TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Cigarette Lighter Removal - How?

Old 11-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette Lighter Removal - How?

I'd like to get to the back of the cigarette lighter to hard wire an XM radio socket. It appears that I need to get into the console from the passenger side to do this.

Can anyone provide me with a procedure to get this done? Or, if anyone has tapped into a wire near the glove box, that could work too?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cigarette Lighter Removal - How?

Try this -

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=19671

Old 11-16-2007, 04:43 PM

crossbowme,
Thanks for the link. I had already read that thread and printed the instructions danimal posted for removing the center console. Instructions say to 1) Remove lower instrument panel. 2) Remove instrument cluster cover. 3) Remove the shifter cover and bezel. Disconnect the power window harness connectors. 4) Remove the rear center console.

Is this the only way to get to the cigarette lighter wiring?? I don't see how it gets me behind the cigarette lighter.

I'm hoping to hear from someone who's done this to put in an XM radio hardwire female socket who can offer me cautions and pitfalls to watch out for.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:49 PM

O.K. I think I've got this figured out myself.

I bought a "Add-A-Circuit" blade fuse that has a pigtail for a seperate wire. I installed the add-a-circuit piggy-backed on the 10A washer fluid heater fuse and ran the wire through the hollow hood foam seal to where it comes out right by the battery.

Tomorrow I'll remove the battery and run the wire through the rubber grommet behind it in the firewall and enter the cabin. From there I'll connect the wire to the 12V plug on the hot side (+) and ground the second wire (-) of the plug someplace under the dash. I should be able to run the XM power cord up along the glove box to the right center vent and mount the XM receiver. There's lots of room under the dash to hide the extra wiring.

This should solve the power supply issue.

Next I'll tackle running the antenna wiring. I'm planning to run the Sure-Connect wire under the door sills, up the side wall, along the upper hatch seal and use the metal connector to attach to the antenna imbedded in the hatch glass. I may then run the magnet antenna wire through the firewall grommet, back up to the plastic wiper cowling and attach it there with double faced tape.

Any comments? Is my methodology defective someplace?

Old 06-21-2008, 04:04 AM

[quote=morlie822]I'd like to get to the back of the cigarette lighter to hard wire an XM radio socket. It appears that I need to get into the console from the passenger side to do this.

Can anyone provide me with a procedure to get this done? Or, if anyone has tapped into a wire near the glove box, that could work too?

wired my xm into fuse block on far left dash fuse box----run wires under hush panel at drivers side and thru the fuse block---wire to any fuse thaqt is switched to 12 volts or you can use a non switched constant 12 volt----xm radio has outo off feature----best to use switched fuse
hope this helps you
mikecrossfire

Old 12-25-2018, 05:50 PM

How is the clip removed from the back of the lighter socket ?

Old 12-25-2018, 10:00 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripster
How is the clip removed from the back of the lighter socket ?
I'll look tomorrow and see if I can figure it out on my spare ash tray unit and let you know.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:56 PM

Thank you very much, I just don’t want to brake the thing. My problem is that I changed the fuse and as soon as I turn the key on it blows again . What I am trying to do is remove the socket from the line to see if I have a bad socket , but it has a strange clamp on the back. Waiting for you response. Ty

Old 12-26-2018, 12:17 AM

Thank you very much, I just don’t want to brake the thing. My problem is that I changed the fuse and as soon as I turn the key on it blows again . What I am trying to do is remove the socket from the line to see if I have a bad socket , but it has a strange clamp on the back. Waiting for you response. Ty
Ah!, the plug slides sideways to remove it, it does not pull off as normal. I found that much out when I removed mine.
As I recall the white part of the socket remains in place, just the top piece comes off.
I hope that helps.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-26-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:23 AM

I will try and let you know. Thank you for the info

Old 12-26-2018, 11:27 AM

I will try and let you know. Thank you for the info
On further inspection, the plug comes out sideways and it leaves a black cover on top of the white piece. The terminals are cornered by this top black piece.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:17 PM

I got the lighter socket off, thanks for your help. I was the problem when I pulled it off and put the new fuse in turned the key , no more blown fuse. Now I need to find a replacement

Old 12-27-2018, 12:24 PM

I got the lighter socket off, thanks for your help. I was the problem when I pulled it off and put the new fuse in turned the key , no more blown fuse. Now I need to find a replacement
What is the secret? That retainer seems to be trapped by a spring tab but I could not get the spring to move.
Inquisitive minds need answers for future problems.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-27-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:23 PM

Does anyone have a cigarette lighter socket you want to sell? Let me know. Thank you

Old 12-27-2018, 11:26 PM

Does anyone have a cigarette lighter socket you want to sell? Let me know. Thank you
These should be common parts, they are made or were made by the millions.
The old one probably has a part number or even a makers name on it somewhere.
I repeat how did you get it out?
Do you just turn it?

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-27-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:28 PM

I can’t find one anywhere, dealer wants 70.00 plus tax, I don’t smoke but I need one to charge my phone I prefer original part.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:40 AM

I can’t find one anywhere, dealer wants 70.00 plus tax, I don’t smoke but I need one to charge my phone I prefer original part.
There is no makers name on it or a part number?
Cheaper from a Mercedes dealer I bet.
We help you, so why can you not say how you got it out?
What I have found is that the charger plug is the cause of the socket being ruined by the constant in and out and being knocked sideways. The plug gets damaged as well
Why not fit a USB charger and use a USB cable to the phone, that is what I intend to do.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-28-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:23 PM

That may be something to think about. I will contact MB and see how much they cost there. Ty

Old 12-29-2018, 06:39 PM

Ok I just ordered the lighter socket found it on amazon , 57.00. Now I need some help with getting a new key fob, called Chrysler they want 900.00 for a new one. I told them to keep it. Is there anyway that I can get one cheeper ? Does it need to be programmed ? I have one good working fob and key I just wanted to have a spare just in case I lose it. Any help would be good. Ty

Old 12-29-2018, 07:18 PM

Ok I just ordered the lighter socket found it on amazon , 57.00. Now I need some help with getting a new key fob, called Chrysler they want 900.00 for a new one. I told them to keep it. Is there anyway that I can get one cheeper ? Does it need to be programmed ? I have one good working fob and key I just wanted to have a spare just in case I lose it. Any help would be good. Ty
Well we have helped you, now help us by telling us how you got the socket out.

Quick Reply: Cigarette Lighter Removal - How?