Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

$30,000 new car and I still need $1,500 in snow tires? How do we contact Chrysler?

Old 01-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy $30,000 new car and I still need $1,500 in snow tires? How do we contact Chrysler?

Bought my crossfire on New Year's Eve. Last night, I got off work and had to call a tow truck at 3am when I was only two blocks from home. I was 100% stuck, wheels spinning helplessly, trying to go through ONE INCH of snow/ice! Traction contol on or off, no matter what gear, nothing but spin--even with a "biggie sized" police officer pushing by hand from behind. I have never in my life experienced such horrible handling and traction in a sports car in snowy weather, and I have owned 23 cars in the last 14 years.

Today I got up and began trying to locate snow tires. I tried Tire Rack and was told that there are none of the 19" available for our cars and they suggested buying a set of four matching 18" rims and snow tires pre-mounted-to the tune of over $1,600.

Three other places strongly warned AGAINST changing to the 18" wheels in the back stating something about how changing the diameter ratio over .03% would severely effect the ABS system. They said the car was too expensive and the tires and wheels were too costly to make a mistake like that.

I was told from Chrysler Dealerships that the tires are not available as Chrysler did not anticipate how many were needed, and the 19" are back ordered for at least 2 weeks.

In general from everyone, I was told that when do eventually become available, the tires will run anywhere between $1,200 to $1,500 for the four tires alone.

A few days ago, I spent almost $30k on a new car. Today, I had to call for a ride to work and ride "twinkie" in a farmer's 4x4 while everyone joked because my car wont move more than a foot without getting stuck. No one seems to have tires to fit the rear of the Crossfire and wont have for weeks on end. I have to get to work in the present.

Chrysler seems to have really dropped the ball here. We bought these cars in good faith, and now are left basically stranded. Why should a person spend $30k for a car and then have to pay an additional $1,500 to get the car up to specs to drive the car in all seasons. (From the related posts i have read, the Continental all seasons are severely lacking-mine, being used at 1,600 miles, didnt even come with those). I could see this problem with a $6,000 Geo, but this car should be in a whole different class.

It sounds like some of you have some Chrysler connections or maybe even work there-who can we approach about this?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Ruzo

Old 01-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: $30,000 new car and I still need $1500 in snow tires? How do we contact Chrysler?

I don't understand the ABS issue. In your manual, it is recommended to use 18" wheels on the rear with snow tires.

Go on e-bay, buy a couple of 18" wheels, call your local tire center and buy 4 18" snow tires (I bought Dunlops), have them mounted, and put some weight in the trunk. You will be good to go for most weather....

There are no cars I am aware of that come with snow tires.

Especially rear drive sports cars!

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Default Re: $30,000 new car and I still need $1500 in snow tires? How do we contact Chrysler?

I'm driving an srt6 roadster with all season tires and have had no trouble driving it in 2 to 3 inches of snow. Last year I had the coupe and that was fine as well. It's the non all season tires that could have an issue in the snow.

If you are interested in wheels I have 2 18's and 2 19's for sale. See the parts and accessories for my ad.

Good luck!

mustangdriver

Old 01-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy a set of wheels and tires 18, SLK or Mercedes Benz SL500 fit. Or just after market ones.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:53 PM

thanks folks, appreciate your wisdom.

just confirming, will the following set of wheels work? found them at ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

Thanks for walking me through this, my area of expertise is in criminal investigations, not mechanical ones

thanks, ruzo

Old 01-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Banned

Yes you may ask them about the offset on the rear though. All Benz bolt patterns are the same except MLs I believe. Ask them.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:39 AM

Are you in an area where there is a lot of snow? If so, why a Crossfire for a daily driver? Get yourself a beater for the winter. A $1,500 Civic would be better in the snow than the Crossfire with snow tires. Saves getting all that salt on it too. Another suggestion. If you're going to get wheels for snow tires, don't get chrome. you're better off with painted wheels.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:17 AM

Damn... this thread would have been very informative for you BEFORE you purchased your Crossfire... sorry... Click here for topic

Here's a picture of 18" on all 4 w/Blizzaks (awesome snow tires).

Click here

Old 01-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Banned
Thumbs up Re: $30,000 new car and I still need $1500 in snow tires? How do we contact Chrysler?

Originally Posted by harry7
Are you in an area where there is a lot of snow? If so, why a Crossfire for a daily driver? Get yourself a beater for the winter. A $1,500 Civic would be better in the snow than the Crossfire with snow tires. Saves getting all that salt on it too. Another suggestion. If you're going to get wheels for snow tires, don't get chrome. you're better off with painted wheels.
I'd DITTO this! Why drive a new car in lousey weather conditions. Buy a beater for $1,500.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:53 AM

So Ruzo, Which of the two tire types do you actuallay have on your new Crossfire?

There are several threads where the Continentals do ok in snow, not great, but not like what you are reporting.

