Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

New TPMS do not seem to work

Old 05-12-2014, 08:53 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New TPMS do not seem to work

I bought a new set of TPMS as my car was missing them, but they don't seem to work. I still get the TPMS light. Does anyone know if there's any type of reset that has to be done?

Old 05-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: New TPMS do not seem to work

FP, yes there is. But, I think a dealer has to do it?

Old 05-12-2014, 01:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only be done by the dealer. They need a OBD III with a Crossfire adapter from MB.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I found that the Chrysler Dealer can not program aftermarket TPMS and Discount Tires couldn't either. I got OEM TPMS through Discount who took out the aftermarket TPMS they installed and installed the OEM TPMS. Discount charged me the difference between the aftermarket TPMS and wholesale OEM TPMS. The Dealer programed them. I believe they will charge you about $95.00 to do it though I didn't pay that much. Discount couldn't program the OEM TPMS.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:06 PM

I didn't pay anything at the dealer. They just programed them for me. It took about two minutes to do. The normal charge there is $45. I had them change the transmision fluid so they just threw it in.

Last edited by aschrager; 05-12-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 501 Likes on 345 Posts

Only the dealer can program a TPMS to your car unfortunately
I covered up that TPMS light on my dash 5 years ago

Old 05-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am about ready to pull the pin on the connector that feeds the signal to the TPMS light. I have had nothing but trouble with TPMS since I replaced the OEM tires a couple of years ago. They worked for a while after my last tire replacement in the fall of 2013, but the light came back on this spring.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gents there has to be a way around dealers only furnishing and programming new TPMS Wife's 05 roadster with 99,xxx finally gave up the ghost on one
dealer wants $200 to replace or all 4 for $580 neither is realistic considering what they can be purchased for outside of the dealers
Is there anyone Sears, Pep Bros or the like that will furnish, install and program new ones?

Old 07-07-2022, 06:41 AM

My light just came on 2 weeks ago and am reading through all the posts to sort it all out.

I do not have the tools or reader to complete the fix myself.

are there any forum members in the Milwaukee area that have fixed this issue or can recommend a shop familiar with the complexity of fixing the TPMS?

I’m considering selling the car and want it in tip top shape in preparation.

please feel feel to direct message me to avoid dragging out this thread.

Old 07-07-2022, 11:17 AM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Cub Fan
My light just came on 2 weeks ago and am reading through all the posts to sort it all out.

I do not have the tools or reader to complete the fix myself.

are there any forum members in the Milwaukee area that have fixed this issue or can recommend a shop familiar with the complexity of fixing the TPMS?

I’m considering selling the car and want it in tip top shape in preparation.

please feel feel to direct message me to avoid dragging out this thread.
The battery has died in one or more of the sensors, you can get them replaced by having each tire taken off and the sensor replaced or simply disconnect a wire above the rear view mirror, the light will go out and that will be the cheap way out There is a thread on this method and it will cost you nothing if you do it yourself, very easy.
I did the latter and now I check the tire pressure the good old fashioned way.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:55 PM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

In my personal opinion, anyone spending $ on that stupid, dated TPMS is throwing it away. I fixed my problem with a little piece of flat black electrical tape stuck over that stupid dash light. I think I could disable the light permanently screwing around with wires up by the rear view mirror if I recall but I'm too lazy for that. As I get my tires replaced I'll be having those monitors taken out, thrown away and wheels re-balanced. Anyone who doesn't glance at their tires before they get into their car to drive it or can't tell one is going flat or is flat as soon as they sit in it or start driving it doesn't know their car. Just my opinion though. I've always said the #1 tell as to whether or not you're buying a meticulously maintained used XF is if the TPMS is functioning. However, you won't be able to tell if they disconnected the dash light.

Old 07-07-2022, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Deepsea21
In my personal opinion, anyone spending $ on that stupid, dated TPMS is throwing it away. I fixed my problem with a little piece of flat black electrical tape stuck over that stupid dash light. I think I could disable the light permanently screwing around with wires up by the rear view mirror if I recall but I'm too lazy for that. As I get my tires replaced I'll be having those monitors taken out, thrown away and wheels re-balanced. Anyone who doesn't glance at their tires before they get into their car to drive it or can't tell one is going flat or is flat as soon as they sit in it or start driving it doesn't know their car. Just my opinion though. I've always said the #1 tell as to whether or not you're buying a meticulously maintained used XF is if the TPMS is functioning. However, you won't be able to tell if they disconnected the dash light.
No TPMS dash light when all the idiot lights come on means no TPMS .

Old 07-07-2022, 11:36 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I was not stupid when I had my sensors replaced. I like everything functioning as should be. Now a piece of electrical tape on my dash. I will leave it at that.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:41 AM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
No TPMS dash light when all the idiot lights come on means no TPMS .
You're right! That's how one can tell if it's been disabled. Hadn't thought if that.

Old 07-08-2022, 05:11 PM
Received 399 Likes on 342 Posts

You're right! That's how one can tell if it's been disabled. Hadn't thought if that.

Only if they know the light is there, it seems... Oh, if a 'State' has an inspection system, do you know if the one (or system) used knows the car has a TPMS system installed from the factory? If so, does anyone know if they were ever queried about a bypassed system and or failed inspection?

Old 07-09-2022, 01:05 PM

💡I wonder if the TPMS idiot bulb could be wired to another idiot light, that way it would go on and off at the same time as the one it was wired to. The TPMS bulb being disabled as normal above the map light.

Old 07-09-2022, 03:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 157 Likes on 119 Posts

In the United States, TPMS is mandatory for all vehicles produced after September 2007. In the European Union, TPMS is mandatory for all new passenger vehicles released after November 1, 2012
Regarding whether the TPMS needs to be functioning properly in order to pass inspection is up to the individual state. The majority do not require it to be working. Simply check your state's law.
Since all but one year (08) of Crossfires produced were prior to the mandate there is possible recourse/argument that you are entitled to an exemption. Again, check with your state's law.
Exemptions apply regarding vehicle seat belts. If the car is older than 1965, the seat belt law is not valid because cars manufactured before this date often did not have seat belts. Seems the same logic could be used regarding TPMS.

Last edited by copperfieldkid; 07-10-2022 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-09-2022, 04:16 PM
Received 195 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by copperfieldkid
In the United States, TPMS is mandatory for all vehicles produced after September 2007. In the European Union, TPMS is mandatory for all new passenger vehicles released after November 1, 2012
Regarding whether the TPMS needs to be functioning properly in order to pass inspection is up to the individual state. The majority do not require it to be working. Simply check your state's law.
Since all Crossfires were produced prior to the mandate there is possible recourse/argument that you are entitled to an exemption. Again, check with your state's law.
Exemptions apply regarding vehicle seat belts. If the car is older than 1965, the seat belt law is not valid because cars manufactured before this date often did not have seat belts. Seems the same logic could be used regarding TPMS.
YES, Finally someone with some common sense!!!!! I have been saying this for years; No one listens,

The following users liked this post:
LagDan (07-10-2022)
Old 01-18-2023, 02:35 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My tire store installed new tire sensors, but couldn't reprogram the TPMS. Said i needed to go to dealer. My dealer couldn't figure out how to relearn my TPMS. They charged me $75 to tell me I needed to have another $300 part installed, "that may not fix the problem". Well I just bought my own DRB III emulator ($170) and did the work myself. No $300 part needed! Apparently, my dealer didn't know how to perform a relearn of the TPMS, as shown in this video.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
ZH SRT6 (02-11-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 08:24 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm confused after watching the video. Did you stop relearning or is your system functional?

Quick Reply: New TPMS do not seem to work