WTB - Items/Parts Wanted to Buy - Archive This forum is no longer accepting new listings. Go to **the *new* Crossfire Marketplace**

NEED Drive SHAFT Center Support (bearing?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED Drive SHAFT Center Support (bearing?)

Hi guys
I need a drive shaft center support ( maybe called hang bearing?)
for 2004 crossfire auto

Please help me finding the part or let me know if you have one.

Thanks,
goykgo@gmail.com

Old 03-16-2016, 05:02 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: NEED Drive SHAFT Center Support (bearing?)

Here's one for a 2004 MB SLK320, SHOULD work : ( R170 platform )
04 2004 Mercedes SLK320 Driveshaft Support Bearing - Driveshaft & Axle - INA, SKF - PartsGeek

Old 03-16-2016, 07:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rob has the complete setup.
NeedsWings Performance Products. Driveshaft Support and Bearing

Old 03-17-2016, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by dinasrt

thank you
i just completed purchasing process in 'Needwings Performance Products Site' as you guided.

I hope it works well.

Thank you again

Old 07-13-2016, 05:46 PM

So can the repair be done (replacing the hanger bearing) without having to use a press or cut the driveshaft? Don't want to start taking it apart to find i can't finish the job? TX

parillaguy

Old 07-13-2016, 06:28 PM

found it, thanks

Old 07-13-2016, 09:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rostija
So can the repair be done (replacing the hanger bearing) without having to use a press or cut the driveshaft? Don't want to start taking it apart to find i can't finish the job? TX

parillaguy
No press required. Remove and replace.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:02 AM

Anyone know if the discussed Driveshaft Support and Bearing will also fin the Non-SRT Crossfire AKA Limited w/Automatic Tranny? My Mechanic is telling me the entire driveshaft needs to be replaced because there is no support bearing only sold. Would love to know if there is an SLK part or a part only I could buy?

Old 07-15-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by stevedask
Anyone know if the discussed Driveshaft Support and Bearing will also fin the Non-SRT Crossfire AKA Limited w/Automatic Tranny? My Mechanic is telling me the entire driveshaft needs to be replaced because there is no support bearing only sold. Would love to know if there is an SLK part or a part only I could buy?
NeedsWings lists the bearing and support for the NA as well ($99) so your mechanic is wrong, never trust a mechanic these days, they only know how to replace complete units.
That is what they are taught these days, replace and not repair. They make bonus money on parts if they work at a dealership, so they go along with it.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
NeedsWings lists the bearing and support for the NA as well ($99) so your mechanic is wrong, never trust a mechanic these days, they only know how to replace complete units.
That is what they are taught these days, replace and not repair. They make bonus money on parts if they work at a dealership, so they go along with it.
Thanks, It's actually a pretty good mechanic that will work with used parts and encouraages me to bring in my own parts. He's telling me it's less labour to just replace the entire drive shaft and looking at a used one with 60,000km and a hange bearing that is in great condition for $300. I'll ask him for the old Drive shaft back part back and if it's easy enough maybe get the needswing hanger bearing and swap it so I have a spare when the used one goes in a few years.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:58 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I agree with this comment. I really don't consider a "service tech" in any auto shop to be a true "mechanic". These days, they are nothing more than "parts changers" because that's how they are trained. And that goes for even many of the so-called independent shops in an area.

Nearly every repair on a car these days has a standard billable rate. If a service tech can perform 10 billable hours of work in an 8-hr day, then the service department makes that extra income as all profit. So changing parts out is a major driver in their business model.

Later,,

Old 07-18-2016, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
No press required. Remove and replace.
So Mechanic says buy the needswing support & Bearing part and he will put it in but he said he is not sure if he would need to get it sent out to rebuild or if it's a 2 piece driveshaft he says then it can probably be replaced at the shop?

I confirmed it's a 2 piece driveshaft in our cars and I see dinasrt said just you just remove and replace it so is that like a simple 1 hour labour job if I supply the part?

Is this a repair I can do in my driveway with an intermediate auto repair knowledge & tools?

