Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor

Old 07-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor

My car: 2004 Limited, 68,500 miles

First off I would like to thank members DanielNTX and xfire2005 as well as all others who contributed to this thread:
Crankshaft Position Sensor

…for following through with their problems for all members to see by posting installation instructions, linking to other relevant forum topics, and posting helpful DIYs with photographs.

This community is a great resource and you would be hard pressed to find another auto forum on the web whose members are more willing to spend time assisting and helping others.

That being said, this thread is about the failure of my Crankshaft Position Sensor. I set up a rudimentary timeline to show you the progression of the problem.

Two weeks ago: I was driving on a local road from my office to lunch at a restaurant about five miles away. I get up to 65 mph on the local thoroughfare and my engine shuts out. At first I don’t realize what happened. All the electricity is still on, the AC is blowing warm air, and all of the dash warning lights are illuminated. However, the throttle is unresponsive and I pull over to the side of the road and flip the hazards.

I sit there on the side of the road for a minute, turn off the car completely, and then attempt to restart the car. It ignites the engine and off I go no problem?? A strange occurrence, but at the time I hoped that it was a one time event. My wishful optimism outweighed my better judgement.

Six days ago: No problems up until this point. I drive to my godmother’s house after work – no problem with the car. After dinner I start up the car and begin to drive home. Sitting at a traffic light about five miles from her house, the car completely dies.

The electricity stays on as before, dash lights, warm AC, headlights, hazards, but no response from the engine. I try to restart the car hoping it will start right back up as it did last time. No go.

IMPORTANT NOTE: When the Crankshaft Position Sensor fails, the electric ignition will turnover, and by that I mean you will hear the electric ignition trying to start the engine (a “chik chik chik” sound), but the engine won’t run. If the electric ignition turns over and the engine runs briefly but sputters out, this is not the Crankshaft Position Sensor failing!

I fiddled under the hood with the battery terminals as angry traffic passed me by. I was completely clueless and worried that the Fire was going to need a serious (and expensive) overhaul.

After fiddling for 10-15 minutes with the engine off and when I was about to give in and call AAA, I gave it one last shot. I tried to restart the car and voila! the engine rumbled to life. I was able to drive home (about six miles) with no problems.

That night in my driveway I tested the ignition several times. The engine turned over everytime.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you find yourself in a similar situation as described above, safely pull over (its even fine to leave your flashers on, they should still work!) and wait for the engine to cool off. When the Crankshaft Position Sensor fails, it is due to temperature. As the engine heats up the Sensor will RANDOMLY fail and shut down causing the engine to stall. Let the engine cool down and restart the engine.

Six Days Ago, Later That Night: As soon as I got home I immediately got on the forum and typed in “engine won’t turnover”. I stumbled across the above thread and was immediately sold that my Crankshaft Position Sensor failed. My problem sounded exactly the same.

Five Days Ago: I searched the Internet the next day for a good price on the Crankshaft Position Sensor. See list below.

Chrysler Parts Direct - Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep Parts and accessories $171.60

several Mercedes parts wholesalers $110.00 average

I called several Chrysler stealerships hoping to get the part immediately for a price reasonably above the wholesale price.

I was quoted between $220 and $250 JUST FOR THE PART!!

No thank you I said.

IMPORTANT NOTE: After Googling SLK320 Crankshaft Position Sensor I found the legitimate BOSCH replacement part…
Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

$42.96! I paid $20.00 for express shipping and had the part in two days.

(Update 3/14/12) PLEASE BE ADVISED: Recent input from forum members indicates that only a genuine OEM Bosch replacement CPS should be used. Individuals have used aftermarket brands of the CPS with mixed result (e.g. short life span, immediate failure).

Even the Autohaus Arizona (the company I ordered from) was fooled by the trickery of the Chrysler Crossfire’s origins. I order the Crankshaft Position Sensor for a 2004 SLK320 and received the OEM Bosch part for just $42.96. However if you search for a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire Crankshaft Position Sensor you will come up with a Vemo brand replica part for $62. (However I just looked and there is no longer any part available for the Crossfire).

Two Days Ago: I installed the Crankshaft Position Sensor this past weekend. It should have taken me twenty minutes with the right tools. However, it took me four hours of driving around picking up the proper socket.

Tools you will need:

Shop lamp or flashlight (this will seriously decrease time spent trying to find the bolt on the sensor)
¼ 12 pt. or ‘star’ socket. (Update 12/13/2013: PLEASE BE ADVISED: Recent input from forum members indicates that a regular ¼ 6 pt. socket may actually work better. I can't say this from experience but other forum members have had success without the 12 pt. socket. I note this since it will likely save many from a trip to Sears and spending money on a specialized socket not found in your average toolkit.)
An 8 inch or longer rachet or socket screwdriver (I bought an extension for my ratchet set to reach down to the bolt)
New Crankshaft Position Sensor
Straight Needle-nose pliers (to pull out and insert the old/new sensor)

1) Lift off the engine cover (just pull up in the corners and at the sides)

2) I placed my shop lamp on the ledge that is positioned at the base of the windshield. It is where the vents for the AC unit are.

