Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Start Here for Stereo Install Questions

Old 01-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Start Here for Stereo Install Questions

This section of the Crossfire forum contains information about dealing with factory and aftermarket stereo systems in Crossfires.

The forum is oriented toward questions about Crossfires so questions about the factory stereo systems definitely have a place here.

Aftermarket stereo system questions are more oriented towards the particular make a model of system than the Crossfire. But it is recognized that questions about "will this aftermarket system work in the Crossfire?" are relevant. Also questions about what the Crossfire connections at the head unit harness connector, antenna and at the factory amplifier.

At the most basic level, most DIN1 head units on the market today can be installed in the Chrysler Crossfire with very little trouble, and utilize the factory amplifier and speakers. The following considerations should be taken to make the selection of an aftermarket head unit and installation as painless as possible.

Questions about aftermarket head units go to the particular head unit in question and are not specifically related to Crossfires. Here are tips for getting those questions specific to a particular aftermarket head unit answered properly:
1. Download the aftermarket head unit owners and installation manuals AND GET THE CROSSFIRE FACTORY SERVICE and FACTORY STEREO MANUALS (Direct Link to Service Manual Click) (Direct Link to Navigation Stereo Install - has general install info useful for aftermarket head unit installations - Click)
2. Determine if you need a harness adapter or not (VW-01B) using the aftermarket head unit installation manual.
3. Determine if you need an antenna adapter or not (Euro female to Motorola male) using the aftermarket head unit installation manual.
4. Decide if you plan to use the factory amp and speakers (plug and play aftermarket head unit with considerations 1-3 taken into account) OR
5. Decide if you plan to bypass the factory amp and speakers.

Download the Aftermaket Head Unit Factory Owners/Installation Manuals
If you have questions about aftermarket head units, here are some things that should get you going with the very best information available.

1. Go to the manufacturer web site, locate the aftermarket head unit or component you are interested in.
2. Check the product page, "Support" or "Downloads" page to see if you can download the factory Owners and/or Installation Manuals.

3. If you don't find the manuals on the Manufacturer page,
a. search for the product on the Crutchfield or Amazon sites. These sites very often have downloadable versions of the manuals.
b. Search the internet using Google or Yahoo using the exact name of the aftermarket unit you are seeking info about - for example "Pioneer DEH-P980BT" will bring up the manufacturer site (Pioneer) and several hits on the model number. Adding "Manual" to this type of search will often get you to the page with the manual to download. Don't be in a hurry to get the manual by paying - most of the manuals are on the internet somewhere for free.

Determine need for Harness Adapter
Once you find the manual, go into the installation section and check for a page that shows the harness diagram. Since most car stereo manufacturers have standardized the color of the wires used for common connections, you can quickly tell if the aftermarket unit you are considering has a compatible connector or whether or not you will need to purchase a harness connector (such as the Schosche VW-01B). Some manufacturers (like Blaupunkt, Becker, other brands found in German cars like Porsche, VW, Audi, Mercedes, etc) may already have the correct socket on the head unit and require no harness adapter. Most of the Asian made units will require the adapter to wire onto your aftermarket head unit to allow plugging into the factory wiring harness.

The following illustrations show the colors and pin assignments for the factory harness plug IN THE CAR. Note that the colors and numbers should be referenced as the socket is a mirror image of the back of the stereo or harness socket you purchase.

Here's the Crossfire Socket Configuration. As previously stated, most major manufacturers used the same colors for same-type connections (EIA Automotive Aftermarket Standard Colors). Here is an example (click). Be sure to confirm this in the aftermarket head unit installation manual so you don't have problems during your installation...

Use this legend for the colors

Antenna Adapter
Look at the aftermarket head unit to determine if you need an antenna adapter to go from the car connection (Euro-style) to USA style:

Once you have determined your harness connector need (adapter or no), antenna adapter need (yes or no) and lined up the wire connections (in the case where you require a harness adapter), you should be able to install the head unit and use the factory amp and speakers.

"Rear' Speaker Connections
Note that the "rear" speaker channel on aftermarket head units does NOT go to the "rear" speakers in Crossfires. The Crossfire factory amp takes only "front" inputs and splits them to the "rear" speakers in the car. To use the rear outputs from the aftermarket head unit, use the "rear" output leads (usually violet and violet/black; green and green/black) for speaker-level outputs and run them directly to your newly added rear speakers. Alternatively you can run the aftermarket head unit pre-amp outputs to a new external amplifier you are installing, and connect your new speakers to the new amp.

"Subwoofer" Speaker Connections
Most aftermarket headunits today offer a subwoofer output. These leads should be connected to a subwoofer that you add to the car with either an integrated or additional amplifier. The factory Crossfire subwoofers (the "rear" speakers behind the seats) can either be left in place and driven by the factory amplifier, or with some wiring "adventure", removed or replaced.

Last edited by ppro; 01-24-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Start Here for Stereo Install Questions

Great writeup and summary. Here are some other points that I've come up with in the past few weeks since I've become a Crossfire owner and been researching info about this.

- The Factory Amp (located under the floor at the front of the Passenger side) contains components and wiring that don't appear to be related to the stereo, so you cannot simply replace the factory amp with an aftermarket amp. The system schematic shows wires for "Body control module" and "Controller Antilock Brake" going into the factory amp.

- The Rear speakers appear to be 6 3/4" dual voice coil subwoofers. I haven't seen any specs on them, but some posts here suggest that each coil is 2 ohms and the factory amp provides 35 watts per coil (70 watts per subwoofer). With an aftermarket amp, you can wire each coil in series for a 4 ohm load, or supply each 2 ohm coil with a powered channel from the amp like the factory system does.

- The factory amp is pretty expensive. I haven't been able to find any on eBay, and a new one is close to $500 from a dealer. It is actually a 6 channel amp. Each side has a channel for the front door speakers, and then 2 channels for each of the voice coils in the rear subwoofer for that side.

I'm troubleshooting a problem with my new 2005 limited roadster. I get no audio to the right side (either door or rear speaker). I've verified that the factory head unit is outputting DC on the right side, and that probably means that the right channels on the factory amp are fried as well (although I haven't been able to verify this yet). So I'm trying to come up with the most cost effective solution to replacing my head unit, likely needing to bypass the factory amp because it is fried, and keeping the front and rear factory speakers to keep costs down. It seems that sending only 18 - 25 Watts to both coils in those back speakers from the rear channels of a new head unit would be significantly underpowered compared to the 35 Watts each coil is receiving from the factory amp. So that would mean adding an after market 2 or 4 channel amp, which I know nothing about installing and would add more cost into getting my system working properly.