Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Project SRT-5

Old 04-30-2014, 05:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project SRT-5

Not sure if you guys want to read about my Crossfire upgrades or not. But here it goes.

My Crossfire, Little Ally, needed the brakes done. I had a hot spot that was pulsing bad.

Brake warping is a myth. Here it is explained by a smarter guy then myself.

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

I did an SRT-6 brake and spring swap on my base model Crossfire. I ordered all for SRT-6 calipers from a junkyard. One of the bleed valves was rusted place, so I had to order another caliper. I got all 4 SRT-6 replacement rotors from Autohausaz. I got Zimmerman rotors. The fronts were directionally vented. I was disappointed that there weren't a left and right specific front rotors. Technically, I think the passenger front rotor is vented backwards. I've read conflicting stories on weather this matters or not. Either way, there is no option otherwize that I can find. I got all four SRT-6 springs from a guy who bought Eibach springs for his car. I attempted to buy SRT-6 sway bars from Chuck and Eddies Salvage yard. But the kept sending me standard sway bars. I'm so mad with them. I ended up going with H&R sway bars front and rear. I got the coated stainless brake lines and camber adjustment kits from Needswings.

I cut the front coils one full coil and the rears a half a coil. This lowered my Crossfire so that from the side of the car, you can see about an inch of space in the front and rear wheel wells. With the camber kits in and the springs cut to lower it. I had the camber kits put in and the alignment shop put the 4 wheel alignment back to the factory specs.

When I started the rear end work. I noticed that my rear suspension crossmember was cracked. So I ordered a rear crossmember and welded reinforcement to it with a 1/4 steel rod.

On April 3rd, I took Little Ally to an open track day event at Willow Springs. This is the first time with my car on the track. And I have been on road coarse only two other times. I had no suspension issues or brake issues what so ever. Hardly any body roll at all. The car seemed to handle pretty neutral at the limits of traction in the corners. I had a thermal temperature gun to check tire temps and they seemed to be heating up evenly across the tires. My best time on the big track at Willow Springs was 1'50.35 with a max speed of 112mph. In the main straight i was redlining 4th and really didn't have enough time or track left to shift into 5th before hitting turn 1. I know I could shave a lot of time of my laps. I was worried about destroying a fairly new set of tires. And I am a fairly green track driver. But MAN! I am so happy the way the car handled. Here is a clip of me passing a Supercharged Miata coming out of the last turn. I hope the youtube video link works!

Old 04-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Project SRT-5

Nice, I've been thinking of upgrading to SRT6 calipers as I do need to change my brakes soon anyway, can I ask how much $$ they go for from the yard?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:55 PM

I bought the SRT-6 calipers for $50 each. I ended up spending $250 for five. As one of them was unusable. I would contact the seller and have them verify that all the nuts bolts and bleed screw are loosened.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:34 PM

I posted some pictures of the swap.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice! That rear subframe's a PITA isnt it? lol

Old 05-02-2014, 06:04 PM

I also put the SRT shocks, springs and brakes on my NA and have great results autocrossing.