West Forum Serving AZ, CA, HI, NV.

SoCal Drive-out and Car Show

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SoCal Drive-out and Car Show

Who is up for a nice twisty drive and great car show?

It's that time of year. This past weekend, I went to 3 car shows here in San Diego. They weren't very interesting, mostly hot rods and classic muscle.

May 22nd I'm heading for Julian. It is a nice twisty drive up the low mountains, east of San Diego County. They have an awsome car show. This years theme is "Trans-Am Racers". They will also have lots of other cars from 1900 to now.

I'll post their website. Go to their site, read all about it and if anyone is interested in heading up there early Sunday morning, for a fun day, give me a call and we can all meet somewhere and head up there as a group. The parking is free and they will let groups and clubs park together. It is $5 to get into the car show. It is held at a local winery, so there will be food and drinks available.

julianclassicmotoringshow.com

Anyone interested, call me @ 619-276-5462 (Glen)

Old 05-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Default Re: SoCal Drive-out and Car Show

I'm game!

Will give you a call later this week. Am posting this in hopes of generating more interest.

OK So. Cal. Crossfire owners, especially those in San Diego, you've been pining for a meet and now here is your opportunity! Julian is close by, the drive there is pleasant, and the trip will be relatively inexpensive. Plus you get to ogle cool TransAms and sample the local wine. And if we get at least six members to show up I'll throw in naked dancing girls. Or maybe a card trick instead.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:44 PM

Brent,

Thanks for the lone reply. I can't believe there hasn't been a comment or two.

I just got off the phone with the Julian C of C. They told me they have well over a hundred cars registered for the show.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:12 PM

Geogramps and I are going to hookup at 9 AM Sunday in the parking lot of Casa Machado, the restaurant at Montgomery Field, SD.

OK, we are going to have a Crossfire meet. There may only be the two of us, but it will be a meet.

If anyone else would like to join us, get on Aero Drive between 15 and 163. Turn north on John Montgomery Drive and go a quarter mile until John Montgomery Dr makes a turn west. Keep going straight and you will enter the parking lot. Have fun spotting the Crossfires in the lot.

Hope to see a few more owners this Sunday!

Old 05-21-2011, 07:57 PM

Right now, it looks like 2 of us in the morning. I just finished puting the third coat of Meguiar's Ultimate Detail Spray on the XF. It is sooooo slik, there is virtualy no friction from the air.
I hope Brent and his SRT-6 can keep up with my N/A Coupe.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent
Geogramps and I are going to hookup at 9 AM Sunday in the parking lot of Casa Machado, the restaurant at Montgomery Field, SD.

OK, we are going to have a Crossfire meet. There may only be the two of us, but it will be a meet.

If anyone else would like to join us, get on Aero Drive between 15 and 163. Turn north on John Montgomery Drive and go a quarter mile until John Montgomery Dr makes a turn west. Keep going straight and you will enter the parking lot. Have fun spotting the Crossfires in the lot.

Hope to see a few more owners this Sunday!
Dude that's like 2 miles from where I used to live. (Phyllis Place)
Lets go San Diego Crossfires!
REPRESENT!

Old 05-21-2011, 11:50 PM

No problem keeping up with you, Geo, unless I start pulling sparkplugs.

Hey Tighed1, it's amazing how small this world can be. Back in the later 80s I moved to San Diego and started working at a new job. A coworker had references to MN pinned up and being originally from MN myself, I asked him where he was from. Turns out that as kids in the late 60s/early 70s he lived down the street and around the corner from me. We knew the same neighborhood kids and might have even met or even been at each other's house at some point.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have loved to go but had some work commitments as we sponsored the Concorso Ferrari event in Pasadena today.

Hopefully next time though!

Old 05-22-2011, 09:10 PM

And you couldn't "borrow" a Ferrari to drive on down and visit? I am so disappointed in you!

Though the morning was cloudy and chilly with occasional light sprinkles, by the time we got to Julian it was warm and sunny.

The number of cars was on the light side so I'm guessing the weather discouraged more from showing up. Stil, got to see cars I've never seen before so all was good.

Tragic news however. None of the pics I took showed up in playback on my camera. Noticed this after I got home and was taking pics of a sunning lizard on my patio. Good news is that I was able to recover all of the pics with a data recovery program. Looks like I'm going to have to retire a memory card though.

