Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Crossfire brake pedal is not firm and slips down toward floor

Old 08-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crossfire brake pedal is not firm and slips down toward floor

Hello I have a 2005 Crossfire with 37K mile on it, it is still under extended warranty, I have a problem with brakes, when the car is running, if I press the brake pedal and hold, it starts going down slowly toward the floor. It moves about 1 inch or so.

The cars sits in my garage most of the time, so couple of months ago I noticed that the brake pedal was going way too low, and if I pumped it when the car was off, it gets stiff, so I bled the brake lines and put fresh brake fluid in there. Brakes and the pedal were OK until I drove a 50 miles or so and the problem came back. "While the car is running and in D or N, the brake pedal when pushed slowly moves toward the floor"

The pads are 3000 miles old, but changed 4 years ago. Calipers do not have any sign of leak

Could the problem be in vacuum lines? Master Cylinder? Or Power Booster?

Before I take it to the dealer I want to get an idea, since last time I took it there for valve cover gasket change, they kept the car for 4 days and gave it back to me with 200 miles extra on it ;-(. Either they send it somewhere else for repair or took it for joy ride.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire brake pedal is not firm and slips down toward floor

Originally Posted by Atlanta_kid
Hello I have a 2005 Crossfire with 37K mile on it, it is still under extended warranty, I have a problem with brakes, when the car is running, if I press the brake pedal and hold, it starts going down slowly toward the floor. It moves about 1 inch or so.

The cars sits in my garage most of the time, so couple of months ago I noticed that the brake pedal was going way too low, and if I pumped it when the car was off, it gets stiff, so I bled the brake lines and put fresh brake fluid in there. Brakes and the pedal were OK until I drove a 50 miles or so and the problem came back. "While the car is running and in D or N, the brake pedal when pushed slowly moves toward the floor"

The pads are 3000 miles old, but changed 4 years ago. Calipers do not have any sign of leak

Could the problem be in vacuum lines? Master Cylinder? Or Power Booster?

Before I take it to the dealer I want to get an idea, since last time I took it there for valve cover gasket change, they kept the car for 4 days and gave it back to me with 200 miles extra on it ;-(. Either they send it somewhere else for repair or took it for joy ride.
If you have a warranty you should get it fixed, the master cylinder seal has likely gone. Check the fluid level, no loss probably means its the master cylinder seal leaking.
Remember its not only your neck on the line here.

If someone at the stealer took it for a joy ride you should have complained at the time, too late now. You could have wangled something out of them for free if you said they did some damage.
It's your word against theirs but there is 200 miles on the clock and they cannot deny that, use your head if it happens again.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:14 AM

OK, thank you. I will take it there today. There is no loss on fluid level either.

As for the dealer issue, since the valve cover leak was very slow & since I keep my engine clean, the only way to see it was to let it run for a while, the leak would only show up if you drove it for 50 miles or so, and I had told them that, so it was kind of hard to *****. And you were correct to assume, they stock a large cup of soda in the cup holder and broke the lip on it. So live and learn, it wont happen again!

Thanks for your feed back.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, thank you. I will take it there today. There is no loss on fluid level either.

As for the dealer issue, since the valve cover leak was very slow & since I keep my engine clean, the only way to see it was to let it run for a while, the leak would only show up if you drove it for 50 miles or so, and I had told them that, so it was kind of hard to *****. And you were correct to assume, they stock a large cup of soda in the cup holder and broke the lip on it. So live and learn, it wont happen again!

Thanks for your feed back.
I'm having a similar problem, what did the dealer say? Mine will go all the way to the floor and it just doesn't stop as well. This is all after getting my brakes done at the dealership. They tell me they're fine?

Thanks

Old 09-06-2011, 01:29 AM

I was looking at a roadster to purchase today and brake pedal was definitely soft. Does anyone have any idea (ball park would suffice) of how much replacing the gasket on the master cylinder would cost to repair? I'd like to figure it into the purchase price.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:35 AM

This issue was due to a bad Master Cylinder, I think, parts were $385, not sure about the labor, since it was replaced under warranty and I only paid $100 deductible.

I also have the basic diagnostic steps for brake test, if anyone interested, I will post it here.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by kc850
I'm having a similar problem, what did the dealer say? Mine will go all the way to the floor and it just doesn't stop as well. This is all after getting my brakes done at the dealership. They tell me they're fine?

Thanks
Any update on your problem?

Old 11-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just courious if your loosing any fluid out of the reservor , I have seen Master cylinders leak at the back seal before and fluid get in the booster .. Good luck hope they get you going .. Should have looked at the date on this one O-well Nevermind .

