TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Can we check the tranny fluid level?

Old 11-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Can we check the tranny fluid level?

This may sound like a dumb question to some but here goes. Can the tranny fluid level be checked? I did not see anything about this in the owners manual, I have a quarter size puddle of fluid on my garage floor, I believe it to be tranny fluid, I guess the infamous tranny O ring leak has found me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-25-2005, 05:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Can we check the tranny fluid level?

The owner's manual says the tranny is sealed for life. But I find it vary difficult to believe there's no way to check the fluid level. Automatics usually have some kind of dipstick but if you have a 6-speed you're probably going to have to put the car on a lift and find the filler hole. The usual spec is that the fluid should come up to the bottom of the threads.

That being said, I doubt that a quarter-sized puddle will make a noticeable difference in the fluid level. I would recommend cleaning the spot and see if the puddle returns. Alternatively, you could put the car up on ramps or a lift and get underneath it and look for something that's wet.

If you don't have access to a lift (and since you're in Richmond), there's a place off the Midlothian Turnpike that rents lift bays by the hour. If you like I will swing by the place and get you a phone #.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Cool Re: Can we check the tranny fluid level?

Originally Posted by bobs
If you don't have access to a lift (and since you're in Richmond), there's a place off the Midlothian Turnpike that rents lift bays by the hour. If you like I will swing by the place and get you a phone #.
bobs,
Thanks for the offer, I will take it to the dealer on Monday. I am getting very close to my 14,000 mile service and will have it done a little early.

Old 11-28-2005, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can we check the tranny fluid level?

Originally Posted by CrossfireLTD
This may sound like a dumb question to some but here goes. Can the tranny fluid level be checked? I did not see anything about this in the owners manual, I have a quarter size puddle of fluid on my garage floor, I believe it to be tranny fluid, I guess the infamous tranny O ring leak has found me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I had the same symptoms and I just had mine in the shop to replace the o-rings on the 16th. I took about a day and a half and that is with them ordering the o-rings. No more leaks in over a week.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:37 AM
Thumbs up Re: Can we check the tranny fluid level?

Problem fixed and "O" ring replaced. Dealer had the part in stock and I was in and out in less than 2 hours. This problem occurs with 300 and 300C also, Service Mgr. had the forethought to order some for the Xfire to have on hand just in case.