Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

C32 Brake upgrade

Old 03-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: C32 Brake upgrade

Originally Posted by Tazz
Does anyone know for sure if these calipers will clear the storck NA Xfire wheels? It's not just a matter of diameter -- the usual clearance problem is from the inner face of the spokes to the caliper -- I don't like running spacers on the track !!!!
How much space do you have between the spokes of the stock wheel and you caliper now? I don't have stock wheels to measure from. Does the space increase as you move out from the center of the wheel? How much space do you have at about 6.5 inches from the center of the wheel? These same calipers are on just about all new C class mercedes. The only differnce is the length of the mounting lugs to fit various size rotors.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say just order those Chinese plastic caliper covers, that will turn the stock units into 4 piston AMG brakes in 10 minutes. god I love the cheap manufactuering skills of the asian countries, lol

you know the down side of the AMG calipers will be reduced stopping distance.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by BlueStorm
you know the down side of the AMG calipers will be reduced stopping distance.
That is funny

Old 03-16-2009, 09:34 PM

Well I have been checking Ebay everyday and found a deal I couldn't pass up. A complete set of calipers and rotors for $99.00 plus $49 shipping. The parts are used, so I will detail them up paint them and do what ever I have to do to make them look show quality. I will document the install for those who are interested. The set up I just bought came off a CL500, but uses the same rotors and calipers as the C32. Here is the link to what I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200318039437

Old 03-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice deal. I want to find some that say MB or AMG on the side.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What size are the rotors? I like the newer style but that is a heck of a deal... I have pretty new slotted rotors and it would be nice if we could just get the 4 pot brakes to slip on....

MikeR

Old 03-17-2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR
What size are the rotors? I like the newer style but that is a heck of a deal... I have pretty new slotted rotors and it would be nice if we could just get the 4 pot brakes to slip on....

MikeR
I may have jumped on the price too quickly. C32 rotor are 345mm and the ones I just bought are 330mm (same as SRT/SLK32) which is still a nice improvement over the na Crossfire brakes which are 300mm. I plan to bead blast the calipers and paint silver and add the AMG lettering. I may even replace the visible bolts on the outer side with polished stainless allen's. Should look nice.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

well that should make it a direct replacement for the facotry 2 pot caliper on the SRT with the 330mm rotors.... looking forward to seeing how they turn out....

MikeR

Old 03-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will the rears also bolt on? they're ventilated, larger, etc. and may help keep the braking balance better?

Old 03-17-2009, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tazz
Will the rears also bolt on? they're ventilated, larger, etc. and may help keep the braking balance better?
Most likely they will but I haven't started investigating that yet but I will after the fronts are on.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:36 PM

My Ebay calipers just arrived! These came off a 2000 CL500 which uses 330mm (13") rotors. I only paid $99 plus shipping ($145 total) so couldn't resist. The C32 uses the same basic rotors except for they are 345mm rotors (13.5"). These OEM CL500 rotor are in great shape and are factory drilled. They have too much offset, so I will clean them up and put them on the Dallas Craigs list. The Brembo calipers are factory black and in very good shape. They even have good pads and the complete sensor harness on them. I will take before, after and during pictures of the project. I intend to bead blast them to new condition and then paint them MB silver and re-apply the Mercedes Benz or AMG lettering. For rotors I am going to use SRT/SLK32 rotors which are 13"/330mm and the same diameter and thickness as the CL500 rotors that the calipers are designed to fit. This could end up being a very inexpensive big brake kit with a factory OEM look.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 03-20-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:06 PM
ADDICTED TO BOOST

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
My Ebay calipers just arrived! These came off a 2000 CL500 which uses 330mm (13") rotors. I only paid $99 plus shipping ($145 total) so couldn't resist. The C32 uses the same basic rotors except for they are 345mm rotors (13.5"). These OEM CL500 rotor are in great shape and are factory drilled. They have too much offset, so I will clean them up and put them on the Dallas Craigs list. The Brembo calipers are factory black and in very good shape. They even have good pads and the complete sensor harness on them. I will take before, after and during pictures of the project. I intend to bead blast them to new condition and then paint them MB silver and re-apply the Mercedes Benz or AMG lettering. For rotors I am going to use SRT/SLK32 rotors which are 13"/330mm and the same diameter and thickness as the CL500 rotors that the calipers are designed to fit. This could end up being a very inexpensive big brake kit with a factory OEM look.

