U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

Worst Nightmare: Engine Warning Light!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Worst Nightmare: Engine Warning Light!

After having surgery on my ankle, I've not been able to drive or a couple of weeks so was delighted to take my baby out for a spin with the top down in he sunshine. Imagine my horror when I put her into neutral at traffic lights and put the hand brake on and.....dead. No power. Stalled. Autos shouldn't do this! Can't start her up. Big row of traffic behind. Hazzards go on. PANIC!!!!

After a few minutes she started fine and I carried on.

Started her up again today. No problems and huge relief as I cruised off. Got to traffic lights about a mile down the road and same thing happens. Neutral, handbrake, engine dies, wont start but this time the Engine Warning Light comes on. Well! I felt sick.

Right, so, after the tears, cold sweats, sickness, images of bankrupcy and cries of, "That's it! I might as well drive it into a wall and claim on the insurance!" (I can be a tad irrational at times lol!) I decided to actually look in the owner's manual. And this is what it says - "Certain conditions such as a loose or missing gas cap....may illuminate the light..." NO, it can't be!!! Checked he fuel cap as it wasn't me who last put fuel in her and as it opened a big hiss...put it back on and turned on the engine. WARNING LIGHT IS GONE!!

I couldn't believe it was such a simple little thing as a fuel cap that wasn't quite on right so I thought I'd share just in case it happens to anyone else. Check the pesky fuel cap! Relief is not the word!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Worst Nightmare: Engine Warning Light!

It seems highly unlikely it was the gas cap that actually caused your engine to stall. It sounds like your gas cap was tight anyway holding pressure the way it should.

I would suggest you might need to purchase a solder iron in the near future.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html

James

Last edited by James1549; 04-25-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 PM

Wow! Thanks for that link! Although the engine light has gone out now and all seems to be well, I will have a look at that for sure!

Old 04-27-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by James1549
It seems highly unlikely it was the gas cap that actually caused your engine to stall. It sounds like your gas cap was tight anyway holding pressure the way it should.

I would suggest you might need to purchase a solder iron in the near future.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html

James
Ok! It looks like you are right about this one! Won't start now but all electrics working. Just had a diagnostic done by the breakdown organisation & it's comming up with something like 'crank shaft sensor' ????? Signal failure so car doesn't know when to send fuel (am I making sense?) he doesn't know if it's the sending or the recording of the signal that's the problem. So, if it's the relay module thing - sorry but technical stuff isn't my thing at all!- could that be the sensor that is mentioned in this post? Would be grateful for any advice!

Old 04-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Rowanbud
Ok! It looks like you are right about this one! Won't start now but all electrics working. Just had a diagnostic done by the breakdown organisation & it's comming up with something like 'crank shaft sensor' ????? Signal failure so car doesn't know when to send fuel (am I making sense?) he doesn't know if it's the sending or the recording of the signal that's the problem. So, if it's the relay module thing - sorry but technical stuff isn't my thing at all!- could that be the sensor that is mentioned in this post? Would be grateful for any advice!
It is the crankshaft position sensor, NOT the relay control module. Change it asap as it will not get better only worse. They are reasonably easy to change. Not sure of the price in the UK $60 - $100 in NA.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post143294

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-27-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
It is the crankshaft position sensor, NOT the relay control module. Change it asap as it will not get better only worse. They are reasonably easy to change. Not sure of the price in the UK $60 - $100 in NA.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post143294
That's it. Thank you! Just typical it's a 4 day weekend comming up! Oh well... At least it's fixable.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:53 PM

After having surgery on my ankle, I've not been able to drive or a couple of weeks so was delighted to take my baby out for a spin with the top down in he sunshine. Imagine my horror when I put her into neutral at traffic lights and put the hand brake on and.....dead. No power. Stalled. Autos shouldn't do this! Can't start her up. Big row of traffic behind. Hazzards go on. PANIC!!!!

After a few minutes she started fine and I carried on.

Started her up again today. No problems and huge relief as I cruised off. Got to traffic lights about a mile down the road and same thing happens. Neutral, handbrake, engine dies, wont start but this time the Engine Warning Light comes on. Well! I felt sick.

Right, so, after the tears, cold sweats, sickness, images of bankrupcy and cries of, "That's it! I might as well drive it into a wall and claim on the insurance!" (I can be a tad irrational at times lol!) I decided to actually look in the owner's manual. And this is what it says - "Certain conditions such as a loose or missing gas cap....may illuminate the light..." NO, it can't be!!! Checked he fuel cap as it wasn't me who last put fuel in her and as it opened a big hiss...put it back on and turned on the engine. WARNING LIGHT IS GONE!!

I couldn't believe it was such a simple little thing as a fuel cap that wasn't quite on right so I thought I'd share just in case it happens to anyone else. Check the pesky fuel cap! Relief is not the word!
my srt4 died twice on me in traffic just shut off. And kept blowing the engine management fuse. Well after changing the fuel pump figuring it was shorting out it did it again. I crawled under the dash and looked and there was a wire rubbing on a piece of metal above the gas pedal shorting out lol.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

It's always something....good thing we have this forum...CPS goes bad on the XF regularly, but I recently found other makes are having the same problem as well....Ford diesels trucks lose the CPS...etc. The RCM does need to be looked at though. I haven't done mine yet and need to get on it..