3) See the pictures here:

from where the Sensor is located in the read of the engine.

4) First you must remove the electrical plug. On the upside of the sensor there is a clip. I spent 20 minutes trying to unclip this from the wrong end… There is a lip on the clip that is closest to the plug on the Sensor. Run your finger to the opposite end away from that lip and press down HARD with your pointer finger. Simultaneously pull up on the lip of the clip with your thumb. If you press down hard enough the lip should pop up enough for you to pull it free.

5) Once you free the clip the electrical plug should be loose. Pull it out and push it and the wire to the side.

6) Now use the ¼ 12 pt. socket and the extended ratchet or screwdriver to undo the bolt. The bolt is on the lower side of the sensor. Without a light its almost impossible to see as the angle is bad. Use the ratchet to initially loosen the bolt. Use the screwdriver to remove the bolt. Be careful not to bump the screwdriver on anything as you pull it out with the bolt still loosely in the socket. The screw could easily fall into the abyss of the engine bay.

7) Use the straight needle-nose pliers to clamp on the side of the old Sensor and pull out. Change direction of the pressure (up-down, left-right) until the Sensor slides out.

8) Hold the NEW Sensor with the pliers and reinsert it into the hole where the old part was.

9) Place the screw back in the way it came out, making sure not to bump into anything with the wrench on the way down as the screw will pop out and fall. I ended up placing the screw in the hole in the sensor as I inserted the sensor so that it was positioned correctly over the bolt hole.

10) Plug in the electrical plug. PUSH DOWN HARD. If you don’t push down hard enough it may feel like the plug is in all the way but it is not. Feel the clip you unclipped earlier clip to be sure its in all the way.

11) Test the engine before you close up the engine cover! If the engine clicks and dies (which it did for me – ouch) you didn’t press the electrical plug back into the sensor firmly enough. Do this and the car will work like a charm.

So far no problems! Its only been a few days but I will follow up on this thread if anything changes!

If it hadn’t been for the CrossfireForum I would have spent untold money and time trying to get the car serviced at a dealership. And even then it is unlikely I would have gotten down to this solution.

I hope this DIY can help someone who is an amateur mechanic like myself do this repair themselves!

Best of luck and enjoy.

Last edited by beasticles; 12-13-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: photo link posted
The following 3 users liked this post by beasticles:
BrushRoadster! (04-26-2022), GrooveVampire (07-02-2021), John Drew (04-21-2022)
Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor

I think you have used improper terms in your proceedure. I am sure your engine will "turn over" even with a bad cranksensor, it just won't fire the plugs and injectors to let the engine run. Your starter is what "turns the engine over". A defective cranksensor will not allow the engine to run.

James

Old 07-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor

Noted. Changes made. I was unsure of the exact terminology.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sen

This is the BEST car owners' forum on the net, regardless of make/model!

I bought my 2004 Blaze Red Xfire about a month ago. So far -- thanks to this forum -- I have made the following modifications:
1) Added the "keyless entry" chirp with a $4.00 part from Radio Shack
2) Replaced the cabin air filter (previous owner was a smoker - odor gone!)
3) Replaced both air intake filters with K&N performance filters
4) Swapped OEM brake pads for Rotex Gold pads (virtually NO brake dust!)
5) Added carbon fiber under the spoiler with AMG badging
6) Disconnected faulty seatbelt warning sensor (no more beep!)
7) Debadged all Chrysler logos (controversial, but I likey!)
8) Found "hidden" coin holder
9) Check for toe/camber in rear wheels for excessive wear
10) Reset service interval indicator
11) Reset throttle response memory
12) Repaired rust in door weather stripping with One Step primer/sealer
13) Learned to LOVE my Xfire!!!

This forum rocks. Everyone treats newbies with TLC and we care about our common Xfire fan.

Kudos to you -- all of you!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by NYPD-Crossfire:
BrushRoadster! (04-26-2022), GrooveVampire (07-02-2021)
Old 07-21-2009, 05:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write-up! Excellent explanation start to finish. Very informative. I went through a similar situation. I found my sensor at O'reilly parts. The part was listed as BWD brand but, when I took it out of the box it was Bosch (not really a suprise, many companies "rebrand" parts). I had them do a price match to Advance auto parts at $56. I was also lucky enough to get a lifetime warranty on this problematic part (i just hope they have one when i need it again). My installation was essentially identical to yours.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:05 AM

Beautiful write-up! Mine cut out for the first time in rush hour at 75 mph. Felt pretty luckey to get over 3 lanes and onto the sholder using just the momentum he had left!!

Ordering the part today...will have my son install it next week-end. I might ruin my manicure!

Thanks for sharing all the details! You are a life-saver!

Cat

Old 07-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Forum Regular

No problem! And yes you were lucky to have gotten to the shoulder in rush hour traffic, especially considering the power steering kicks out the sensor fails.

Also, you may want to check your battery's negative terminal connection as well. I did not have the negative terminal tightened correctly and some corrosion had formed which was preventing the battery from getting a good connection... in other words my car wouldn't start after it turned off.

