Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

POTENZA RE-71R's or VENTUS R-S4's?

Old 06-26-2020, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POTENZA RE-71R's or VENTUS R-S4's?

Hey guys,

Long time no chat to all of you guys I met at the tail of the dragon last year!! I need new tires for my SRT6. The ones that are on there are shot. I am comparing these two tires:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...RatingsReviews

and these:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ty=2&tab=Sizes

I'm keeping OEM sizing for the front but I'm going up a bit to 275/35/19 for the rear after Valk posted his top about using 285/35/19's. I don't wanna go that big due to the overall height being larger.

That being said here are my facts I'll give you:

- I don't care about all seasons and do NOT want all season tires. This isn't my daily driver and I will NOT be driving it in the snow or rain.
- Obviously I could be out and get caught in the rain so there has to be consideration there regarding hydroplaning issues that something like the Toyo R888R's would have. My wife drives the car too and I don't need to worry about her safety if she's out and accidentally gets caught in the rain
- This is NOT a track car or a drag race car
- Whatever the MAXIMUM grip I can get is ideal. I drive this car HARD... I mean hard.... I hammer it and I want the best damn tires I can get for traction, cornering and dry pavement use.
- Price isn't a concern for me. I want whatever is best.

Any other ideas are welcomed and I'm *NOT* set on either of these two but these are the two I've narrowed down to.

On a side note. I like the idea of these BF Goodrich G-Force Rival S 1.5's but they don't make the correct size I need for the front tires so I chalked them off the list. I thought about using two different tires but I ruled that out because I'm not sure that's a good idea overall to have two tires that behave differently. I could be wrong here and if I am please let me know your thoughts on that as well?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...oModClar=SRT-6

What do I do??????

Old 06-27-2020, 10:12 AM
Received 381 Likes on 329 Posts
Default Re: POTENZA RE-71R's or VENTUS R-S4's?

Originally Posted by JB007Rules
Hey guys,

Long time no chat to all of you guys I met at the tail of the dragon last year!! I need new tires for my SRT6. The ones that are on there are shot. I am comparing these two tires:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...RatingsReviews

and these:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ty=2&tab=Sizes

I'm keeping OEM sizing for the front but I'm going up a bit to 275/35/19 for the rear after Valk posted his top about using 285/35/19's. I don't wanna go that big due to the overall height being larger.

That being said here are my facts I'll give you:

- I don't care about all seasons and do NOT want all season tires. This isn't my daily driver and I will NOT be driving it in the snow or rain.
- Obviously I could be out and get caught in the rain so there has to be consideration there regarding hydroplaning issues that something like the Toyo R888R's would have. My wife drives the car too and I don't need to worry about her safety if she's out and accidentally gets caught in the rain
- This is NOT a track car or a drag race car
- Whatever the MAXIMUM grip I can get is ideal. I drive this car HARD... I mean hard.... I hammer it and I want the best damn tires I can get for traction, cornering and dry pavement use.
- Price isn't a concern for me. I want whatever is best.

Any other ideas are welcomed and I'm *NOT* set on either of these two but these are the two I've narrowed down to.

On a side note. I like the idea of these BF Goodrich G-Force Rival S 1.5's but they don't make the correct size I need for the front tires so I chalked them off the list. I thought about using two different tires but I ruled that out because I'm not sure that's a good idea overall to have two tires that behave differently. I could be wrong here and if I am please let me know your thoughts on that as well?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...oModClar=SRT-6

What do I do??????

No matter what selection you make, the only contribution I have is the only restriction on mixing tires or brands I know of, is make sure the tires on the same axle, are the same. Two fronts of same, two rear of same. Good luck!

Old 06-28-2020, 12:22 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I liked Yokohama AD08 a lot for a street/hooligan tire. I preferred the Hankook RS-3 for the track but it's loud on the street. (RS-4 is basically the same) I have no experience the the Bridgestones. You could use Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 but they are $$$ and don't last long.

Les

Old 07-07-2020, 04:52 PM

Hey guys,

I had one more tire that I found out and was wondering if anyone has ran these on your SRT6? https://www.nittotire.com/passenger-...llreviewspage/

Nitto NT05's

Thoughts?

Old 07-08-2020, 09:25 AM
Received 187 Likes on 155 Posts

"Thoughts?" I have read your first post. Have you been to the website of Tirerack?? First search for tire categories; read the description of each category and decide which best fits your requirement. Then choose a tire from that category: Track only; Street and track, Extreme Performance summer, Max Performance, Ultra High, etc >> With your wife driving the car you may want to consider something that is more quite than the high end dry road grip tire, which I doubt you will be using to it's full capabilities on your daily drives. The Potenza and the Ventus you mentioned are both direction treads. You will not be able to rotate them side to side which means you are less likely to get as much mileage from them as similar asymmetric designed tire.The nitto you mentioned looks prone to hydroplaning more so than the others. If you purchase those you will definitely need to go slow in the rain.

Last edited by zip439; 07-08-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:52 AM

I appreciate your reply zip439! And yes, I live on tirerack.com. The Nittos weren't even listed there though which is why it was an after thought when the Discount Tire guy mentioned them. I understand that with soft gummy tires they might only last 10,000 miles or less but the reality is this: I live in IL, my car is sitting in my garage for 6 months of the year and the other 6 months would be LUCKY to hit 1,000 miles a year... With potential trips considered we're talking 5 - 8 years of life due to extremely low mileage so I'm fine with that. It's not my daily driver, it is my baby and she stays tendered up in the garage all the time. That being said, I also don't really care about cost, I want the best of the best as this is a performance car My wife drives VERY slow too. She's NEVER even floored it lol. If it was pouring out she'd just pull over and wait it out as she wouldn't be comfortable with it with any kind of tire lol.

I do appreciate the tip on the inability to rotate them too! I didn't even think of that!