WTB - Items/Parts Wanted to Buy - Archive This forum is no longer accepting new listings. Go to **the *new* Crossfire Marketplace**

Bbk

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 03:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bbk

Looking for a lead where to buy the least expensive shipped StopTech BBK for the front (in black) for my SRT6.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Bbk

Rob has always been able to help with something like that. I would look to Needswings first. There was a guy who bought a big brake kit and tried and tried to resale it. It was a great buy. Brembos if I remember correctly. Not many want to spend that kind of money. I have played hard with both mine, and going ceramics, fluid, metal lines made a huge improvement. The rotors on these cars are thick and well suited for speed. I would have put bigger brakes on, but I really haven't needed them. $2000 plus buys a lot of HP...but I realize you still have to stop.......

Old 10-18-2014, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Rob has always been able to help with something like that. I would look to Needswings first. There was a guy who bought a big brake kit and tried and tried to resale it. It was a great buy. Brembos if I remember correctly. Not many want to spend that kind of money. I have played hard with both mine, and going ceramics, fluid, metal lines made a huge improvement. The rotors on these cars are thick and well suited for speed. I would have put bigger brakes on, but I really haven't needed them. $2000 plus buys a lot of HP...but I realize you still have to stop.......
LOL, yes I've already done the 2k+ for the H.P., but now I need to stop. I've gotten a lot faster at the track and am experiencing brake fade pretty regularly now. I'm ready to step up to the BBK for the track, and will probably be following Les's lead on using CarboTech pads. I have Goodridge lines and Motul 600, and have been using the StopTech street pads, but they just aren't cutting it for track use. I'll see what Rob can do for me, thanks.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:48 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have lots of good things to say about Stoptech BBK's. Truly bolt on, easy as pie. You'll need a 5mm spacer on the front with the stock rims. The pad selection for their calipers is huge. Everyone makes pads for them it seems. I'll bet your brake fade is the pads surpassing their maximum temperature range. If I were you, I'd buy myself some real track pads. Swap them in for the track and put the streets back in afterwards.
I'm facing problems boiling the fluid with my Stoptechs. R-Compound tires really up the braking G forces and heat production. I've had to replace the rotors once and rebuild the calipers. Parts aren't cheap. BTW, if you haven't already done it, repack the front wheel bearings with the best synthetic grease you can find. I used amsoil. If I trade up to the Trophy kit, I'll keep you in mind for my take offs. Unlikely to happen, but you never know.

Les

Old 10-19-2014, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I have lots of good things to say about Stoptech BBK's. Truly bolt on, easy as pie. You'll need a 5mm spacer on the front with the stock rims. The pad selection for their calipers is huge. Everyone makes pads for them it seems. I'll bet your brake fade is the pads surpassing their maximum temperature range. If I were you, I'd buy myself some real track pads. Swap them in for the track and put the streets back in afterwards.
I'm facing problems boiling the fluid with my Stoptechs. R-Compound tires really up the braking G forces and heat production. I've had to replace the rotors once and rebuild the calipers. Parts aren't cheap. BTW, if you haven't already done it, repack the front wheel bearings with the best synthetic grease you can find. I used amsoil. If I trade up to the Trophy kit, I'll keep you in mind for my take offs. Unlikely to happen, but you never know.

Les
Thanks Les, All good advice which I'll be heeding. If you're using the RBF 660(good to 617deg.)and still boiling, where do you go from there? C.A.I. brake ducts? I'm considering Carbotech XP10 for front, and XP8 for the rear. Whether I order them for my stock calipers or for the Stoptechs is a big ($) decision for me. I'm not quite confident enough yet to run R-Compound tires and am still running on RE-11's (awesome grip for street tires!).

Old 10-19-2014, 01:00 PM

Brake ducts. I haven't done it yet because I like my stock look with the fog lights.
The carbotechs are really great for the track. You CAN use them on the street, I do, but they dust like crazy and squeal. No noise when they get some heat in them. A reason lots of people give for NOT using them is cost and longevity. They're more than other options and wear out quickly. If cost is a concern you should look at some other options. I can't help you with which ones. Surf the road race forums for reviews.

Les

When looking for reviews or info check cars that weigh more or less the same as ours. I check what Corvette racers use or even Mustangs and big BMW's. Be aware of tire sizes because it all makes a difference. Also street tire vs. R-comp. What works on a light car may not be right for a heavy car, as well as street vs. race. Justin switched from Carbotech to Cobalt pads. It could be a sponsor thing or they're just better.

Last edited by velociabstract; 10-19-2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Added stuff
Old 10-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, if you are stepping up to what Les is doing, then certainly listen to him. My track days are few and far in between. I run hard a lot, but not on that consistency. Good luck, but your wallet will get a lot lighter for sure. Keep us posted. After I spring for this new suspension, next summer I might need new bigger brakes.....lol

Old 10-25-2014, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
BTW, if you haven't already done it, repack the front wheel bearings with the best synthetic grease you can find. I used amsoil.

Les
http://www.amsoil.com/shopres/products/270px/GRG.jpg
Is this the right stuff? I also just ordered a wheel bearing packer tool. The list of winter projects grows.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:30 PM

That's the stuff I used.

Les