Thanks

Old 07-18-2016, 03:02 PM

Is this a repair I can do in my driveway with an intermediate auto repair knowledge & tools?
YES, if :
You place the car on jack stands on all 4 corners and your driveway doesn't slant enough to make even that dangerous.
You will also need a set of Torx sockets.
Once up on the stands, put it in neutral so you can turn the driveshaft to access all the flex plate bolts.
Also, If it were me, I'd go ahead and replace the flex plates on both ends while I had it up.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:30 PM

Wow - so I can just jack the car up and take off a few bolts -slide out the old part and to replace the support/bearing - for some reason I was envisioning some elobrate drive shaft removal and dissambly that had to take place with worrying about balanceing of the shaft etc.

Assume the flex plates are just removal of a few torx bolts, drop out old plates and put new in as well?

I can definatly manage it if it's that simple. Or at least know that the repair shop should only be charging me about an hour of labour.

So to confirm I don't have to worry about any balancing of the drive shaft or lining anything back up - just slip on the new parts and bolt it back up?

Old 07-18-2016, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by stevedask
Wow - so I can just jack the car up and take off a few bolts -slide out the old part and to replace the support/bearing - for some reason I was envisioning some elobrate drive shaft removal and dissambly that had to take place with worrying about balanceing of the shaft etc.

Assume the flex plates are just removal of a few torx bolts, drop out old plates and put new in as well?

I can definatly manage it if it's that simple. Or at least know that the repair shop should only be charging me about an hour of labour.

So to confirm I don't have to worry about any balancing of the drive shaft or lining anything back up - just slip on the new parts and bolt it back up?
How important it is to have the puller I do not know, but be forewarned the following says one is required.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:43 PM

Yep, but not QUITE that simple.
The manual states that you have to remove the exhaust system, and support the transmission with a jack stand, remove the rear transmission support and the exhaust heat shields.
It also talks about marking the flex plates on both ends so you put it back the same way to "maintain the balance".
I'll step aside at this point, as I have never actually removed my driveshaft, and hopefully someone who has will step up.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Yep, but not QUITE that simple.
The manual states that you have to remove the exhaust system, and support the transmission with a jack stand, remove the rear transmission support and the exhaust heat shields.
It also talks about marking the flex plates on both ends so you put it back the same way to "maintain the balance".
I'll step aside at this point, as I have never actually removed my driveshaft, and hopefully someone who has will step up.
I agree with what you have said above and I think that I personally would not bother to do this job on a driveway. With the puller also being required I think you could soon come to the point where you wish you had not started the job but have to proceed or get the car towed to a shop.
Steve read the section in the Service Manual and maybe your mind will be made up for you, removing the exhaust is enough problem in itself with the limited room available under the car on stands.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:27 AM

Yes agreed, I'll just get the part and give to the shop to install and save the headaches. The part on Needswings actually specifically says it doesn't need to be pressed in but I guess it;s the removal of the old part that needs the puller. Thanks for all of the advice from forum members on this.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goykgo
Hi guys
I need a drive shaft center support ( maybe called hang bearing?)
for 2004 crossfire auto

Please help me finding the part or let me know if you have one.

Thanks,
goykgo@gmail.com

I just had the carrier bearing replaced on my 2006 Crossfire and it eliminated the shaft thumping on the tunnel and significantly reduced driveline noise at highway speed. I purchased the replacement bearing for $30 and labor to replace it was $175. The shop was able to pull the driveshaft without dropping the exhaust. They stated the job was simple and straight forward however a rack is required to do the job.

The following users liked this post:
mauricestoney (11-23-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
I agree with this comment. I really don't consider a "service tech" in any auto shop to be a true "mechanic". These days, they are nothing more than "parts changers" because that's how they are trained. And that goes for even many of the so-called independent shops in an area.

Nearly every repair on a car these days has a standard billable rate. If a service tech can perform 10 billable hours of work in an 8-hr day, then the service department makes that extra income as all profit. So changing parts out is a major driver in their business model.

Later,,
you couldn't be more exact