Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Question about shock installation

Old 06-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Konis are here

The front and rear set of Konis arrived today, and I'll work on getting them on tonight after my wife gets home from work (and brings the xfire home).

2 quick questions: As these are adjustable, do they come preadjusted so that they are all the same stiffness, or will I have to do that once they are on? Second, there is no "band" or restraint to cut as there is in the KYBs. How will this affect installation, as I will not be able to bolt on the bottom and let the top slide into place?

Old 06-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Question about shock installation

The Koni's do not have restraints on them.... I was able to compress them and install without any trouble..... they also come with an adjusting **** and you just stick it on and adjust to the setting you want....

take note that you will be covering up the rear ones when you put the trunk lining back in....you might want to cut a little hole just above the shock so you can adjust later without pulling the trunk apart.....

Old 06-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

message deleted.. I'm tired

Last edited by downwardspiral; 06-14-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:58 PM

Due to weather and work, I am finally installing those Konis--actually in the middle of it now. Working on the driver's side front, and came in when I found out I'm going to have to drill that damn dust sleeve.

Alot of the threads I've read discuss trimming the stops in the rear (and not necessarily the front). However, everyone is vague on their suspension setup, or they have new springs or something. All the other suspension components are OEM, and I am only replacing shocks. Before I get to the rear, will I need to trim the bump stops?

Old 06-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kain
Due to weather and work, I am finally installing those Konis--actually in the middle of it now. Working on the driver's side front, and came in when I found out I'm going to have to drill that damn dust sleeve.

Alot of the threads I've read discuss trimming the stops in the rear (and not necessarily the front). However, everyone is vague on their suspension setup, or they have new springs or something. All the other suspension components are OEM, and I am only replacing shocks. Before I get to the rear, will I need to trim the bump stops?
if the springs are stock no bump stop trimming needed

Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 AM

Awesome, thanks. Just finished fronts. Time to work on the *** end.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a tip for you.... if you have one of those tubing/PVC cutters (with the big blade and ratchets closed), you can use it to cut the bump stops really easy and clean.....

Old 06-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New KYB gas-adjusts arrived and I want to put them in. I've read a good post about the sequence of the hardware and install, however I found ( and didn't bookmark) a post about getting the Mercedes SLK 320? hardware since KYB rubber stops are larger? I don't want to re-use hardware. Any thoughts are appreciated, and/or pointed in the direction of the hardware part #'s. Thanks!

2004 SSB 6spd Coupe, Aannnd can't wait to hit the coast on the way to Reno Air Races in September

Old 06-15-2017, 08:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update on the install. I didn't find the post about the hardware. I did find some posts and another website about using the existing TOP rubber bushing, since it's the perfect fit in the "well" of that mount, with no apparent problems. That is what I did. KYB 4731 front, 4732 rear. So far no problems, clunks or weird noises. Car has 105000 kilometers and while I find the ride a bit more choppy, the cornering is more snug, and the bumps and dips are handled nicely. Overall recommend these as replacements.

2004 SSB 6spd Coupe for the fun run!
2006 Brilliance Red Jaguar XJR for the "look ma no hands" cruise