Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Thumping noise in rear when sitting idle...

Old 05-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumping noise in rear when sitting idle...

Anyone experience this on xfire. It happens almost everyday when sitting idle at stoplights, fast food drive-thru's etc with the brakes applied....? I never have any cargo in rear and the thump seems to be coming from somewhere in the rear just below the cargo area, so the only thing that comes to mind is the rear brakes / suspension...any thoughts?

Old 05-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Default Re: Thumping noise in rear when sitting idle...

I had something similar but when I was driving. Turned out to be a faulty rear hatch latch that was fixed for free under a Crossfire technical service bulletin. If you haven't tried it yet, wouldn't hurt to go to your Chrysler Dealership, according to the TSB, all it takes is a customer complaint of the sound and they will replace the latch. If that doesn't take care of it you'll know to look deeper.

Good luck,

Ruzo

Old 05-06-2005, 12:57 PM

This issue has been previously discussed. Check this tread and the MB TSB article, I think it may answer your concern:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...=popping+noise

http://www.slk32.com/pages/fuelthump/fuelthump.html

Old 06-01-2005, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by steelcoasterboy
Anyone experience this on xfire. It happens almost everyday when sitting idle at stoplights, fast food drive-thru's etc with the brakes applied....? I never have any cargo in rear and the thump seems to be coming from somewhere in the rear just below the cargo area, so the only thing that comes to mind is the rear brakes / suspension...any thoughts?
Hey Steelcoasterboy!

I'm pretty sure I had the same problem in my car. Fortunately, my son is a technician at a Chrysler dealer here in Denver. He and his friend spent 3 days chasing it down. I was definitely an emissions valve. I would describe the noise as a pop, sometimes 2 or 3, usually heard at stoplights. If I listen very carefully, with the radio off, I can still hear it since the repair was done, but it's 95% better.
If you haven't resolved the issue, or need part numbers, etc. let me know, I will dig up my receipts. Incidentally, Chrysler was unwilling to pay my son and the other tech for all the hours they spent finding the problem!!

Old 06-01-2005, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by drhrsh
Hey Steelcoasterboy!

I'm pretty sure I had the same problem in my car. Fortunately, my son is a technician at a Chrysler dealer here in Denver. He and his friend spent 3 days chasing it down. I was definitely an emissions valve. I would describe the noise as a pop, sometimes 2 or 3, usually heard at stoplights. If I listen very carefully, with the radio off, I can still hear it since the repair was done, but it's 95% better.
If you haven't resolved the issue, or need part numbers, etc. let me know, I will dig up my receipts. Incidentally, Chrysler was unwilling to pay my son and the other tech for all the hours they spent finding the problem!!
Did your son and his friend do it on their own time or while on the clock at work? If you took it in a work order was generated, then I would think they would be obligated to pay them. On the other hand, if the work was done on their own time no money is due them.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Gene12
Did your son and his friend do it on their own time or while on the clock at work? If you took it in a work order was generated, then I would think they would be obligated to pay them. On the other hand, if the work was done on their own time no money is due them.
Dear Gene,

They did it at work, on the clock, but dealers (Chrysler Corp) only allow a certain number of hours of pay for investigating "squeaks and rattles". I believe they received 2 hrs. pay. Any technician will tell you the most dreaded job is a noise complaint...they make no money on it. My son just wanted to please his Dad and find the problem. I was fortunate!