Old 04-27-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
It's always something....good thing we have this forum...CPS goes bad on the XF regularly, but I recently found other makes are having the same problem as well....Ford diesels trucks lose the CPS...etc. The RCM does need to be looked at though. I haven't done mine yet and need to get on it..
Yes indeed! Thank goodness for this forum! It has saved me much worry and expense already and I've only had the car for 7 months!

Funny you should mention Ford trucks as the tow truck driver who brought us home said he had a Ford truck and he same had happened to it recently.

I think it's possibly something that can be done in advance before it causes a problem. I wonder if, like the steering damper, it will become an every-so-often regular maintenance job to pre-empt problems.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:27 PM

Yes indeed! Thank goodness for this forum! It has saved me much worry and expense already and I've only had the car for 7 months!

Funny you should mention Ford trucks as the tow truck driver who brought us home said he had a Ford truck and he same had happened to it recently.

I think it's possibly something that can be done in advance before it causes a problem. I wonder if, like the steering damper, it will become an every-so-often regular maintenance job to pre-empt problems.
the CPS is a fairly easy fix. Behind the throttle body, driver side, back of motor. Wires plugged into it. I believe someone on here has posted a photo of the location...the RCM is a soldering problem...there is a link for that as well...Tighed1 will even do the fix for you, but mailing across the pond might not be the best, dollar or pound wise...lol

Old 04-27-2011, 06:36 PM

the CPS is a fairly easy fix. Behind the throttle body, driver side, back of motor. Wires plugged into it. I believe someone on here has posted a photo of the location...the RCM is a soldering problem...there is a link for that as well...Tighed1 will even do the fix for you, but mailing across the pond might not be the best, dollar or pound wise...lol
He will not even ship to Canada I'm told but we are a self sufficient lot and can do things ourselves.
I even have a spare and the soldering on that is **** too.
The CPS is damaged by heat it appears and all cars with a CPS will or could have this problem. Why they cannot make a more robust one is beyond me, maybe when a few people get killed because of it somebody will come up with one.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-27-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:45 PM

you mean DJ won't ship to Canada? I haven't even looked at mine yet...probably need to do that soon before the next road trip. Been looking for a spare, haven't found one yet. My junk yard, salage yard, whatever, hasn't come across an SRT6 yet...still waiting...

Old 04-27-2011, 07:18 PM

you mean DJ won't ship to Canada? I haven't even looked at mine yet...probably need to do that soon before the next road trip. Been looking for a spare, haven't found one yet. My junk yard, salage yard, whatever, hasn't come across an SRT6 yet...still waiting...
They are called recyclers now in this age of green. Junkyard dogs are gone too, they are recycling dogs now, just like a dog we had that ate his own crap.
The RCM is the same in all models I believe.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:34 AM

Hmm part from Chrysler £130! MB, who are usually very helpful, wouldn't even quote for the part! My local MB independent fitting part for £85 & doing it today!!!! I can breath a sigh of relief!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the soldering thing anyway as its dead easy and free. I did mine a little while ago - used a camera on macro to examine the solder joints and 2 were rubbish.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by muskrat
Do the soldering thing anyway as its dead easy and free. I did mine a little while ago - used a camera on macro to examine the solder joints and 2 were rubbish.
Yes good idea. Well....I'll print out the instructions & get my other half to do it lol! All good now. Flippin' nuicance it's been!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't done mine yet and need to get on it..
We need to have a drink and do some soldering one day, it looks like

PS: new wheels ordered (don't tell anyone LOL)

Old 04-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Doc you been sayin' that you were gonna look at yer's for months! Git on it!
08-07-2010 , 05:44 PM
DJ.....this is great to know....both of mine have set since the CAA, I should have sent both to you....oh well, I will wait until I am stuck somewhere...lol

Don't know where the won't ship to Canada thingy came from. I already did one from there. Just gonna cost more for postage.

Oh. By the way all. the RCM problem won't throw a fault light. The CPS will.
Rowanbud's problem is CPS. Check the fault code to verify.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Doc you been sayin' that you were gonna look at yer's for months! Git on it!
08-07-2010 , 05:44 PM

Don't know where the won't ship to Canada thingy came from. I already did one from there. Just gonna cost more for postage.

Oh. By the way all. the RCM problem won't throw a fault light. The CPS will.
Rowanbud's problem is CPS. Check the fault code to verify.
Yup - the engine warning light came on but only the 2nd time it conked out.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by tighed1

Sorry about the shipping to Canada slip, I got my info from a post somewhere here.
The PDF you did should be more prominent, as its easier to print out.
If you have not changed the solder used to specify resin cored solder you should, acid flux solder will do a lot of harm over the long term.

Quick Reply: Worst Nightmare: Engine Warning Light!