Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

well, I replaced mine at 20k and it made a huge difference. I then did some track days with the car, and the unresponsive steering returned. Put on a new stabilizer, and the responsiveness came back. I think this steering setup is working the damper really hard, and for what they cost, they can't be built very well. I would love to find one with a little more heavy duty, like the one on my old RV....or truck, but that may cause other steering problems. I just plan on replacing mine every 4-5k of hard driving. I think if you aren't driving them hard thru the twisties, they might last longer....

Old 04-03-2011, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced mine about 8 mths ago as it was weeping oil, luckily it was replaced under warranty from the dealer that sold me the car, but only after a LOT of phone calls from me. In Australia they are $1370....... remembering our dollar is now slightly above yours, and you lucky blokes only have to pay $35, so thats where my next damper will be coming from! And our fuel is now $7.20 per gallon for premium 95 ron!!

Cheers, Exocet

Old 04-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Found this description by Merceds-Benz of their Recirculating-Ball steering system.

Attached Files
Old 04-04-2011, 07:17 PM

thanks man. I haven't seen this before....

Old 04-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Found this description by Merceds-Benz of their Recirculating-Ball steering system.
Has anyone done this steering adjusting screw procedure? And if so, was it off by much, and did it help with any steering issues?

Old 04-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Forum Regular

This amazes me. First that there is a part that can be purchased for $20 that does something. Second, that it has such a short life cycle. We have wide wheels and tires, ball steering, short wheel base but were taking about replacing this in less than 20k miles in some cases. Parts should last at least as long as the MFG's warranty.

Sure be interesting to hear from someone that can do a push pull test comparison on new and old.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by arejohn
This amazes me. First that there is a part that can be purchased for $20 that does something. Second, that it has such a short life cycle. We have wide wheels and tires, ball steering, short wheel base but were taking about replacing this in less than 20k miles in some cases. Parts should last at least as long as the MFG's warranty.

Sure be interesting to hear from someone that can do a push pull test comparison on new and old.
Are the cheap dampers the same as the more expensive ones? Probably not.
From Benzworld, a comparison of recirculating ball and rack and pinion steering.
recirculating-ball vs rack-and-pinion - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Old 04-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Are the cheap dampers the same as the more expensive ones?
Dave, I would love to see some more comments about this, because as far as I have read, no one has reported any noticeable differences in the several 'different' ones that are out there.

IMO it is more based on how you drive the car, and what condition your local roads are in. If you race and autocross, 5-10K miles is a good life for a part with this function, after all, we are talking about a $30 part and most guys go through a $1200 set of tires in 10-12K miles.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Dave, I would love to see some more comments about this, because as far as I have read, no one has reported any noticeable differences in the several 'different' ones that are out there.

IMO it is more based on how you drive the car, and what condition your local roads are in. If you race and autocross, 5-10K miles is a good life for a part with this function, after all, we are talking about a $30 part and most guys go through a $1200 set of tires in 10-12K miles.
You are right, people doing more and harsher steering corrections put more load on the damper than those traveling the roads. Even a $100 part changed after 20,000 miles is a trivial cost.
All dynamic seals leak, they have to or they would not last 10 miles in this application. I doubt there is a major oil loss. The metering valve probably fails, a 10 cent part most likely.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:33 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Are the cheap dampers the same as the more expensive ones? Probably not.
Dave- No the cheap dampers are less expensive !!!! Hope that helps.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 PM

I put the roadster thru a lot of hard driving. The coupe I don't. The coupe handles tremendously better than the roadster. Now it just might be the coupe is a better handling car, than a roadster....really don't know...but I enjoy pushing the coupe more now...

Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I put the roadster thru a lot of hard driving. The coupe I don't. The coupe handles tremendously better than the roadster. Now it just might be the coupe is a better handling car, than a roadster....really don't know...but I enjoy pushing the coupe more now...
I think it might be a little more rigid, but the lines are sooooo much nicer

I knew you would come over the dark side LOL

Old 04-24-2011, 01:55 PM

I have used damper on the steering of motorcycles that look the same and have adjustable damping rates. Ohlins and many other companies make a lots of different sizes and configurations. Could it be possible to buy one of these and have it last a lot longer? Just thought. could be a mounting issue...

Old 04-24-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chill
I have used damper on the steering of motorcycles that look the same and have adjustable damping rates. Ohlins and many other companies make a lots of different sizes and configurations. Could it be possible to buy one of these and have it last a lot longer? Just thought. could be a mounting issue...
I am aware of such dampeners....but, I don't know of any made for our cars...certainly a difference in quality from one to another...

Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chill
If someone were to contact them and possibly send them specs on the unit (not exactly sure where we would get those) they may be able to make us something, or have a part that would work.

But as I said, for a $30 mercedes part, I don't mind replacing mine once a year

Old 05-04-2011, 07:10 PM

we are talking about a $30 part and most guys go through a $1200 set of tires in 10-12K miles.
AMEN!! In 1 year! Tell me about it!

Old 05-04-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u

It's not uncommon for a coupe to handle better. After all, it has a rigid roof for structural support.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:38 PM

Boy Im glad to find this post Chrysler dealer wanted $ 295 for parts and labor, Unbeleivable! Thanks for all the Info!

Old 05-20-2011, 10:30 PM

When did Chrysler have a change of heart for screwing their customers. That $650.00 steering damper now has a MSRP of $148.00

Old 06-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but...

How many steering stabilizers are there? When I visited JoeTLC and clicked "buy now", it put 2 of the stabilizers in my cart...totalling $39.90.

So do I need two of them?

Thanks,
Eric

Quick Reply: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.