Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

my stupid mistake

Old 02-09-2014, 02:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy my stupid mistake

all right, i ended up driving my cf in about 1 to 2 inches of snow. she spun out at a about 15mph and smacked the curb. rear wheels hit first nice and good. then as soon as they it the fronts followed. and the fronts were lightly turned to correct the spin. i was easily able to drive away but the steering wheel sits at 8 O'clock. I was able to limp it to a parking lot and I jumped out. the rear that hit is toe toed in as good as she hit. and i noticed when limping her back home as i turned the wheel to compensate i heard a noise that sounds like striped gears.from the front. WTF did i do?!!!!
please give mechanical suggestions & advice and possible cost on what may be damaged. :(:confused::(:confused::mad:

Old 02-09-2014, 02:27 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: my stupid mistake

First word of advice is DON'T DRIVE THE CAR until you have it looked at by a mechanic.
Second thing is only post one thread to keep all your feedback in one place

My best to you for a good recovery

Old 02-09-2014, 07:58 AM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The fact that your steering wheel is cocked means at a very minimum you're out of alignment. Take the car directly to an alignment shop, and let them evaluate your suspension. You could have damaged one of the front knuckles.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:09 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

The rear toe in/out being off means at the least some bent suspension parts, also possibly you have bent some wheels.
Sorry, don't have any good news, other than you were not hurt ......

Last edited by ala_xfire; 02-09-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:38 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CrossFire BoB
all right, i ended up driving my cf in about 1 to 2 inches of snow. she spun out at a about 15mph and smacked the curb. rear wheels hit first nice and good. then as soon as they it the fronts followed. and the fronts were lightly turned to correct the spin. i was easily able to drive away but the steering wheel sits at 8 O'clock. I was able to limp it to a parking lot and I jumped out. the rear that hit is toe toed in as good as she hit. and i noticed when limping her back home as i turned the wheel to compensate i heard a noise that sounds like striped gears.from the front. WTF did i do?!!!!
please give mechanical suggestions & advice and possible cost on what may be damaged.
No good news, you may have destroyed the wheel bearings also, you need to have them checked also. Good luck, I hope it doesn't take too much to get it fixed, it's easier to get the car fixed than it is to get you fixed.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

My wheel bearings were fine hitting a curb at 50 ish...

OP pull all 4 wheels off and check that side vs the good side. Guarentee your front outter tie rod on the drag link is bent, and your tie rod on the rear is bent (meant to take the impact, so that everything else doesn't), but you need to check if everything else looks good. While praying, inspect your rear subframe where the control arm mounts (compare to other side if it's bent forward), and front lower control arm.

Good luck.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Wouldn't hurt to put a dial gauge on the front wheel rim and check for run-out.
Mount the rear wheel on the front temporarily and check it too .....
( If you don't have a dial gauge ( like me ), just mount a pencil/marker/chalk to something heavy so you can ease it in while turning the wheel )

Old 02-14-2014, 04:07 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought Valk's first word of advice was gonna be "DON'T DRIVE THE CAR IN THE SNOW! "