Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Cup holder will not stay down

Old 08-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cup holder will not stay down

I know this is a much discussed topic the "cup holder" and I have checked out others posting. Mine has quit latching back down. Latching may be the wrong word but there must be something that it catches on. I would think that there must be something to adjust in it. I am not interested in duct taping it down.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Cup holder will not stay down

it will need replaced under warranty... most likely a broken latch/catch clip.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:26 AM

The exact same thing happened to mine and it had to be replaced. However when they replaced it they installed the '04 glossy finish one on my '05 matte finish so make sure you bring that up to them before they replace it.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:06 PM

This has happened to me too.
Is it in my best interest to call and make an appointment for something like this?

Old 08-05-2006, 01:59 PM

It all depends if you're dealer is on an appt basis. See the dealer i go to they know me from all my XFire purchases there so i usually don't make an appt. I just call ahead that i'm bringing in the car and just come in and drop off and they give me a loaner. However i do advise to call them up before and let them know what you need to make sure if it's in stock and if so if its the correct finish on it.

Old 08-05-2006, 03:52 PM

With the manual transmission, I found the cup holder more than useless. There is a TSB that will allow you to replace the cup holder with a small storage bin. I never used the cup holder, but the storage bin has been very useful.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by RickB
With the manual transmission, I found the cup holder more than useless. There is a TSB that will allow you to replace the cup holder with a small storage bin. I never used the cup holder, but the storage bin has been very useful.
That cup holder held a full 32 oz drink without spilling a drop through a 20 mph crash in my car... The sheer inertia of the drink at that speed broke the cup holder though, but hey, no spillage to further ruin an already awful day is fine by me...

Old 08-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Forum Regular

If my cup holder broke I would want another. I agree its placement was clearly an after thought and not the best spot but it works great and is better than nothing. Remember in Europe they get in cars to drive, nothing else. It is we American's that want cup holders, they almost resent it. So I guess the compromise was one misplaced cup holder.

Old 08-06-2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by jpristel
That cup holder held a full 32 oz drink without spilling a drop through a 20 mph crash in my car... The sheer inertia of the drink at that speed broke the cup holder though, but hey, no spillage to further ruin an already awful day is fine by me...
I assume you have an automatic. With the manual transmission, every other shift put my elbow into the cup holder. I only used it once, but the passenger was getting tired of picking up the cup. I now use a "clip on holder" on the side window where its out of the way.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Cool Re: Cup holder will not stay down

Just like in golf alter your shift plane keep your elbow at your side! I don't have a problem with my manual shift and the cup holder unless I reach over and grab some part of my wife.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:15 PM

Hey guys, here is one quick fix...the cupholder works great (at least on my 20 oz Steel coffee monster). The annoying trait is that it pops up into position with the ever so slightest tap...want to keep that bugger down in the hole 'till ya need it?...Well, then, if you disassemble the console (cupholder mounts from underside), you can remove the spring that loads it to the "use" position (small spring coil with wings at 90 degrees). Then you have to "manually" (oh, the agony!) press the rear of the top silver part, and it will lock into position just like always (extend spring and latch are separate mechanisms). Makes the damn thing much easier to live with. I did discover you can do this mod without removing console - the cupholder itself will pop out of housing if you pry it out just so...best regards...ct

Last edited by ctsemicon; 08-11-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:13 AM

Thank you ctsemicon that was the info I was interested in. I am sure it isn't broken and going to the dealer and give them the opportunity to screw something up isn't something I want to do unless it is the last resort. I have a feeling it is something that can be adjusted. I have owned several British sports cars - always something to fix or adjust. Builds character.

Thanks again.