Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Front Coil Springs??

Old 04-05-2019, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Coil Springs??

I have a 2004 Crossfire and my two front coil springs are broken. The part has been discontinued and seem to be impossible to find. My other option at this point is to go with a lowering kit, which means I would need to replace all 4 springs and drop the car 1" - which I'm definitely not wanting to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can get the OEM front springs - I feel like I've literally looked everywhere. If not, has anyone lowered their Crossfire and are you happy with it? I live in NY, so the car is only driven in the summer months and parked for the winters. It's not a daily driver - not more than 2 days a week is it driven in the summer months.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:26 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Front Coil Springs??

Originally Posted by kristilinn2
I have a 2004 Crossfire and my two front coil springs are broken. The part has been discontinued and seem to be impossible to find. My other option at this point is to go with a lowering kit, which means I would need to replace all 4 springs and drop the car 1" - which I'm definitely not wanting to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can get the OEM front springs - I feel like I've literally looked everywhere. If not, has anyone lowered their Crossfire and are you happy with it? I live in NY, so the car is only driven in the summer months and parked for the winters. It's not a daily driver - not more than 2 days a week is it driven in the summer months.
look on eBay, a car being parted out or a wrecker yard.
There are lots of cars being parted out and most of them will have good springs.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:56 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Needswings is the ONLY source, I just replaced mine,I bought them there.

Last edited by ZX2 Nick; 06-20-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ZX2 Nick
Needswings is the ONLY source, I just replaced mine,I bought them their.
Where do they get them from?

Old 06-20-2019, 05:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

From a supplier that clearly is not known to any other people that sell such parts, and that's fine, they are reasonably priced. The brand was is popular maker of quality shock absorbers that starts with a B.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:48 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Seems like this is the year of the coil spring, been several reports of broken coil springs lately, acouple years ago it was cracks in wheels.

O well might be a good excuse for me to go with coil overs all the way around

Old 06-23-2019, 11:18 AM
Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

Rob is the Go to Guy for this.
I purchased my set-up from him. After a short time, I determined (personal preference) I need the fronts a litter higher but I had them maxed.

I called Rob again and he had a solution. It’s nice to be able to call or email and know you’re going to get a package that’s tested and works. If you have specific requirements, give him a call.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:00 PM

onehundred80,
Took my 04 Crossfire for its' Pennsylvania inspection today and found that the right front spring is broken. I see that NeedsWings sells the front two coil springs for $187.95. I saw your comment about used springs but I don't want to install used springs. Do you know if anyone else sells new front coil springs for the Crossfire? I'm going to checkout RockAuto. Maybe RockAuto has springs listed for the Mercedes 320 SLK which should be the same as the Crossfire springs. Any comments or help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:22 PM

onehundred80,
I checked out RockAuto and they don't carry new coil springs for the Crossfire or Mercedes 320SLK so I guess I'll order new springs from NeedsWings.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:15 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbirdtony
onehundred80,
I checked out RockAuto and they don't carry new coil springs for the Crossfire or Mercedes 320SLK so I guess I'll order new springs from NeedsWings.
FCPEuro has a lowering set :

Old 06-28-2019, 06:38 AM

ala_xfire,
Thanks for the information but I am not interested in lowering my Crossfire. Standard ride height is fine with me.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:55 PM

Does anybody know the part or model# for the Bilstein front coil springs that fit? I was going to order the ones from needs wings but if they are Bilstein springs for $187 for the pair you can order them for about $32 a piece from anywhere else. Thanks for any help.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sdj81
Does anybody know the part or model# for the Bilstein front coil springs that fit? I was going to order the ones from needs wings but if they are Bilstein springs for $187 for the pair you can order them for about $32 a piece from anywhere else. Thanks for any help.
nickels and dimes
a set of springs for under $200
buy them from Rob and you know they’ll be the right ones.

if there’s a problem, you have recourse

$32 bucks for a spring. You must be rich because only rich people can afford to buy cheap stuff over and over again

springs are important and last a long time. Do yourself a favour and buy the correct set, one time.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another avenue

Coil Spring Specialties | Classic Cars

best of luck in your search

Old 09-27-2019, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by UrbanE
nickels and dimes
a set of springs for under $200
buy them from Rob and you know they’ll be the right ones.

if there’s a problem, you have recourse

$32 bucks for a spring. You must be rich because only rich people can afford to buy cheap stuff over and over again

springs are important and last a long time. Do yourself a favour and buy the correct set, one time.
I don't consider Bilstein products to be "cheap stuff" but I do agree to buying the correct set one time.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sdj81
I don't consider Bilstein products to be "cheap stuff" but I do agree to buying the correct set one time.
You misread the post, think about it again logically.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:38 AM

Thx 180
you are 100% correct. You pay more from Needswings.
it’s a knowledge/convenience fee. The part will work, first time, right out of the box. Jack it up, take off the wheel take everything apart, install spring (it’s correct) and then you assemble, drop and drive off. Better get an alignment.

or

You can ask the members. With this option there is a chance that what worked or satisfied another may not be the right solution for you

so you buy the part, jack up the car, remove the wheel, take everything apart go to assemble and discover that the part is incorrect. This work stop is more than $200

This is why I made the you must be rich comment. Because only people with an unlimited supply of cash can afford to buy a part with any level of uncertainty. If it doesn’t work, they can order another part. While they wait for the replacement, they can drive another car because the crossfire is in pieces.

If this is your daily driver, can you afford to be without it for a few days or weeks he wailing for replacement parts?

but if your flush with cash and have a second car then a gamble may be worth it.

I've purchased less expensive items in the past only to discover my error upon installation. I keep a few of those items as reminders. The forum isn’t all parts and pieces. Many of the forum benefits are about collective knowledge and experience.

having said all of this, please share the outcome. If it’s successful, congrats, share the win. If it doesn’t work out, share that too so that we’ll all benefit from your experience.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:46 PM

Thanks UrbanE for the Great insight that totally makes sense to me, felt that way from the beginning but was just trying to save a few bucks which in the end always doesn't work out. Ordered them from needs wings today. Happy to have found this form last year, and able to talk to fellow crossfire owners like you that could point me in the right direction/keep me on track.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:03 AM

In case someone is searching front springs in the future, I bought mine from an online store after doing some research and finding a few compatible brands. I ended up with TRW's due to high availability at the time of purchase. The correct model for crossfire is https://www.trwaftermarket.com/en/ca...oduct/JCS1203/ and there is a handy search catalog in the site as well for other parts/cars.

Other compatible springs verified were at least some Suplex and Spidan 85598.