Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Aftermarket Wheels Spacer problems

Old 08-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Aftermarket Wheels Spacer problems

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You have had your problems and I am glad you are about to solve them. Too bad someone fixed a tire and never bothered to re-balance it.

I do not have too much faith in tire shops, some of the employees are not skilled and are at the bottom of the food chain and do not know or care too much.

Earlier this year one shop left one wheel loose out of four new tires and it made a noise after a day, the next stop at the shop for another set of tires two bolts were too tight and two too loose. This was after I pointed out the first error to the owner. The owner said it was probably rust or something that caused the loose wheel, I told him that an apology would have been better than excuses. I think I will not go back there again.
How hard is it to say sorry?

You saw what happens when wheels are installed wrong, probably stripped threads from over tightening or negligence from not spotting a problem.
This Tires & Wheels Connection sells tons of wheels and of course tires..it was impressive to see it all and they had that awesome Hunter balancer that was mentioned on this forum by someone. He took me back to show it to me and explain how it works. Since none of the tires were balanced or weighted I want to go by Firestone and get reimbursed for the lifetime alignment I purchased from them since I have no faith they will do a good job with that either. I haven't used it yet so I would think I could get it refunded based on what this place told me today. I'm thinking they aren't equipped to do either on a crossfire and am wondering where this forum might recommend taking it that does both. I bought the same lifetime alignment on a Lexus that I'm having my daughter drive and am wondering if I should just take both elsewhere. Her steering goes straight and then starts ebbing to the right. The last place I talked to was Discount Tire and who I purchased two back tires from and he said that it's because the two front tires which I did not replace and are not really old *tread looks like a new tire all the way around on both*..is causing this to happen because there is a defect in the front tire such as a slipped belt or something like that. He said it wouldn't cause a problem with the car or the wear on the tires, so I'm leaving it alone.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you didn't get taken out by a rouge tire

Old 08-01-2012, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by rayth
Glad you didn't get taken out by a rouge tire
Thanks me too...scared the crap out of me to tell you the truth! Couuldn't believe what I was seeing. I think you all jinxed me with all the talk of bolts sheering and tires coming off...:-)

Old 08-03-2012, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Convertible girl
Thanks me too...scared the crap out of me to tell you the truth! Couuldn't believe what I was seeing. I think you all jinxed me with all the talk of bolts sheering and tires coming off...:-)
Just don't tell that person on the highway it was our fault

Old 08-03-2012, 07:57 AM

Just don't tell that person on the highway it was our fault
I'm just playing with you guys! Question...since no one would touch this car to do any work on it, how do all of you with spacers get anyone to service your cars?

Old 08-03-2012, 09:09 AM

I'm just playing with you guys! Question...since no one would touch this car to do any work on it, how do all of you with spacers get anyone to service your cars?
I'm guessing most guys rather do those sort of things themselves.. the gearhead way... But there are for sure shops that aren't afraid of being a little creative, they just tend to be the specialty or tuner shops.. I think part of your issue is that no one wants to pick up your project in the middle of it all

Old 08-03-2012, 09:54 AM

I'm guessing most guys rather do those sort of things themselves.. the gearhead way... But there are for sure shops that aren't afraid of being a little creative, they just tend to be the specialty or tuner shops.. I think part of your issue is that no one wants to pick up your project in the middle of it all
Sounds like Its a matter of coming across the right place..which I didn't do. Maybe i should have been hunting down a specialty place to begin with. Also sounds like I could put these new wheels coming in on, and THEN I could go to a place like you mention and ask if they could install the aftermarket wheels for me. Not that I'm going to at this point since I'm going to paying for these new ones once they come in. Hopefully they look nice on the car but sure would have liked to stick with the ones on there now.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:47 AM

Shouldn't be too hard to get those Motegi painted or powder coated to red.. that part in the middle of the spoke looks prime for color

Old 08-03-2012, 11:06 AM

Shouldn't be too hard to get those Motegi painted or powder coated to red.. that part in the middle of the spoke looks prime for color
Well there's an idea...I'll check into that..thanks

Old 08-03-2012, 12:01 PM

Maybe you can get your cake and eat it too after all

Old 08-03-2012, 01:44 PM

Maybe you can get your cake and eat it too after all
Well I must say that I love it when that happens!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:58 PM

