Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Steering damper replaced

Old 01-23-2023, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering damper replaced

Good afternoon everyone,
My 2004 crossfire has just flipped over the 57,000 mile mark and still brings a smile to my face with each turn of the key. After changing out my rear diff fluid and radiator fluid, I noticed oil seepage around my steering damper. It was original. Needswings to the rescue! Fast, easy and timely. What a gem. It was a breeze changing it out. Wish all repairs could go that smoothly.
While I was under there, I thought I壇 check my shocks as they are still the originals too. Yup, time to change those out as well. The front two look like they can be reasonably swapped out, but I知 pretty sure I値l need to stock up on the bad words when tackling the rears. I知 leaning towards the KYB version as I知 pretty much just a cruiser and not a track kind of guy. All opinions are welcomed. Lots of respect for those who have been there and done that.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:05 PM
Forum Regular
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Re: Steering damper replaced

Originally Posted by tenger55
Good afternoon everyone,
My 2004 crossfire has just flipped over the 57,000 mile mark and still brings a smile to my face with each turn of the key. After changing out my rear diff fluid and radiator fluid, I noticed oil seepage around my steering damper. It was original. Needswings to the rescue! Fast, easy and timely. What a gem. It was a breeze changing it out. Wish all repairs could go that smoothly.
While I was under there, I thought I壇 check my shocks as they are still the originals too. Yup, time to change those out as well. The front two look like they can be reasonably swapped out, but I知 pretty sure I値l need to stock up on the bad words when tackling the rears. I知 leaning towards the KYB version as I知 pretty much just a cruiser and not a track kind of guy. All opinions are welcomed. Lots of respect for those who have been there and done that.
I hate the KYB shocks, I recommend any other brand whether it is Sachs, Monroe, Billstein etc.

Old 01-28-2023, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took you advice Ronman and ordered the Monroe shocks. With the help of a good friend we got the front shocks in without any issues. Took about two hours, but we weren't in any hurry. Sure helps when you have all the right tools for the job. Had plenty of time left over to enjoy a rare 51 degree day here in the Midwest. Checking the schedule to see when we can get to the back two. Took her for a quick jaunt around the block and was very impressed with the difference - so far.

Thanks for the advice Ronman. I appreciate it very much. Now to get all that break dust out from behind my nails.

Tom

Old 01-28-2023, 10:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tenger55
Took you advice Ronman and ordered the Monroe shocks. With the help of a good friend we got the front shocks in without any issues. Took about two hours, but we weren't in any hurry. Sure helps when you have all the right tools for the job. Had plenty of time left over to enjoy a rare 51 degree day here in the Midwest. Checking the schedule to see when we can get to the back two. Took her for a quick jaunt around the block and was very impressed with the difference - so far.

Thanks for the advice Ronman. I appreciate it very much. Now to get all that break dust out from behind my nails.

Tom
Tom, I am very glad it all worked out for you. The right tools, knowledge and good help are a great combo. Good luck with the rear shocks they shouldn't be too hard. I think the hardest part is compressing them to install.