Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

HELP!!! SOS. I am stuck!!!

Old 10-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP!!! SOS. I am stuck!!!

Hi. I was working on my latest project this afternoon. I have replaced my base coupe's cloth seats with SLK's leather/heated seats. I found that I had the pre-wiring ready for the heated seats. Great. I finished re-wiring and installed my last bolt on the seat. I got behind the wheel and turn the key and got click, click, click. I figured low battery.
I had the radio on the whole time I was working on the car. I say about 2 hours. Therefore, I tried the good old jumper cable. I connected the two cars and turned the key and same thing. I go and wiggle the cable on XF's side and it seem like the juice was not coming. Usual sparks when connecting the negative to the battery. So I disconnected the cable and got back to XF and turned the key. Same click click click but now, the spoiler came up on its own. I tried to bring it back down but the button was not responding. I tried other buttons on the console and none of them seem responding. I got out of the car and hit the remote and that didn't respond. Now I am worried. I think for a moment and got inside the car and turn the car, all seem to be working; lights come on, radio works fine... I hit the remote after turning the key to off position then click the remote works.
I guess I must have screwed something while I was installing the seats, therefore, resetting something. Does anyone know if that is what happened? I will let it sit for about an hour and then try it again. Meanwhile, if anyone knows why this is happening please advise. HELP!!!

Old 10-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP!!! SOS. I am stuck!!!

What happens if you disconnect the seat cables? Does everything start working again?

Old 10-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If that doesn't help, I would do a complete reset. By that I mean disconnect the battery and recharge. A low battery will do funny things with the electronics.

Good luck.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:23 PM

I just got back from trying the same routine second time around. Guess what, it worked. The jump worked, the car started and seemed all things are back to norm. Then strange things started again. As I was driving around to charge the battery, I noticed the air bag light is lit up. A few minutes later seat belt warning came on then the warning beeps started. Hmmmm. I definitely must have screwed up something with the seats. But going back to wiring, everything seemed logical except one thing. Passenger side seat only had 4 wires. 2 for heated seats and 2 for seatbelt. Driver side seats had 6 wires 4 for seatbelt(?) and 2 for heated seats.
Now as I was driving around I felt my A** is being toasted. The heated seat was working. I felt the passenger side, no heat. This is a base coupe which does not have switches for heated seats. That is my next project. To find a set of heated seat switches. Upon arrival, I unplugged the heated seat wires from the seat. It is not supposed to be this difficult. Upstate has given me some tips and said it was pretty easy. Oh well, I am going to try something tomorrow. Does anyone know why passenger seat only has 2 wires to seatbelt and 4 for driver's side?

Old 10-07-2006, 07:45 PM

I'm thinking you found the POWER seat connectors. Both seats in the limited are motorized, with the drivers side having 4 more motors than the passengers. Thats probably why there are more wires there. Some of the wires could even be the air-bag sensors.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:52 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Scaper, I think you're right. The driver's seat is a six way, and the passenger seat is only a 4 way. That's the reason for the other pair of wires.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:25 PM

I am pretty sure I didn't tap into power seat connectors. SLK seat is manual just as my XF seats. the cable that comes from the console or underneath the floor has 4 for passenger and 6 for drivers seat. On both side, there are 2 thicker cables. I identified them as the heated seats cable. The color matches with the ones from the manuals. The confusion part comes from the SLK seats. They have different color cables than ones from XFs. I made the best educated guess by looking at the placement of the pins on the connector...etc. I just can not comprehend how this can effect the airbag sensor. It would make sense to have same amount of wires for each seats since 2 are allocated to the heated seat, 2 for the sensor for the seatbelt, then 2 for the sensor to see if anyone is actually sitting on it. Oh well, since tomorrow is Sunday and supposed to be nice, i'll rip the seats apart one more time. Thank you everyone. For some strange reason, I feel that someone will figure this out.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:28 PM

First pic is from XF and second pic is from SLK seat wiring. Both seats are passenger seat.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1577.JPG (584.6 KB, 41 views)
IMG_1580.JPG (659.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 10-07-2006, 08:56 PM

Long shot... but you may want to post a help question on the SLK forum (R170) at:
http://www.benzworld.org/

I joined this forum and they have been very helpful. Good luck!

Old 10-08-2006, 06:26 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Porterhouse,
Do you have a copy of the schematic diagram for the seat connectors? Its in the pdf version of the service manual on page 646. Here's a screenshot for you:

Attached Images
seats.jpg (47.9 KB, 184 views)
Old 10-08-2006, 10:31 AM

Thank you Bobs. Yes, I do have a copy of the schematic diagrams. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not see any information or diagram on seatbelt wiring. The above diagram is purely on heated seats. I have zero training on reading schematics and not much of a DIY'er. I purely guessed based on descriptions and abbreviations. Wait a second. This gives me an idea. I will go out and check on the fuses. Including airbag fuse. Thanks guys.

Cobra, I think I'll take that advice and ask MB forum.

Here are the useful links for Crossfires that I have on my bookmark. I thought it would be good to share with new Crossfire owners. Maybe we can compile all these links and create a new section for useful links. What do you think Mightyjlr AKA Admin?

http://www.gleamingedge.com/mirrors/...e%20Manual.pdf

http://homepage.mac.com/gregmeach/XFire/

http://www.dfwsbr.com/crossfire/faq/oil/

http://www.slk32.com/pages/gotopages/howto.html

http://www.2ndgendurango.com/extras/06zh.pdf

http://firstbornmultimedia.com/websi.../crossfire.htm

http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/

Old 10-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Forum Regular

Wow, that demo from firstborn is pretty cool. I'd like to get my hands on the full version.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:44 AM

Bobs, PM me with your address. I'll make a copy of the DVD that I have.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Forum Regular

The most important thing to take away from the diagram is that the heater supply wire is black with a grey stripe (BK/GY) on the driver's side and black with a violet stripe (BK/VT) on the passenger side (assuming of course your car is left hand drive). The brown wires are ground/earth/return connections.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:54 PM

I got it. I fixed it and all those warning lights went away. Thanks guys. Don't ask me how I fixed them. I don't know how but they all went away.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:55 PM

Now can anyone tell me where I can purchase the heated seat 2 way switches?

Old 10-09-2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by porterhouse
Now can anyone tell me where I can purchase the heated seat 2 way switches?
Would it not be possible to order them from a dealership by giving them a part number?