TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

What fuel stabilizer for storage ?

Old 10-31-2021, 11:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What fuel stabilizer for storage ?

Hi, I’m in Ontario and am going yo store my car this week. Does anybody recommend a stabilizer to add to the tank that’s good for a V-6, high test car? Canadian tire sells one I’m not sure if that is correct for our Crossfires. The bottle doesn’t mention a V-6 so I am afraid of putting the wrong thing in my fuel tank. Any advice thank you so much

Old 10-31-2021, 11:26 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: What fuel stabilizer for storage ?

Originally Posted by Stephie69
Hi, I’m in Ontario and am going yo store my car this week. Does anybody recommend a stabilizer to add to the tank that’s good for a V-6, high test car? Canadian tire sells one I’m not sure if that is correct for our Crossfires. The bottle doesn’t mention a V-6 so I am afraid of putting the wrong thing in my fuel tank. Any advice thank you so much
Sta-bil..............
CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-31-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:29 AM

I found that brand at Canadian tire. Here’s a picture of it and it just makes me worried because it doesn’t look like it goes into a high test engine.

Is this it?

Old 10-31-2021, 01:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 157 Likes on 119 Posts

Yes, that's it. I use Sta-bil in any engine that is not going to be run for several months.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:04 PM

Thank you! The photograph of the lawnmower kind of threw me off. I just wanna be 100% sure I’m using the right thing.

Old 10-31-2021, 02:08 PM
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts

JUST BE SURE you use the correct amount (for the quantity of fuel) in your gas tank!

Old 10-31-2021, 02:49 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I always run my tank down to about a 1/4. Then add the Stabil and fill up tank. Drive a around a little to make sure the Stabil makes its way through the whole fuel system.

Old 10-31-2021, 04:04 PM

Do you put the whole bottle in?

Old 10-31-2021, 04:25 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephie69
Do you put the whole bottle in?
See Post #6.

JUST BE SURE you use the correct amount (for the quantity of fuel) in your gas tank!

Old 10-31-2021, 04:27 PM

No the tank is 60 liters (around 16 gallons). The back of bottle will state amount per gallon. I use a long neck funnel. I would not try going from bottle to tank.

Old 10-31-2021, 04:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Asking what the best fuel stabilizer is similar to asking "what's the best wax for my Crossfire". If do your research you'll find a handful of "this one is the best" fuel stabilizer. Other options are Seafoam, high milage Seafood (new),Techron, Lucus, aviation fuel, etc. Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-31-2021, 04:31 PM

Thank you so much for all this information!
I will add what they recommend with a funnel, then top up with high test. Then run it for at least five minutes.
Tell me if this is correct.
thanks again!

Old 10-31-2021, 04:34 PM

yes

Old 10-31-2021, 08:13 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

have you seen the YouTube video where 1 part distilled water is mixed with ethanol gasoline ?
They put a couple of drops of red food coloring too.
Let is sit a couple of days, the ethanol combines with the water, which is then drawn off leaving pure non-ethanol gasoline.
( haven't tried it myself )

Old 11-01-2021, 03:28 PM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Remember that long ago the old, original STA-BIL was primarily just plain old ethanol with red coloring with some cleaning additives added to it. It was added to pure gasoline prior to storage back then (before we ended up with this ethanol blended crap) to absorb water/condensation that could form in a tank of gas if stored for a while and end up in the pure gasoline where it would not mix with the gas and could be sucked up and pumped through fuel injectors and carbs and into the cylinder and such where water causes serious problems. Since ethanol is already in today's fuels and bonds with water, water building up in stored fuel in the tank is no longer a problem. However, because we now have gas that contains 10%+ ethanol we have a far more serious problem because we are no longer adding a cup of ethanol to an entire tank of pure gasoline to stabilize it but we now have a gallon of that ethanol crap for every 9 gallons of gas in the tank and at that level it ATTRACTS moisture and causes gumming and crud and a pile of problems. So the question is, "Should we use 'fuel stabilizer' these days if we now have ethanol already in the fuel?". The answer is yes but not for the reason we used to use stabilizer that was to absorb water. Now we need it to combat all of the gunk and gumming this ethanol crap creates. So, you can use STA-BIL but today it is nothing more than cleaning solvents to fight the gumming. Its red form is the common form and the green marine form simply doubles the amount of cleaning solvents because ethanol gas used in boats tends to sit longer than gas in car so the added cleaning it provides is better. However, the recommended amounts of STA-BIL to use are quite low because years ago STA-BIL couldn't come out and tell people they now had to use more then they did in the past. So, long story short, if one is going to store their car with ethanol blended fuel in it I say don't screw around with STA-BIL. Put an entire bottle of Sea Foam in the tank (the whole 16 ounces), top it off with gas, drive it around for a while to get it through and system and then forget about it. You'll be getting way more protection due to the amount of cleaning agents you are adding compared to a few squirts of STA-BIL. Sea Foam blows away every other brand of fuel system cleaner on the shelf and has for decades... Everything else is garbage and a waste of $ in my opinion. Just my 2 cents.

The above being said, if I were to park my XF knowing I wouldn't be driving it for over a year, I would run the tank to almost empty (E on the gauge without running out of gas), add (2) 16 oz. cans of Sea Foam and then fill the tank with 100% pure gasoline (if you have stations that sell it in your area) until the pump cuts off. At that point the tank is full and the fuel has started up the fill pipe creating back pressure that cuts the flow off automatically at the handle . Drive it straight home and park it. You get virtually no water condensing in a tank that is full and you don't have that ethanol crap gas sitting in there for an overly extended period.

Last edited by Deepsea21; 11-01-2021 at 04:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Deepsea21:
Franc Rauscher (11-03-2021), LagDan (11-03-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 03:44 PM

Oh wow. I will look up Seafoam and where to buy it.
I have no prior knowledge of any of this.

Much appreciated.

Old 11-01-2021, 03:57 PM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Available at any auto parts store and on Amazon. Costs pretty much the same everywhere. The Crossfire's fuel capacity is about 16 gallons so for routine storage and cleaning you add the entire 16 oz can to the tank but you could even double that to 2 cans for more serious cleaning of the system. It's not going to harm anything. It's been around forever and got its start in the harsh marine industry and environment. Hence the name "Sea Foam".

Last edited by Deepsea21; 11-01-2021 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a trike gold wing I store every winter. For the first two springs I pulled it out I had to remove and clean carbs. The third year I topped with high test and treated with sta-bil and seafoam. done that the past four years with no issues at all.

Old 11-01-2021, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the info. Will for highest test gas.
Not sure how much seafoam and sta-bil to add to the 60 mitre capacity crossfire.

will research

Old 11-03-2021, 01:01 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

I have used Sta-Bil for over 20 years in ethanol-laden gas and and had good results. I used it in Lawn mowers and snow blowers in Michigan - each item sat for 4-5 months EVERY year but would start right away with Sta-Bil in it. All gasoline was up to 10% ethanol. My dad never learned, he'd have awful times trying to start small engines every year, but not me.

I do not store my Crossfire, storing a vehicle, to me, is a bad idea. What I do is add Sta-Bil in the fall and then start the car at least every three weeks and let it run until it gets to operating temperature, I also cycle the top while I am at it. IF there is no salt on the roads, I will drive it around the block or so.

I also, now that I live in rural America, run 100% premium gas in the Crossfire - our premium here is ethanol free, which is as important to me as it's octane rating - for the reasons others have discussed: ethanol in fuel is not good for some components of the fuel system.

Quick Reply: What fuel stabilizer for storage ?