Nice...cant wait to see them!

Old 03-21-2009, 08:51 AM

I wanted to point out to anyone looking to change calipers, that it is important to match the piston area to the OEM caliper if you want to maintain proper brake balance. The stock n/a caliper has a single 2.25" piston which has an area of 3.96 sq. inches. The OEM 4 piston Brembo calipers I have, have a total area of 3.66 sq inches which is close enough to not make a difference. To find the area of a fixed four pistion caliper you only measure the area of one side of the caliper. The Brembo's have a 1.44" and a 1.62" pistons on each side. Using just one side you come to 3.66 square inches.

Next I am going to tiral fit a caliper to the car and if all looks good will start shopping for rotors and I will bead blast the calipers and paint silver and then either put "AMG" or "Mercedes Benz" on the side. the other option is to leave black or paint red and put the "Brembo" lettering on them. Thougts? I am leaning silver as that goes with all the silver trim on my SSB Coupe.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 03-24-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
That is funny
check the Car and driver specs of the srt6 vs Limited. limited stops in shorter distance. Limited rotors are lighter and have less mass to overcome. those big AMG rotors would take forever to slow down... all your gaining is heat retension with the larger brakes. And I don't see you Auto-crossing the V8 Crossfire in the future.your better suited to building up a TT v6 if that's the goal.

Last edited by BlueStorm; 03-21-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by BlueStorm
check the Car and driver specs of the srt6 vs Limited. limited stops in shorter distance. Limited rotors are lighter and have less mass to overcome. those big AMG rotors would take forever to slow down... all your gaining is heat retension with the larger brakes. And I don't see you Auto-crossing the V8 Crossfire in the future.your better suited to building up a TT v6 if that's the goal.
I thought both of your comments on this thread were stupid, especially the first one about using plastic Brembo covers over the stock calipers. Who said I building my car to Auto Cross? The fact is I just think the stock floating calipers don't look good even though they work fine. My car stops just fine now. I am presently using Ceramic pads which have no dust and are easier on the rotors than semi metalic and intend to put ceramic pads into this set up.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 03-21-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C32 brakes FS …http://www.mbworld.org/forums/suspen...mg-brakes.html

They’re not mine; can’t vouch for the member.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by splinter
C32 brakes FS …http://www.mbworld.org/forums/suspen...mg-brakes.html

They’re not mine; can’t vouch for the member.
These will bolt right on any Crossfire. If I hadn't already bought parts, I would be jumping on these! One of you guys should try to buy them! I just finished trial fitting my calipers and will post pictures in a few minutes.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:31 PM

Project Update:

Today I jacked the car and removed the stock caliper. the CL500 Brembo Caliper bolted right on! They even clear the stock dust shield just fine although I suspect I will have to ditch them when I get new rotors since the new rotors are thicker. I then popped in the pads and verified that these rotors are in fact designed to work with 330mm rotors (SRT-6/SLK32). Next I mounted my wheel up and verified that the wheel clears the calipers. they do clear but it is much closer than stock. See pictures. Now I need to find some SRT rotors. the OEM rotors are very resonable but I am also looking at drilled and/or slotted.

P.S. Someone really should by the C32 brakes that Splinter provided a link to.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Crossfire Brakes stock.jpg (304.5 KB, 338 views)
Crossfire Brakes Brembo.jpg (304.0 KB, 356 views)
Brembo Caliper clears wheel 2.jpg (314.1 KB, 280 views)
Old 03-23-2009, 06:13 PM

The calipers are now ready to install. I bead blasted them to bare metal and then painted them with silver Caliper paint then applied the lettering. How do they look? I am now waiting on rotors and and some new Posi-quiet ceramic pads.

Attached Images
Brembo re-finished.jpg (305.9 KB, 692 views)
Old 03-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

How do they look? Like new!

Les

Quick Reply: C32 Brake upgrade