Last edited by hcarter; 11-28-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:26 PM

Don't see any fluid around master cylinder. Same issue as someone else had. Changed front pads, and have very soft pedal. Have bled the fronts twice. Will change out the rears and rebleed all four wheels starting at the rt rear. Watching for leaks at calipers. See some had problem with seals after compressing the caliper piston. Did not open bleeder when compressing caliper.

From what I read hear: could have air in system, compromised seal on caliper, pushed garbage into the ABS, bad master cylinder.

Last edited by wetex04; 11-28-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Forum Regular

If the brake pedal gos down slowly under constant pressure, its master cylinder seals. If the pedal goes down farther than it should suspect are in the system and bleed the brakes.

Last edited by arejohn; 11-28-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by arejohn
If the brake pedal gos down slowly under constant pressure, its master cylinder seals. If the pedal goes down farther than it should suspect are in the system and bleed the brakes.
Suspect I have air somewhere in the system. After pumping the pedal, I get firm pressure and it holds. After I finish the rear brakes, I will bleed at all four wheels. I've bled the fronts twice with no improvement. Probability of getting air in the rear lines when only changing the fronts is small. Anythings possible though.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:42 PM

Maybe your fluid is not good. Flush all out and besure your using correct fluid.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Forum Regular

Sounds like the master cylinder is leaking

Old 12-04-2011, 05:55 PM

Every Crossfire I have driven, and I test drove a bunch, had a soft pedal with a slight down drift if I held
constant FIRM pressure on the pedal. My previous car was a Porsche which are known for their excellent brakes and it had a very firm pedal.
I questioned the brakes and was always told they were OK and normal so I just wrote it off as just not being as firm as my Porsche. Bear in mind, the pedal drift I am talking about is slight, slow and only when you put very firm pressure on the pedal when stopped. If it drifts down when you are applying just enough pressure to keep the car from moving then I would say you have a internal master cyl leak.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by wetex04
Any update on your problem?
UPDATE.

The issue with my Brakes were with Master Cylinder (there were no fluid leaks), the follow up issue was that the tech at Mall of Georgia Chrysler dealer at North of Atlanta, had forgotten to install the bushing (gasket / seal) between the master cilynder and power booster causing the brakes to malfunction and result in a vacuum leak between Master Cylinder / Booster which subsequently caused engine light to come-on. I have logged a compliant with Chrysler Customer Service and have written the dealer as well.

To fix the leak issue, I took the car to EdVoyles Chrysler and they found the Master Cylinder gasket to be missing and once they replaced all is working fine, my brakes are firm and tight.

My research on this topic showed that, it is real important that you use the Original equipment parts and specially brake fluid from Chrysler. This car being German build and most / all part being German the brakes should be firm and should not fade or slip.

PS, on a side note, while my car was at EdVolyes, it had a rear windows detachment, which was also fixed by replacing the whole convertible top at no charge, it looks like Chrysler warranties the top for 100K miles (real good thing done by Chrysler).

Old 01-03-2012, 01:12 PM

UPDATE.

The issue with my Brakes were with Master Cylinder (there were no fluid leaks), the follow up issue was that the tech at Mall of Georgia Chrysler dealer at North of Atlanta, had forgotten to install the bushing (gasket / seal) between the master cilynder and power booster causing the brakes to malfunction and result in a vacuum leak between Master Cylinder / Booster which subsequently caused engine light to come-on. I have logged a compliant with Chrysler Customer Service and have written the dealer as well.

To fix the leak issue, I took the car to EdVoyles Chrysler and they found the Master Cylinder gasket to be missing and once they replaced all is working fine, my brakes are firm and tight.

My research on this topic showed that, it is real important that you use the Original equipment parts and specially brake fluid from Chrysler. This car being German build and most / all part being German the brakes should be firm and should not fade or slip.

PS, on a side note, while my car was at EdVolyes, it had a rear windows detachment, which was also fixed by replacing the whole convertible top at no charge, it looks like Chrysler warranties the top for 100K miles (real good thing done by Chrysler).
I have a problem with a low brake pedal, no leaks and the pedal is just low.
What part are you saying was missing?

Old 01-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Dave, lose the ceramic pads, go back to OEM and all will be well.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Dave, lose the ceramic pads, go back to OEM and all will be well.
OK, but why?
Inquiring minds need to know.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Ye of little faith.......accept and move on

Old 01-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I have a problem with a low brake pedal, no leaks and the pedal is just low.
What part are you saying was missing?
#5, the dealer work-order says gasket and the hose test that I was told to do (see earlier posts) was was pointing at the leak right at #5 area.

Quick Reply: Crossfire brake pedal is not firm and slips down toward floor