Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Help! bought set wheels, what now Wheels not fit? is this true?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! bought set wheels, what now Wheels not fit? is this true?

I need some help with this one,, This is my first time on this forum.. hope someone can give me good direction. First off I have a 2005 Crossfire conv. wanted to put some nice wheels on it.. there isnt much out there to pick from in a staggerd 19" and 18" .. so I saw a set of NZO Pino on Ebay they said was for Crossfire.. I bought them. after seeing them on several cars I found on the web, a couple crossfires and Infiniti's... they looked nice.. here are the sizes

fronts 18 X 8.5 ET=38
backs 19 X 10 ET=40

the guy told me they should fit on thier nicely and I shouldnt need any spacers... well today when I took them to a tire shop they said.. fronts wont fit hitting the shock I need a spacer and the rear definately wont fit need spacer and it will bring the wheels outside of the wheel well and look retarded... said I cant use them.. so now what

Is this true.. cant use these ? they said I need to stay with spec as close as possible cause not enough room in there.. are there any decent looking mfg that make 18's and 19's same design , I dont know what to do now.. so discusted I feel like throwing them out to the trash and selling the car.

Bruce

Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Help! bought set wheels ,what now Wheels not fit? is this true?

They will fit with spacers and should look fine. You'll likely need around a 10mm spacer in the front and 20-25mm for the rear. Those are approximate sizes to give you and idea. The spacers need to be hub-centric, and you'll need longer lug bolts to with them. They are definitely not bolt on and go sizes.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1976yzx
the guy told me they should fit on thier nicely and I shouldnt need any spacers...
Bruce
That **** lied ...

Grip grip is right, a 5mm spacer in the front and a 20-25mm for the rear will work just fine
A +30 / +35 or a bit less for the 8.5in wide front is what you are looking for

Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the wheel calculator on the site to get an idea of what you are looking at.

Stock
Front Wheel 18", 7.5" Width, +35 mm
Rear Wheel 19", 9" Width, +22 mm

From a quick look it looks like you will need a 10-15mm hubcentric spacer up front to push things back out to stock mounting position . This will make the outside of the rim further out than stock but should be ok.
The thing to look out for is the dreaded bolt at the top, to be certain we would need to know the tire sizes you are trying as well. I assumed stock size for the comparison.

For the rear you would need a 25-30mm hubcentric spacer to put the mounting back out to stock position. This would put you further towards the fender which may be a really tight fit. 10" in the back is pushing it with our cars.

I'm no expert by any means just took a quick look at the calc. Others will chime in I'm sure. There are plenty of rim choices that will have better offset than the ones you have but styles will/could be different, more expensive, lighter, heavier, etc. do some searching on the forum to find out more. TSW and Mandrus are good brands to look at as they have offset pairs that will work without spacers.

:edit: my spacer numbers may be to big.

I'm running 18x8.5 et32 and 19x9.5 et25 gets tricky when trying to compensate for the extra rim width

Last edited by Airscape; 02-04-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help! bought set wheels, what now Wheels not fit? is this true?

The tire sizes they recommended were 235X40 on the front and 275X30 on the rear.. 10mm on the front spacer doesnt sound too bad... but 25mm on the rear is almost a full inch.. my problem is will that look ok..or will it look stupid... . they made it sound like Id look like Bozo the clown if I pushed them out that far.. plus werent sure if would hit that shock nut or rub somewhere.. or should I scrap this idea and sell these and buy a better set closer to specs.. Thanks for the replies

Old 02-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help! bought set wheels, what now Wheels not fit? is this true?

It's hard to say but it should not. The only way to know is to do a test fit. Because of the 40 offset if you were able to mount them you would be over an inch deeper into the well than stock. The spacer should just push it out to the edge of the fender so it is flush.

Here is my 19x9.5 et25 with 285x30

With the right size spacer you should be some place similar. You could mount it up loosely and pull it out to where you want it and then see how big of a spacer you would need to get it there. The face looks flat so I don't think there would be any issues contacting the caliper etc, that would be the only reason you would need to push them out further than the well, in that case new rims would be needed unless you want to start rolling fenders. Chains (Firestone etc.) don't like to mess with spacers, if you have a custom wheel shop around you may want to get another opinion from them.

Check this post for some inspiration, not all hope is lost, very similar to yours but even bigger.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post717605

Last edited by Airscape; 02-05-2013 at 04:24 PM.