Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Cutting SRT springs

Old 05-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cutting SRT springs

Originally Posted by velociabstract
1 coil is around 1 3/4 inches?

Les
is this correct. i may be half retarded but how are you guys judging the length of a coil? i just powdercoated my stock rims, painted my calipers, removed emblems and i need to lower the stock height of my limited.
thanks guys! this forum rocks!!

Old 05-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey man have you had a chance to take it back to the track with the cut springs?

I hope to head back to beaverun on 05/28/10. we have some rainy weather scheduled though for the next 10 days so who knows what it will be like by then

Old 05-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Sunday is the big day. It's solo 1. The track layout is different every event but the cars are the same and I know who was slower, equal and faster in the past events. I'm more excited than usual for this one.

Les

Old 05-21-2010, 06:14 PM

be careful, hopefully those cut springs will work out well for you.

what size tires are you running btw?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:28 PM

I'm always careful and I'm getting good at adapting my driving style if necessary. Tires are 225/40/18 and 265/35/19, Pilot Sport Cups. I was running 235's on the front but I had some rubbing so I decided to go back to 225's.

Les

Old 05-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jenloe
.....how are you guys judging the length of a coil?...

For one full coil just cut the sping at the coil directly below the end of the spring, top or bottom since we dont have progressive springs. Dont forget to paint the cut end good and let it dry....

Old 05-22-2010, 01:43 PM

I measured twice (seamstress tape measure) and carefully marked where I wanted to cut with white tape.

Les

Old 05-22-2010, 02:49 PM

I'm always careful and I'm getting good at adapting my driving style if necessary. Tires are 225/40/18 and 265/35/19, Pilot Sport Cups. I was running 235's on the front but I had some rubbing so I decided to go back to 225's.

Les
rubbing with the 235's with the car lowered?

Old 05-22-2010, 04:08 PM

Yes, some rubbing with 235/40/18 and 10 mm spacers on the front. Some of the screws on the fender lip are nice and shiny as well as a spot or two in the wheel well. In the rear I was rubbing on the inside of the wheel well but it was from excessive negative camber. No real damage was done in the 1900 miles the tires lasted.

Les

Old 05-23-2010, 06:11 PM

I just returned from the race track and the news is good. FIRST PLACE IN MY CLASS!
Cutting the springs, at least the way I did it, won't hurt the handling. It helps, perhaps from just lowering the center of gravity but it helps. The nose of the car is still diving too much under braking. I think a stiffer spring in the front is needed. Body roll is not a problem. The Stoptech's with the Carbotech pads are amazing. Now I have more braking power than grip. The car is a little loose but controllable. I ordered a probe tire pyrometer and when it arrives I'll get the alignment and pressures nailed down. I'm still not a challenge to the 4wd beasts but all the rest are within reach now.

Les

Old 05-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

give me a day or 2 i may be able to help a bit with the body roll. im working on sumthin!

Old 05-23-2010, 07:19 PM

I just returned from the race track and the news is good. FIRST PLACE IN MY CLASS!
Cutting the springs, at least the way I did it, won't hurt the handling. It helps, perhaps from just lowering the center of gravity but it helps. The nose of the car is still diving too much under braking. I think a stiffer spring in the front is needed. Body roll is not a problem. The Stoptech's with the Carbotech pads are amazing. Now I have more braking power than grip. The car is a little loose but controllable. I ordered a probe tire pyrometer and when it arrives I'll get the alignment and pressures nailed down. I'm still not a challenge to the 4wd beasts but all the rest are within reach now.

Les
I have used these in the past, they will stiffen up your front end big time and stop the nose dive.
I would get the medium, the hard is just too stiff.

coil spring rubbers:

ARTICLE WITH PHOTOS: http://www.stockcarracing.com/techar...ers/index.html

Last edited by mrphotoman; 05-23-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:23 PM

Photo of one of my old ones i just snapped for you:

DSC_0381.jpg

Last edited by mrphotoman; 05-23-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:52 PM

I just returned from another track day at the "handling track". I shaved a full 2 seconds off my previous best time. Cutting the stock springs will work, however the back is a bit bouncy. Probably from the springs getting hot during the cutting process. The nose is still diving about 3" under fierce braking. However I've saw improved times at all the my regular tracks with the cut springs.

Today the track was not prepared at all. It had standing water during my first heat, which we dried by running through it, and it had lots of dirt. All my formerly faster buddies were complaining about the lack of grip but there I was, not only putting up personal bests, but beating most of them. A lot of credit goes to my instructor at the PCA driving school I attended last Sunday. I think I grasped the going faster by going slower concept 100%. The biggest surprise was how effective trail braking is when you get it right. I always thought of trail braking as risky and for experienced drivers only but my instructor wanted me to do it and showed my how it should be done. It makes a huge difference is entry speed and rotating in the center of the corner.

In the future ..... I'm not sure what to try. I'm convinced that an uncut spring is better than a cut one. So H&R springs might be the inexpensive way to go. K&W coilovers are most likely the best choice if funds are available.

Mrphotoman, I may try the spring rubbers. But a good selection will cost the same as a new set of springs so I have to consider where I want to go with the car.

For those of you thinking about cutting your stock springs, I don't think you'll be disappointed unless you over heat them in the process. My front ones feel great but the rear are a little bouncy. It does firm up the ride a bit too. Firm and bouncy .... sounds good.

Les