Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Anyone go from Conti OEM to the Pilot Sport A/S?

Old 09-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone go from Conti OEM to the Pilot Sport A/S?

Hello,

I know tires are a topic beaten to death, but I couldn't find any specific reviews here on the Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons.

They're quite a bit more $$ than the Continentals, but I think I'm going to go for those. My car now has 36K on it, and the stock tires are shot.

Has anyone else gone from the OEM Continentals to the Pilot Sport All Seasons? And was the difference worth the extra $$? Also, I'm wondering if the Michelins will have a longer tread life, or if 30 - 35K is typical.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Anyone go from Conti OEM to the Pilot Sport A/S?

Funny you should mention that because I'm looking to go in the opposite direction. My PS2's stick really well, but are useless in the snow and almost down to the wear bars at 31,000 miles. Granted, a vast majority of my driving has been highway miles, and I love the stick of the PS2's, but its going to cost me almost $1,000 for a new set of skins. I'm looking at the Conti's because they're a lot cheaper and are supposed to stick almost as well. I don't want ot hijack you thread, but if anyone has experience with going from the PS2's to the Conti's, I'd love to hear it.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:55 PM

My Continentals were decent in the winter. Although I never drove it in really heavy snow since it was a mild winter. They definitely stick well in wet weather and light snow. Grip well in dry too...I couldn't really even get a squeal out of them pushing the car through corners. They should be great for the little snow you get in VA(compared to New England). It's not that I don't like the tires, but I like changing it up.

I wouldn't expect much more than 30K miles, and I've been told by every tire shop I've talked to because the size of the tire/being a performance based tire, none of them are going to last much longer. Then again I love taking on & off-ramps as hard as I can, so that probably has a little to do with it.

I also read about the Yokohama Advant(?) all seasons on tire rack...looks like they'd be a few hundred cheaper and scored about the same as the Pilots during their road tests.

Last edited by slaps76; 09-18-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If that's the case, then I would say go for the PS2s. They're a little slippery when they're cold but once they're warmed up their grip is amazing.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Forum Regular

I have both the Ps2s and the contis. The ps2s are on my chrome summer wheels and the conti on my winter wheels. The ps2s are very sticky, I give you that. Maybe too sticky and too stiff. The ride from those compared to the contis is very stiff and punishing. Maybe I am getting old, but I like a smooth touring ride over a harsh sporty ride these days. And I think the ps2s are too touchy on regular roads. They seem to grab any irregularity in the road and throw the car from one side to the other as it tramlines. I am replacing the ps2s with the contis on my chrome summer wheels as soon as I get a chance.
Just my opinion. If I were racing the car on the track I would take the ps2s any day.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:04 PM

I ended up ordering the pilot all seasons, should have them on this weekend.

I think you guys are referring to the stock pilots, which are not the all-seasons, but summer tires. Either way, I don't mind a harsher ride in exchange for grip. And I don't think you'll be disappointed with the contis either, the car's still no slouch in the corners with those.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely hate the Conti all seasons on my car. They do not hold the road well at all. Any spirited driving (less than WOT) will end up with the car waggling it's rear back and forth as the tires slide across the road. I'm not talking about roasting the tires. This comes at anything near 3/4 throttle. There's no squealing, just a wondering back end and ESP intervention.
The fronts like to go straight and push right through on and off ramps. Get the car set in a constant radius cloverleaf and apply minimal throttle. That will shove the fronts straight to the curb every time. The lateral load isn't even that high.
I'm torn. I don't want to spend money on tires but I hate these stinkin things. My '86 FWD Dodge handled off ramps better with it's bottom of the barrel 205/50-15 Khumos.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:54 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want a good performance handling tire for dry and wet pavement, try the Goodyear Eagle F1. Excellent tire, and a nice looking tire too, but if you drive in snow they won't perform well at all.

Last edited by FP; 09-24-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Goodyear is what I have in mind to replace these Contis.
It's rated the same as the Michelin PS2 but can be had $260 less for a set of four.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:05 PM

So far I like the Pilot A/S. I haven't really pushed the car too hard in corners yet, but it turns in pretty crisp and seems to have a ton of grip. For the $$ they better be good!

Old 10-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Forum Regular

Just got my new set of Contis installed. Now I am cruising in smooth quiet comfort. And with the new Sprintbooster I can break these tires free at will. Taking corners and hanging the tail out is more fun than anyone should have. Traction is great if it were a race, but I 'll take a tire that I can have fun with first. You may beat me through the corner, but I will have more fun doing it with the tail responding to my right foot.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Forum Regular

My factory conti all season tires work great except when I'm driving down the road and come across a raise in the road. Like what you get from paving one layer of asphalt on another and you have a seem. My tires hit that and its like a railroad rail they want to follow the imperfection.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Forum Regular

I have noticed that this is a characteristic of this car. It does seem to hunt sometimes. Actually the term for it is tramlining. Every wide, low profile tire will do it. I will say that the effect is much more obvious when the tires are worn. I had a set of old Contis that were worn down pretty low and they tramlined like crazy. Got new ones and the effect was much more subdued. No other changes, so it was the tires. Another thing to look at is the steering dampener. I had mine replaced once and it made a big difference. Problem is it wears so gradually you don't notice it. I just bought a new one on e bay for $20. Pretty easy to install also. Like a shock absorber for your steering.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by knowit
I have noticed that this is a characteristic of this car. It does seem to hunt sometimes. Actually the term for it is tramlining. Every wide, low profile tire will do it. I will say that the effect is much more obvious when the tires are worn. I had a set of old Contis that were worn down pretty low and they tramlined like crazy. Got new ones and the effect was much more subdued. No other changes, so it was the tires. Another thing to look at is the steering dampener. I had mine replaced once and it made a big difference. Problem is it wears so gradually you don't notice it. I just bought a new one on e bay for $20. Pretty easy to install also. Like a shock absorber for your steering.
Can you share a part number or an ebay link. For that amount of money I'll just buy one and put it on.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Forum Regular

Here is the ebay item number:

Old 10-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks, bought it. We'll see how it works.