Old 01-08-2005, 05:30 PM

i have the summer pilots, my car was used with only 1600 miles on it, and it didnt come from a chrysler dealer.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:53 AM

Hate to tell you this but while its true 1600 miles is really close to new... I feel you paying almost $30,000 is too much. I and I have read here others were way under 30,000. Though I should ask Coupe or Roadster? 04 or 05?

I like the PS2's (in Summer that is) stick really well but yeah winter driving requires a different tire and wheel package. Has anyone heard of using a 17" wheel and approprate sized tire? If I were looking that would be the direction I would go. Remember when you purchase winter tires the less tread width the better (and easier the tire slices threw to solid pavement) and keep the factory tire height so the ABS and other systems still work correctly.

Old 01-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Forum Regular

Ruzo, I have the Continentals and they work OK, certainly not like yours. Lots of snow too. But just to make you feel better you should try the 350Z in snow. I've been told that they are worse and don't offer an all seasons from what I have seen. Just to give you a comparison, my Firebird and Camaros on summer tires where worse on ice & snow than the Xfire so with all seasons, I would imagine, would make them about the same. I only lost 2 days of driving so far this winter and that was during 2 feet of snow. I didn't even try. The Continentals work reasonable in the winter and give you a little better launch in the summer. What I mean is that you can dump the clutch at around 3,000 and get just enough wheel spin to completely avoid the bogging that some of the guys are experiencing with the Mich. You won't have to change tires for the seasons. However, if you add a lot of hp to the stock model or do a lot of road racing, then the Mich. will more than likely work better.
Of course this information would be more useful to someone who hasn't already got a set of Mich. already on thier car. Just more stuff to make you say......HUMMMMMM????

Old 01-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Lightbulb Re: $30,000 new car and I still need $1500 in snow tires? How do we contact Chrysler?

If you paid 30k for the car. you should have done more research. I paid $28, 200. Do a search on Blizzak and you'll find your answer. I got 4 18" rims from eBay for less than $100 each. Had them painted and put LM22 Blizzaks on. Cost of tires $170 for tiresavings.com. Total cost was just over $1200. Car drives very well in cold, snow and rain. Not as well as the Pilots in summer but considering its 9f today in Chicago this morning, very good. I get to drive my car all year.

Regarding a couple of comments about the ABS. The wheels have nothing. I'll say it again for the non-mechanical folks who read and post to this board, NOTHING to do with the ABS. The sensor is on the hub. So unless you change the hub the ABS will work just fine. Check the owner’s manual and the service manual and you will see that DC recommends 18"s for the winter. But then again who reads the manual...................

Here’s a pic. Need to put spacers in the rear.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tachmentid=208

Last edited by theotherbrit; 01-16-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:39 PM
Cool Re: $30,000 new car and I still need $1500 in snow tires? How do we contact Chrysler?

what idiot would drive a new cross fire in the snow and them fault chrysler for it must be an ivy leager

Old 01-16-2005, 09:49 PM

Ive been driving my crossfire on 17" inche wheels with blizzak 225/45/17. Only got stuck trying to push the snow with my crossfire the snow was higher than my foglights. Almost made it. With a faster running start it went through without a problem. No problems since the blizzaks make the car a lil' snowmobile. Got my setup from tirerack, set me back 1200, better than buying a beater that will end you costing you more money in the long run, trust me on this i know, buying a beater is like playing Russian Rollette, with 1 chamber empty.
The car has had no problems since i have put on the 17's and the ride has gotten much better.

Last edited by Bullseye; 01-16-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by ROY BARBER
what idiot would drive a new cross fire in the snow and them fault chrysler for it must be an ivy leager
I'm not sure "idiot" is very kind. Not everyone can afford a second vehicle, but I bought my Crossfire knowing it would never see snow!! It's not only a question of your ability to get around, but also the other guys slidding into you. Not to mention salt, mag chloride, sand or whatever they use in your location.
For most people a two seat sports car is a "toy", not a daily driver

Old 07-25-2005, 10:21 AM

Did you have the summer performance tires or the factory all season tires when you bought the car? We are looking at buying a 2004 six speed with the all season tires and would like to know if it would be OK in the snow.

Old 07-26-2005, 09:56 PM

i bought my car used and it came with the summer pilots. i will be purchasing some kind of snow or all season tires before winter, because last year, i literally got stuck in 2" of SLUSH on a slight grade. i have driven all kinds of cars in all kinds of weather-even managed a jaguar xjs convertible through an Iowa winter. but without a doubt, the crossfire with the summer tires is absolutely the worst handling combination in winter weather that i have ever experienced. get the crossfire, you'll love it--but get the all season tires if you expect to do ANY winter driving.

good luck,

todd aka ruzo

Old 07-27-2005, 01:30 PM

I have the all season tires and went though a New England winter-have now purchased some new rims and will be mounting snow tires for the next winter season!

Quick Reply: $30,000 new car and I still need $1,500 in snow tires? How do we contact Chrysler?