The pics! They are pretty self explanatory. The Caddy and Chevelle pulled in after I had swapped lens to a wide angle one so that's what I used. A smidgeon of distortion but I love the colors the wa produces.

Attached Thumbnails SoCal Drive-out and Car Show-barracuda.jpg   SoCal Drive-out and Car Show-camaro.jpg   SoCal Drive-out and Car Show-cobra.jpg   SoCal Drive-out and Car Show-gt.jpg   SoCal Drive-out and Car Show-morgan.jpg  

SoCal Drive-out and Car Show-scuderia.jpg   SoCal Drive-out and Car Show-chevelle-cadillac-wide-angle.jpg  
Old 05-22-2011, 09:18 PM

Forgot to mention in my first post that Glen has an absolutely beautiful SSB coupe. Makes me question my decision to go with Aero Blue.

And the final pics. Of course no trip to Julian is complete until one leaves with the obligatory pie.

Attached Thumbnails SoCal Drive-out and Car Show-pierce-arrow.jpg   SoCal Drive-out and Car Show-pierce-arrow-rear.jpg   SoCal Drive-out and Car Show-shelby.jpg   SoCal Drive-out and Car Show-unidentified.jpg   SoCal Drive-out and Car Show-caddy-chevy-scudy-wide-angle.jpg  

SoCal Drive-out and Car Show-show-grounds-wide-angle.jpg   SoCal Drive-out and Car Show-mmmmm-apple-pie.jpg  
Old 05-22-2011, 11:48 PM

Hey guys, congratulations, you got one under your belt. Glad to see you had a great time. Brent I don't wanna hear no bad on the Aero Blue, it is a true chick magnet. Keep it up and shoot for 4 cars then 6. We shoot for 10, settle for 5, and usually last minute wind up with 8
Good Luck

John P
FTroopChief

Old 05-23-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Brent
Forgot to mention in my first post that Glen has an absolutely beautiful SSB coupe. Makes me question my decision to go with Aero Blue.

And the final pics. Of course no trip to Julian is complete until one leaves with the obligatory pie.
Thanks for the kind words about my car. Aero Blue looks nice, but I do like SSB better. I think I could be talked into an even swap though, as long as that Aero Blue has SRT-6 after it.

Sunday was a fun time. I learned to important things.
(1) Get rid of my Point and Shoot Camera.
(2) Get an SRT-6 ASAP!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:49 PM

Negative on the swap! Not even if you had a red convertible, though I'd think about that one.

As for the camera, if you want to move beyond what a point and shoot can do then a DSLR is currently the only way to go. P&S today are surprisingly good, but the DSLRs are on a whole different level.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:00 AM

Speaking of red convertibles. Did you see the Red Roadster coming towards us? I had to stop at the light at Poway Road and it turned in front of me heading towards Poway.

Nice pics. The only thing missing is a shot of the two blues sitting next to each other.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:35 PM

I did see the red convertible and at first thought it was a Sebring.

Wasn't going to head back the same way we came but decided at the last minute to take the quicker route home.

The pics I took of our Crossfires at the airport didn't come out very well. I had played with my camera the day before and had set the exposure way too high. Didn't catch this until the car show.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:54 AM

Thats too bad about the pics. I noticed how vibrant the colors were in the car show pics.

I'm ready to go again!

"Cars and Coffee" next month?

Old 05-26-2011, 01:11 AM

The Montgomery Field pics aren't too bad but when I tone the exposure down the colors are off. The other pics look saturated because I used the "Vibrant" and "Bright" color profiles.

A C&C meet sounds good. I would suggest a meeting near the end of June so there is plenty of time to advertise the event.

Feel free in taking the reins in arranging this. All you have to do is set a date, choose a gathering spot for SD owners if we decide to caravan up, and pick a restaurant to eat at afterwards. Hopefully one of the LA crew can recommend a restaurant and a twisty road for us to tear up.

Also, it's best to start a new thread for the C&C meet. That will keep the event from getting lost in this older thread.

Oh oh, looks like you've been drafted as event coordinator.

Congratulations!

I do have one pic with both our Crossfires in it. One merely has to look for them.

Attached Thumbnails SoCal Drive-out and Car Show-find-crossfires.jpg