The battery corrosion is a totally separate problem from the Crankshaft Position Sensor, however, it just so happened in my case that the CPS pointed me to another problem, the battery corrosion.

Good luck!

Last edited by beasticles; 07-27-2009 at 09:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BrushRoadster! (04-26-2022)
Old 07-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Talking Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor

Thanks ,i now carry a spare cps in Glove box $50.94 total cost !

Old 07-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts
Default Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sen

Originally Posted by NYPD-Crossfire
I'll say. Post #1 wins my "Pizza's post of the day award"!

Good info, good descriptions of parts/sources/repair, --- something I'll remember. (Even tho my 2005 has only 15,000 miles and a lot of engine warranty left..)

Old 07-27-2009, 12:47 PM

Thanks for a great post mrobinso, I just ordered a spare from autohausaz.com today. From what I've read when this part fails it will not set any fault codes, the computer can't see the flywheel trigger points, and does not know when to fire spark plugs or injectors. The whole motor just shuts down. It typically only occurs when vehicle is hot, and the vehicle will restart after is cools. With the failure being so random and without warning, what do you guys recommend for replacement. I've got about 55k on my 04 Limited now and would hate to be stranded unexpectedly.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Crossfire

6) Disconnected faulty seatbelt warning sensor (no more beep!)

Good lord man how?!?!

Every time I pull into my parking garage I have to take my seat belt off to hit the button to open the doors and then I drive in with that damned beeping for two levels. I've actually stopped and shut the car ff before i was so annoying (yes I relazie I could jst put the belt back on)000.

How do I get that gone???

Old 08-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

[quote=mrobinso]My car: 2004 Limited, 68,500 miles

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you find yourself in a similar situation as described above, safely pull over (its even fine to leave your flashers on, they should still work!) and wait for the engine to cool off. When the Crankshaft Position Sensor fails, it is due to temperature. As the engine heats up the Sensor will RANDOMLY fail and shut down causing the engine to stall. Let the engine cool down and restart the engine.
quote]
If you sit and wait for this sensor to work you may be in for a long wait. I have had them go and they never come back to life, kaput, gonzo, bye bye. Maybe sometimes they do work intermittently but not any of mine.
To say they failed because they got hot is not true at all, they work in an area that gets hot so they should work all the time at that temperature. You had it work for a week, it got hot then and did not fail. It failed because it had a weakness in it. The heat may have made the weakness more pronounced but it did not cause the weakness, big difference.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-07-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 PM

Whew! Replaced the crankshaft sensor and all is well now. Thanks to everyone on this amazing forum for the advice and insight whenever I need it for my dear little car!!!!

Old 09-22-2009, 01:25 PM

Thank you for making this very informative post.

This forum has been a great resource, granted I just lurk and find my information usually.

The wife's crossfire did this two weeks ago. I checked over the car and could find nothing, so I wrote it off as a random fluke, maybe she did something when driving I didn't know. But it happened to her on her drive to work again today.

So, now I am in trouble for not fixing it the first time. haha

But thank you for doing the leg work I am more than certain this is the same issue she has been experiencing. Each time I've gotten to her the car will fire up just fine so I really have not been able to help diagnose anything, it always worked. haha

Thank you,
-John

Old 09-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by H82BL8
Thanks for a great post mrobinso, I just ordered a spare from autohausaz.com today. From what I've read when this part fails it will not set any fault codes, the computer can't see the flywheel trigger points, and does not know when to fire spark plugs or injectors. The whole motor just shuts down. It typically only occurs when vehicle is hot, and the vehicle will restart after is cools. With the failure being so random and without warning, what do you guys recommend for replacement. I've got about 55k on my 04 Limited now and would hate to be stranded unexpectedly.
From what I have read here... I have only 16K on mine and already ordered a spare. I'd guess, again, based on what people here have said, that anything past about 40,000 to 50,000 miles is "borrowed time".

Now, sure, there are probably 1,000's of XF's that go past that without a problem, but why not tackle a known issue BEFORE it bites you in heavy traffic far from home?

I'll carry mine around and, if by 40,000 it doesn't fail, I'll change it anyway and order ANOTHER spare.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Talking Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor

I also carry a spare sensor, with tools to replace it. i also carry a spare fuel pump relay board. Most our trips are 1000 miles are more, and i do not want to get stranded ,because the parts are not quickly available.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by texas t
I also carry a spare sensor, with tools to replace it. i also carry a spare fuel pump relay board. Most our trips are 1000 miles are more, and i do not want to get stranded ,because the parts are not quickly available.
You are speaking about the Relay Control Module correct?

Old 09-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Just order two of the Crank Position Sensors at the link provided above.
They are currently on sale with free shipping for $40.81 each.
Limited availability.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:34 PM

04 SLK Crank Sensor works on 05+ right?

Old 09-22-2009, 06:50 PM

The sensor on my 2004 went out on my test drive. Resulted in the dealer repairing it and taking the price down a few notches.

Quick Reply: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor