Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Strength of Rims

Old 10-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strength of Rims

Does anyone know if there is a problem with the strength of the stock rims? I've had my XF since 2005 and I've replaced the rims several times because they get warped.

I was thinking about looking for new rims, but don't know if this is a known problem, or if there are other rims out there that are stronger. Any information is appreciated.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Strength of Rims

Cant speak to the the NA rims, but the SRT rims are pretty stout from my perspective.... I took the Aero on a cruise to WY in July and was cruising at 82mph most of the time (75 limit) and hit some very abrupt bridge junctions and sunken spots that jarred me and the car... I found one spot on a front tire where it pinched a little rubber off that little rib next to the rim and put a small dent in the edge of the rim.... other than that they are fine....no wobbles, warps or leaks......(whew!)

Old 10-27-2010, 10:17 AM

I've driven over countless potholes and expansion joints on the stock wheels and have yet to notice any problems. They seem pretty strong to me.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by StevieRay
Does anyone know if there is a problem with the strength of the stock rims? I've had my XF since 2005 and I've replaced the rims several times because they get warped.

I was thinking about looking for new rims, but don't know if this is a known problem, or if there are other rims out there that are stronger. Any information is appreciated.
How many rims have you replaced?? and how much has it cost you?

Old 11-13-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by RL-2005
How many rims have you replaced?? and how much has it cost you?
I replaced two rims so far and I'm starting to wobble again at 80 mph. There's a lot of old windy and hilly country roads where I live and I like to take the "back way" to work. I haven't checked yet, but I suspect the rim again. I wonder if people are trying to "fix" a bent rim and selling it as new?

Anyway, I was thinking I could just get new rims that are stronger, but it doesn't seem like strength of rims is something people pay much attention to.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will bump this question back up. I recently hit a pothole and have been thinking that the rim must be Bent as well.I love My chromed stock Wheels but If These rims are indeed soft then Perhaps I should be looking at different rims.
Originally Posted by StevieRay
I replaced two rims so far and I'm starting to wobble again at 80 mph. There's a lot of old windy and hilly country roads where I live and I like to take the "back way" to work. I haven't checked yet, but I suspect the rim again. I wonder if people are trying to "fix" a bent rim and selling it as new?

Anyway, I was thinking I could just get new rims that are stronger, but it doesn't seem like strength of rims is something people pay much attention to.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A word of advice, if anyone is considering buying new wheels, don't get cheap. If I'm not mistaken, there are currently no regulations regarding the strength of wheels. So if you pay $100 a wheel, don't expect them to last very long. Oh, and beware of knock-offs. My step-dad works for BBS and they are constantly disputing with a Chinese company making wheels with a "BB5" logo. And it is not just BBS. OZ, HRE..... all are being copied with cheap materials and abhorrent workmanship.