Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Thought so - I got a spare also when I replaced mine last year .....

I installed the steering stablizer this weekend. I can notice a difference, worth the 30 bucks. however I also found that the inside maybe 1 1/2" of my tires are bald . I bought the car used with 19" forte wheels 215/35/19's on the front. too skinny for the rims. hopefully it just needs to be aligned.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:50 PM

It's been some time since I replaced mine, but now that this subject has come up, I'm going to do both cars again before the summer heavy driving starts. I bought one item at AutoZone and two from Amazon. AZ was $35 and change incl State tax, Amazon was somewhat less with free shipping and NO state tax. All stabilizars are manufactuired in the same plant in Germany under the same specs so although Stabilius may seem to be the preferred "name" they are all the same, designed to go out after about 30,000 miles . By all means use the torque specs if you have a T wrench, AND BUY a tube of locktite BLUE and do the threads when reassembling. If using Amazon, be sure to sign up and get the free shipping for purchases over $25.

John P
FTroopChief

Old 02-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 07bluezx14
I installed the steering stablizer this weekend. I can notice a difference, worth the 30 bucks. however I also found that the inside maybe 1 1/2" of my tires are bald . I bought the car used with 19" forte wheels 215/35/19's on the front. too skinny for the rims. hopefully it just needs to be aligned.
Hate to say it, but there is no camber adjustment in the front of the car without swapping out bolts, so an alignment will not do it...

Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FTroopChief
It's been some time since I replaced mine, but now that this subject has come up, I'm going to do both cars again before the summer heavy driving starts. I bought one item at AutoZone and two from Amazon. AZ was $35 and change incl State tax, Amazon was somewhat less with free shipping and NO state tax. All stabilizars are manufactuired in the same plant in Germany under the same specs so although Stabilius may seem to be the preferred "name" they are all the same, designed to go out after about 30,000 miles . By all means use the torque specs if you have a T wrench, AND BUY a tube of locktite BLUE and do the threads when reassembling. If using Amazon, be sure to sign up and get the free shipping for purchases over $25.

John P
FTroopChief
Can you post a link for it on amazon? I have not been able to find it at all.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
Can you post a link for it on amazon? I have not been able to find it at all.
I got mine from JoeTLC :
Steering Dampner Shock Mercedes Benz SLK230 SLK32 SLK320 Chrysler Crossfire - JoeTLC

Old 02-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Hate to say it, but there is no camber adjustment in the front of the car without swapping out bolts, so an alignment will not do it...
so what do i need to fix the issue? I cant put tires on it every 9000 miles
thanks chris

Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can try the MB alignment bolts, but they are only good for a couple of tenths of a degree... that may or may not be enough for your car. It was just barely enough for mine. The other, and best, option is to get the K-mac bushings and they will have no problem aligning the front end. They are a little spendy at about $380... but cheaper than tires....
Here is a link to the K-mac set...

http://www.iapdirect.com/kmac-merced...0-202-208.html

Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikeR
You can try the MB alignment bolts, but they are only good for a couple of tenths of a degree... that may or may not be enough for your car. It was just barely enough for mine. The other, and best, option is to get the K-mac bushings and they will have no problem aligning the front end. They are a little spendy at about $380... but cheaper than tires....
Here is a link to the K-mac set...

KMAC Mercedes Front Camber/Caster Kit 83-03 170/202/208 - Import Auto Performance
Holy crap! what size tires are you running? and what kind of wear were you seeing? my wife is going to flip out if this ends up costing 800+. I decide to try nitto Nex Gens I believe they are called. 141 a piece 11 bucks mounting and balancing per side. Had I known this I would have had the dealer that installed the wheels fix it.
thanks, chris

Old 02-22-2012, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Sorry folks, as I said it's been a while since I replaced mine, and checking back on AMAZON, they now say they have none and do NOT have any idea if they will get any more. Luckilee I still have a new one and it will be going in fairly soon.\\Looks like JOETLC is the best choice now. Based on what I have found today, I am going to order 2 new ones today while he still has some in stock. GOOD LUCK!!

