Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

puzzle noise with not much to go on...

Old 08-08-2018, 10:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default puzzle noise with not much to go on...

I had 2 new front wheels installed. I had 2 rear tires installed. Almost everything seems perfect. I love the replica wheels from Rock Auto. They look perfect.

I am hoping that it is nothing but when driving relatively slowly (20mph) with the top down I hear something like the jingle of loose change when driving over a bump. I turned around and ran over the same bump 4 times and heard the loose change jingle 2 additional times. I took the car back to the shop and could not duplicate the sound with the mechanic in the car. Any ideas? Or should I forget about it.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: puzzle noise with not much to go on...

Originally Posted by Joe_Lukeman
I had 2 new front wheels installed. I had 2 rear tires installed. Almost everything seems perfect. I love the replica wheels from Rock Auto. They look perfect.

I am hoping that it is nothing but when driving relatively slowly (20mph) with the top down I hear something like the jingle of loose change when driving over a bump. I turned around and ran over the same bump 4 times and heard the loose change jingle 2 additional times. I took the car back to the shop and could not duplicate the sound with the mechanic in the car. Any ideas? Or should I forget about it.
Don't forget about it! If you're hearing something new go back to what was done recently and double check everything that was touched and take any loose change out of your pocket. LOL

Old 08-09-2018, 06:34 PM
Received 556 Likes on 468 Posts
Default Re: puzzle noise with not much to go on...

Originally Posted by Joe_Lukeman
I had 2 new front wheels installed. I had 2 rear tires installed. Almost everything ..........
I took the car back to the shop and could not duplicate the sound with the mechanic in the car. Any ideas? Or should I forget about it.
The mechanic realized there was money left in your pocket, so he scooped up what he had missed the first time.
Soooo! Way back when I had wheel disks on I remember a time when I had the same thing and it was a stone caught behind the disk, at higher speeds centrifugal force held the stone so it did not rattle around.
Is it possible there is something caught inside the ebrake drum.