WOW - I am so glad you got your wheel & tire situation straightened out. I have been looking at new wheels myself for the last week or so. The wheel coming off the car in front of you, that's scary as crap. Post pics of your new wheels when you get the on!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by xFireFlyx
WOW - I am so glad you got your wheel & tire situation straightened out. I have been looking at new wheels myself for the last week or so. The wheel coming off the car in front of you, that's scary as crap. Post pics of your new wheels when you get the on!
Well actually it was the entire tire that came off. Funny that until I bought this car, the wheel was the tire and the "wheel" that people talk about here was the rim to me still trying to get used to the terminology. The guy that ordered the new wheels said it could take three weeks but hopefully sooner. They aren't anything special I don't think. Kinda said okay to the ones he could get me since I just want to be safe but they seem fine. This whole incident with the tire coming off makes me nervous about the people that deal with messing with your tires. I already worry about people driving on tires with the steel or whatever it's called showing through..now I have to worry that someone had their tires messed with by someone who doesn't know it care enough about doing a good job. My car has been parked in the garage since this happened and until they call to tell me the new wheels are in, but will say that my 10 mile trip will be filled with anxiety since the left back tire only has a plug in it from a nail that was removed, the steering wheel shaking at about 55 moh now and the feeling for what I've been told that the car is resting on a bolt instead of the hub..yikes!! Good luck with your search

Old 08-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

They put too long a bolt in and it was hitting the brake...You have to have the proper length bolts when using spacers... It all has to come together... there are different seats to the rims as well. Our stock rims are ball seat rims... so you have to have ball seat bolts... You really need to find someone knowledgable about rims who isn't going to rip you off by trying to sell you something you don't need. But, it does sound like someone tried to fit the wrong rims onto the car...

Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Well actually it was the entire tire that came off. Funny that until I bought this car, the wheel was the tire and the "wheel" that people talk about here was the rim to me still trying to get used to the terminology. The guy that ordered the new wheels said it could take three weeks but hopefully sooner. They aren't anything special I don't think. Kinda said okay to the ones he could get me since I just want to be safe but they seem fine. This whole incident with the tire coming off makes me nervous about the people that deal with messing with your tires. I already worry about people driving on tires with the steel or whatever it's called showing through..now I have to worry that someone had their tires messed with by someone who doesn't know it care enough about doing a good job. My car has been parked in the garage since this happened and until they call to tell me the new wheels are in, but will say that my 10 mile trip will be filled with anxiety since the left back tire only has a plug in it from a nail that was removed, the steering wheel shaking at about 55 moh now and the feeling for what I've been told that the car is resting on a bolt instead of the hub..yikes!! Good luck with your search
Just made me think of my Memphis bike ride last year.. buddy and I were cruising the streets and came up on a chevy impala that had shot sideways into the oncoming lanes (it was late night and not much traffic) but we cruised on past and down the road was a nice shiney 22" or so rim sitting on the curb.. Opps..

Old 08-06-2012, 10:42 PM

My car has been parked in the garage since this happened and until they call to tell me the new wheels are in, but will say that my 10 mile trip will be filled with anxiety since the left back tire only has a plug in it from a nail that was removed, the steering wheel shaking at about 55 moh now and the feeling for what I've been told that the car is resting on a bolt instead of the hub..yikes!! Good luck with your search
Thanks, Convertible girl. I hope you get your wheels soon and are back on the road - worry free this time!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't let the plug worry you any extra.. use them myself as needed and never any problems..

Old 08-07-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
They put too long a bolt in and it was hitting the brake...You have to have the proper length bolts when using spacers... It all has to come together... there are different seats to the rims as well. Our stock rims are ball seat rims... so you have to have ball seat bolts... You really need to find someone knowledgable about rims who isn't going to rip you off by trying to sell you something you don't need. But, it does sound like someone tried to fit the wrong rims onto the car...
This is a place that specifically sells tires and rims so I certainly hope they know what they are doing. I know he told the place he was ordering the rims from to be sure that they are hub centric and they are boring then to specifically fit my car/tires. I tried to pay him for the order but he said he wasn't charging me until he was sure that they fit correctly.

Last edited by Convertible girl; 08-07-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
I wouldn't let the plug worry you any extra.. use them myself as needed and never any problems..
Thanks and I am less concerned about that problem with the car. I just need to remember to have the repair it when the new wheels come in.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
What was that liability thing we were discussing last night? I'm sure those wheels could have been set up for use on your car, but all things considered it sounds like you've gone the best route for you! Diehard wrench heads won't take no for an answer when they get their minds made up (some wheel threads in here) .. lol. Glad to hear soon you will get to SAFELY enjoy your car.
You know mrmiata, I just saw this post and you are exactly right on the liability issue! If any of you were close by I'm sure I could have gotten this handled quickly and with less cost since I wouldn't be buying new rims. Still waiting on them to arrive. I miss driving that car!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels Spacer problems