U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

Rear wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rear wheel bearing

Just thought i'd let you know my latest frustration.
Had the dreaded stripped wheel nut in the hub scenario, when I took the car to have the alloys and light lens refurbed. Looks like some idiot had put the wheels back on and crossthreaded 3 bolts on the passenger side rear, when the previous owner had had some work done. So a new hub is ordered last wednesday took until monday to arrive they go to fit it and lo and behold the bearing is no good. I ask how much to supply and fit new one £140 + vat, I say for a bearing. I ask can you use a pattern part, apprently euro car parts don't list a rear bearing for an XF but do for a merc 320SLK ( my previous ride). A long story cut short after about 90 minutes cross referencing american parts suppliers you guessed it , it's the same part. I bought one for £40 from a motor factors and it is being fitted as we speak.
The mercedes part number is A2029800116, should any body need it.
Moral of the story is a little bit of research can literally save you a ton of dosh.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Rear wheel bearing

How hard is it to put a bolt on the wheel, let alone 3 of them.... Hell I could see 1 getting cross-threaded, but 3.... I am sure they won't be doing anymore work for you... I am sure they ruined the bearing too....lol...

Old 07-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Smile Re: Rear wheel bearing

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
How hard is it to put a bolt on the wheel, let alone 3 of them.... Hell I could see 1 getting cross-threaded, but 3.... I am sure they won't be doing anymore work for you... I am sure they ruined the bearing too....lol...
Wish I knew who did it. I would go and present them with the bill I got. On a positive note, I can now go back to admiring the XF thru the kitchen window every morning as soon as I get up. I really missed my Babe

Old 07-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Wink Re: Rear wheel bearing

Just to cap it all, the wheel hub that took 4 days to arrive from Fiat was a mercedes part with a FIAT label stuck on the outside of the box. I will post part number in the morning for anyone who encounters a similar problem.

FIAT = FIX IT AGAIN TONI

Old 07-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: Rear wheel bearing

Originally Posted by Mr Kilmouski
Just to cap it all, the wheel hub that took 4 days to arrive from Fiat was a mercedes part with a FIAT label stuck on the outside of the box. I will post part number in the morning for anyone who encounters a similar problem.

FIAT = FIX IT AGAIN TONI
Keeping with the Italian theme.

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet
;

From Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

Just be thankful it was not made on Monday morning by an Italian saddened by the loss to Spain in the Euro Cup by a score of 4-0.