John P
FTroopChief

Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 07bluezx14
Holy crap! what size tires are you running? and what kind of wear were you seeing? my wife is going to flip out if this ends up costing 800+. I decide to try nitto Nex Gens I believe they are called. 141 a piece 11 bucks mounting and balancing per side. Had I known this I would have had the dealer that installed the wheels fix it.
thanks, chris
Chris, these cars have a fair amount of camber from the factory, but you may want to double check there has not been an accident or someone curb a wheel because that could do it. I am fighting the same battle at the moment and can not decide if I am going to get the KMac or what.

I only get about 8-10K out of a summer set anyway, but I track the car...

Old 02-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Chris, these cars have a fair amount of camber from the factory, but you may want to double check there has not been an accident or someone curb a wheel because that could do it. I am fighting the same battle at the moment and can not decide if I am going to get the KMac or what.

I only get about 8-10K out of a summer set anyway, but I track the car...
I ordered the tires today, they might be in tomorrow, otherwise i'll have to wait until next weekend to have them put on. They are going to put it on their alignment rack, just to see how far out the wheels are out, and if they can get it back in. well see
thanks, chris

Old 02-26-2012, 10:36 PM

By all means use the torque specs if you have a T wrench, AND BUY a tube of locktite BLUE and do the threads when reassembling. Does anyone know the torque setting for these bolts??

Old 02-27-2012, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by akakaz2
By all means use the torque specs if you have a T wrench, AND BUY a tube of locktite BLUE and do the threads when reassembling. Does anyone know the torque setting for these bolts??
THE 2005 SERVICE MANUAL, PAGE 3006 TORQUES AND SPECIFICATIONS: The Steering Damper Bracket Nut lists 40 Ft # or 348 in # of torque....
the steering Damper to Drag Link Nut and Bolt list 40 ft # or 348 In#... Just another good reason to join CICCI. They have manuals on line.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:31 PM

I just got my new damper in the mail. 2 days since I ordered it to Atlanta!

Question, is there a single spot in the front where I can jack it up with a hydraulic jack then put the jack stand on it, rather than one side at a time? I have a friend that can loan me ramps, but that wouldn't be for a few days.

--Peace

Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 AM

Just did mine on the weekend. I'm in the UK and can confirm that you can order from Unipart - they won't find it under a Chrysler listing but have no problems getting it using the MB part number. About £32.

Very easy change. One surprising thing is that once off the car, the old one showed no signs of degradation (26k miles), there was no slop or play in the damper at all, but the new one made a significant difference.

bdpeace - Ramps may be no good, the bumper (fender ) will foul as it's so low. I used a small trolley jack and a block of wood under the jacking point and then axle stands on the front anti-roll-bar mounts. Took about 30 mins in all.

Last edited by abssorb; 03-19-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Default Re:Steering Stabilizer for great price.

Home Page > Search > ES2524330 - ECS Tuning Inc

Hi All, I just ordered the 1244630432 form this place for $14.91 each and shipping is only $11.13 from UPS. I ordered two.

One glitch I found the shipping would not populate untill I added another item so I added a 22 cent washer to the order and it went through. I'll update if there are any problems with the order but looks legit.

Cheers,

Steve

Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ECS is where I bought my AMG Steering wheel paddles. They were great..... but get lubed up and ready for when UPS comes to the door looking for their customs duty.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
ECS is where I bought my AMG Steering wheel paddles. They were great..... but get lubed up and ready for when UPS comes to the door looking for their customs duty.
Thanks,

Ya I Learned my lesson long ago with UPS brokerage and duty rape so now I cover my *** by using a US mailbox, for a few bucks I get all of my stuff delivered to it and take a run down to Niagara Falls NY once in a while.

Let me know if you want me to add a steering stabilizer to my order for you?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,
Thanks for the offer. I bought a spare last year but I haven't put it on yet. Sould probably try it to see if it makes a difference but mine seems fine now.

Thanks again.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:12 PM

No Problem,

Mine seems to follow any track in the road so sounds like a new one is in order for me. Doubt it's ever been changed and has 47000 miles now.

I love this forum and members - everyting you need to know is just a search away!

Quick Reply: Replace your Steering Stabilizer, you'll be surprised.