U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

Tyre repair kit SRT

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre repair kit SRT

The kit was missing when I bought the car - as I've just re-taxed for the summer (eternal optimist), thought I shouldn't push my luck too much!
Are these kits pretty much all the same - or should I be looking for something specific...?
Any advice much appreciated

Old 04-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Tyre repair kit SRT

Originally Posted by crosscats
The kit was missing when I bought the car - as I've just re-taxed for the summer (eternal optimist), thought I shouldn't push my luck too much!
Are these kits pretty much all the same - or should I be looking for something specific...?
Any advice much appreciated
The pump and the bottle are the same in all models.
You can probably find a pump, but good luck on the bottle, and if you do find one, I'm not too sure it will be any good after 6 or 7 years .......

Old 04-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire
The pump and the bottle are the same in all models.
You can probably find a pump, but good luck on the bottle, and if you do find one, I'm not too sure it will be any good after 6 or 7 years .......
Bottle is available.. Bluecat88 I think.. one of our T-bones that moved on to a spider.. dunno about that shipping to UK though.. in the for sale section

Old 04-22-2013, 07:00 PM
pct

Does the original stuff in the kit leave the tyre repairable? most sealants trash the tyre and it cant be repaired again.

If not I would just carry a can of tyre weld in the boot.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:52 PM

Thanks guys.
Can't afford to worry about the tyre after the event - getting back on the road home would be the priority - unless anyone with experience can offer any sagely advice...?
Amazon are offering a neat little zip bag with a bottle of Slime and a pump at a good price. It just (only just) fits in the right-hand cavity under the boot liner so at least I now have some peace of mind - just hope it's not a false sense of security - but at least the customer reviews were very positive - some saying the repair was so good their tyre is still holding up months later...!

Old 04-25-2013, 05:43 PM
pct

The only advantage of the original kit would be if it made a repair which could then be cleaned out and plugged properly by a tyre company afterwards, I know some of the really expensive kits are sold on the promise that the tyre can be cleaned up and plugged afterwards whereas the usual tyre weld will get you home but most tyre companies wont attempt a repair on your tyre afterwards as the foam prevents a proper repair by a plug regardless of how much they try to clean it.

I must admit after struggling on a motorway hard shoulder in the pouring rain in the past with a puncture and a locking wheel nut which wouldnt budge whilst getting soaked and blown about by passing wagons I now carry a can of the cheap stuff in the boot of my everyday car and i'm prepared to trash a tyre by putting it in to get me home or to a safer place if necessary.

I'm concerned about people reviewing the stuff you are looking at and saying how long the repair lasts, any foam fepair is only an emergency measure and you need to get it sorted properly at a tyre company as soon as possible, here's an example of why -

I stuck tyreweld in my Merc to get me home one night, it did 100 miles down the motorway no problem and was still inflated on the driveway the next morning, but I drove the car down to the tyre dealer anyway and told them what had happened so they pulled the tyre off and found the puncture, I knew I would be buying a new tyre after using the foam but when the fella called me through to show me what had happened I realised how lucky i'd been.

The puncture had been initially caused by a 1.5in woodscrew about an inch from the inside edge of the tread, i'd looked around the tyre on the car when it went down but couldnt see anything due it being so far inboard, anyway the foam had sealed it but the tip of the screw had then spent 100 miles slowly chafing away at the inside of the tyre wall to a point that a half inch diameter portion of the tyre wall was now about as thick as a rubber glove, you could push your finger through it like elastic, another few miles and i'd have had a blow out.

So any foam repair is only to get you home or to a tyre dealer, you need to know what caused the puncture asap.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

^^^ And this is why I find what caused the problem and just carry a plug kit. OEM jug is in the trunk for nostalgia only..

Old 04-25-2013, 06:23 PM
pct

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
^^^ And this is why I find what caused the problem and just carry a plug kit. OEM jug is in the trunk for nostalgia only..
I've just been looking at those and i'm going to buy a couple of those dynaplug kits at the weekend and keep a kit in both cars

Old 04-25-2013, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by pct
The only advantage of the original kit would be if it made a repair which could then be cleaned out and plugged properly by a tyre company afterwards, I know some of the really expensive kits are sold on the promise that the tyre can be cleaned up and plugged afterwards whereas the usual tyre weld will get you home but most tyre companies wont attempt a repair on your tyre afterwards as the foam prevents a proper repair by a plug regardless of how much they try to clean it.

I must admit after struggling on a motorway hard shoulder in the pouring rain in the past with a puncture and a locking wheel nut which wouldnt budge whilst getting soaked and blown about by passing wagons I now carry a can of the cheap stuff in the boot of my everyday car and i'm prepared to trash a tyre by putting it in to get me home or to a safer place if necessary.

I'm concerned about people reviewing the stuff you are looking at and saying how long the repair lasts, any foam fepair is only an emergency measure and you need to get it sorted properly at a tyre company as soon as possible, here's an example of why -

I stuck tyreweld in my Merc to get me home one night, it did 100 miles down the motorway no problem and was still inflated on the driveway the next morning, but I drove the car down to the tyre dealer anyway and told them what had happened so they pulled the tyre off and found the puncture, I knew I would be buying a new tyre after using the foam but when the fella called me through to show me what had happened I realised how lucky i'd been.

The puncture had been initially caused by a 1.5in woodscrew about an inch from the inside edge of the tread, i'd looked around the tyre on the car when it went down but couldnt see anything due it being so far inboard, anyway the foam had sealed it but the tip of the screw had then spent 100 miles slowly chafing away at the inside of the tyre wall to a point that a half inch diameter portion of the tyre wall was now about as thick as a rubber glove, you could push your finger through it like elastic, another few miles and i'd have had a blow out.

So any foam repair is only to get you home or to a tyre dealer, you need to know what caused the puncture asap.
Totally agree - a salutary tale!
I was going to mention the temporary nature of such repairs but was in a hurry with my earlier post. You're right of course - a tyre full of gunge should no more be seen as a permanent solution than a spacesaver spare - I know of folks claiming to do only local mileage thinking it's OK to go on using the spacesaver for weeks after their puncture - just too tight to buy a new tyre - ridiculous - and dangerous!
Always get any DIY repair professionally checked asap - and be prepared to buy a new tyre.