Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Curb rash wheels...need some help!

Old 07-18-2005, 12:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Curb rash wheels...need some help!

Two of my wheels have minor curb rashes and in a few weeks I want to fix them. I was going to use the technique described at bettercarcare.com, but I am worried about one thing...whether or not the wheel lacquer prescribed by their article matches the color of our wheels. Here is the link to the article (the first picture is exactly how my wheels' damage look like):

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=30

The article says that the Wurth Silver Wheel paint matches the paint found on Mercedes Benz wheels, but I believe our wheels are painted differently. Any suggestions for me in terms of getting the paint to match, or is what is being prescribed perfectly fine?

Old 07-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Curb rash wheels...need some help!

....I curbed wheels on my previous car, and getting an exact color match was extremely difficult. It required mixing two shades of paint to get a close match. Even after I was done, the damage was still apparent, because the scratches were still there.

One piece of advice I would like to offer to anyone who owns one of these cars: BEWARE of ANY car wash (touchless or otherwise) that uses wheel guides for the left side of the car. With low profile tires, these are a recipe for curb rash. I learned this the hard way...

Old 07-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL Bondo Putty! Seriously. Take your wheels to a "wheel repair shop" They typically cost $130 a wheel. They will resurface and spray the wheel. They will "WELD" on an aluminum bead and sand that down.

If you don't know of any, ask your dealer. Ask a MERCEDES / PORSCHE / BMW dealer. Most of their customers actually "care" about what their cars look like. They will have the contacts for getting such a wheel repaired.

We got a few shops here in Dallas that I've seen first hand take bent wheels that wouldn't even hold air and fix them in such a way you never even knew it was damaged! This was on a Maybach! Talk about oops!

Bondo :rolling eyes: Can you even think of what is going to happen to your BONDO touch up the next time you get your tires changed? Plus the IDIOT actually spray painted his wheels ON THE CAR! Hello! He even says later down in the post that you should cover up most of the car! Why not try TAKING THE WHEEL OFF?!?

Sometimes the internet can steer you in the wrong direction. BIG TIME.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:42 PM

Lol; a guy posted at the bottom of that page too about why he wouldn't just take the wheel off. I would definitely recommend just taking them to a reputable repair shop and ensure they are done right.

You could always just buy new rims and stay away from curbs!! j/p.

Seriously though; Most if not all "hand" car washes should have the option of having the car washed "off-track". It won't be posted so you'll just have to tell them that's what you want. They'll just hand wash it in the back for you and not run it through the track.

Just make sure they know what type of wheel cleaner to use (probably not an issue on the stock wheels). I've had to re-polish my rims twice from people not using the right product, and once was at the dealer! I've sworn off car washes, dealer included at this point.

Old 07-20-2005, 03:57 PM

I am not familiar with bondo...what is wrong with using it?

Old 07-28-2005, 08:54 AM

still nobody has answered my above question.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Forum Regular

Bondo isn't a metal, its a paste that hardens. Kind of like a clay cement. With a little pressure from a wheel mounting machine, it would scrape off no problem. That would mean you would now have half bondo half curbed wheel and missing paint. You do intend on changing your tires don't you? Just get it repaired professionally. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:50 PM

It's something that a body shop would use to fix a missing piece of a body kit or bumper. It definitely has no place being on your wheel!

Old 07-28-2005, 03:11 PM

all right, I'll agree. but, my Crossfire is leased and in about a year and a half the car is gone...between now and then, I don't think I will get new tires.

Old 07-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Forum Regular

What is your vin number? :lol:

Old 07-28-2005, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by golfdude
all right, I'll agree, but, my Crossfire is leased and in about a year and a half the car is gone...between now and then, I don't think I will get new tires.
Well if that's the case I'd just say leave it be or just do some plain ol' touch-up paint!

Old 07-28-2005, 07:46 PM

If you have the patients you might check out wheels on ebay. I go a set of 4 last year for $150 + $50 for shipping - no caps or pressure sensors were included, but a really good price, one had some scrapes and I had it repared for $75.00. Often people who mess up a wheel use that as an reaspn to get a new set, some folks just want to be different. I also got a set of caps for $20.00, Have them in my attic( next to the tock exhaust) just incase I mess up a wheel some time in the future.