Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Went to dealership today about airbag light on dash

Old 06-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to dealership today about airbag light on dash

I took my '07 coupe that I bought brand new in December to the same dealership I bought it from because the airbag light on my dash was on. After about 45 minutes of waiting they call me back and tell me that they are unable to read most of the sensors on the car. They then say that I will need to reschedule when I can leave it with them for a couple of days to figure out the problem. They also have a certified Crossfire mechanic.

I called the mechanic that we take all our other vehicles from who is Crossfire certified but he now runs his own shop, and he said that if they have the correct Crossfire DBRIII card in it should read fine.

I am a little hesitant to take it back to them because it should not take a couple of days to diagnose the problem.

So my question is, should I take it back and let them work on it or try to find a dealership who can? I might be making too much of this but I don't want them to mess it up more. They did, however, offer a loaner car and ordered a new map pocket that broke.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: Went to dealership today about airbag light on dash

They don't give me a warm fuzzy. I'd try another dealer first since it is under warranty. If both come up short, maybe the OBDCII is bad or something.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the light is on then there is a problem. Maybe it has more than one symptom. I would let them check it out as it wont cost anything. Give them the benefit of the doubt. If they cant fix it in a couple days then take it to someone else.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Forum Regular

Was wondering if the map pocket was covered under the warranty. I purchased an 07 crossfire roadster however the map pocket is missing the fasterners to hold it in place. Thanks for any info.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:21 PM

I just had my seatbelt switch replaced a couple weeks ago and it fixed my airbag light. Look there first. When the airbag light comes on it should store the codes but it also took me two trips to my dealership to fix the same problem. The first time they suspected a bad seatbelt switch but did not replace it because they were replacing the entire instrument cluster. You might have a couple different things going on at the same time. Good luck! I feel your pain.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

First, I understand your feelings about leaving your baby with them - totally. I can't stand the thought that someday, I may have to leave my car while some weird problem is driving the service dept. nuts.

HOWEVER... speaking as someone who has earned a living troubleshooting electronics since 1980, I understand how frustrating for the techs it can be to figure out electrical/electronic problems. Add to this the fact that these are electronic/COMPUTER problems and I can see giving them time to work on it.

Don't be too hard on them, I sometimes have systems or products that I look at which take DAYS of thinking about before I "get it". Once in the past year, I woke up one night and it "Hit Me" -- or at least I hoped it did. I drove the 15 miles to the 911 center at 2:30am just cause I could not get to sleep after coming up with a theory. I worked for an hour and had it fixed. Was back home in about 2 1/2 hours.

Came in late the next morning - 'cause I earned it!

Old 08-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Forum Regular

I was dealing with a seriously messed up temp. gauge and was also getting to the point of "How the &*%$ long does it take to find the problem?" I gave the dealer the benefit of the doubt and after a week of the car being @ the dealer, the problem was located, fixed and has been fine ever since. When trouble shooting electronics I think it just takes some time and in this case, patience on the car owners part. I'd wait it out and give them a bit as said earlier. If still no fix, move on to dealer/option B.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s40guy
I was dealing with a seriously messed up temp. gauge and was also getting to the point of "How the &*%$ long does it take to find the problem?" I gave the dealer the benefit of the doubt and after a week of the car being @ the dealer, the problem was located, fixed and has been fine ever since. When trouble shooting electronics I think it just takes some time and in this case, patience on the car owners part. I'd wait it out and give them a bit as said earlier. If still no fix, move on to dealer/option B.
You know, you never updated your thread with the solution to the problem with your temp gauge. It would be great if you would do that, as it might help someone else down the road.

Also, how did things turn out with, I believe it was your mother's SKL320 that was having problems? Again, another thing that would be great to know what the solution was.

BC.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:44 AM

Here is a BIZZARE possible solution to the airbag light. If you leave something lightweight on the passenger seat, under 10-20 pounds, it will trip the airbag sensor if the seat belt is not fastened. No kidding.. I was having the issue over and over and my mechanic.NOT DEALER told me of this issue.. Now I just put whatever in the back or passenger floor and the light never goes on.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:33 PM

Just got mine back from the dealer today. They found a faulted LF seat switch (for the third time) and replaced OCR (SENSOR AIR BAG CONTR) (that didn't show any codes until they replaced the seatbelt switch again). Anyone with an airbag light on may want to look here:

----------------These are part prices from Chrysler Parts Direct - Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep Parts and accessories ---------------------

Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
5099301aa $1,510.00 $0.00 $1,177.80
SENSOR AIR BAG CONTR

Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
5101651aa $122.00 $0.00 $95.16
SEAT BELT BUCKLE HAL

The dealer must be marking these parts way up for warrantee work, the service manager told me cost for parts alone was $1,900. It took a couple weeks for them to figure it out and get parts from national.

It's a good thing I have 7/85 MAXCare - $1,900 parts, $420 for two weeks of rental car, labor - they didn't share that cost? All I paid is my $100 deductible!

Old 12-03-2009, 10:12 PM

Well I finally took the car to another dealership about the airbag light two days ago, since I want everything to be working for my cross-country trip in January (more on that later). They found that the airbag control unit was not sending a signal to the main computer (or something like that) and the entire control unit had to be replaced. He had to remove pretty much all of the console to get to the unit and after the new one was put in he had to flash the ECU to accept the new unit. Good thing it is still under warranty. They gave me a rental car and everything was put back together the way it was. I would recommend Lake Norman Chrysler near Charlotte, NC. Very pleasant to work with and very knowledgeable Crossfire tech. It was nice not to see the airbag light on the dash for the first time in 6 months.