Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Burning rubber smell

Old 08-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Burning rubber smell

Originally Posted by MikeR
You can drive it with no worries. The gasket is an RTV like material and they will pull the small cover, clean it all off, re-apply new gasket material and bolt it back on. After a few hours it is as good as new (or better). You should check the one on the passenger side also. It may have a slow/small leak also.
Thank you. What is that part called bolted down to the valve cover and holding the oil cap on? Just so I can reference it to the dealer?

Can someone please answer my question? Also, is this "RTV" material you are referring to readily available at the dealership or will I need to bring the car back?

Last edited by IMPERIAL4EVER; 08-09-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by MikeR
You can drive it with no worries. The gasket is an RTV like material and they will pull the small cover, clean it all off, re-apply new gasket material and bolt it back on. After a few hours it is as good as new (or better). You should check the one on the passenger side also. It may have a slow/small leak also.
Good morning everyone. Just got back from the dealership. Good news in that the oil leak was diagnosed as a head gasket oil leak and corrected by torque to specification-left side. The gasket was not changed so I guess it was not necessary.

The bad news is my Xfire did not pass the emissions part of the inspection because the car doesn't have enough miles I was told to drive it about 50 miles with a combo of highway and stop-and go and bring it back.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imperial4ever,
Did you have any oil drops on the ground? Where is the valve cover anyway? I need a diagram... I have noticed very faint burnt smell once last week and again this week, only when cold started the XF and when I have driven a hundred yards or so. Both times, the smell went away after a minute or so of driving. I wonder if I have the same problem. Mine is also an 08.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:37 AM

my car does the same itsan o8 the pearl blue color just turned 5200 miles i love it

Old 08-18-2009, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by BlazingSaddle
Imperial4ever,
Did you have any oil drops on the ground? Where is the valve cover anyway? I need a diagram... I have noticed very faint burnt smell once last week and again this week, only when cold started the XF and when I have driven a hundred yards or so. Both times, the smell went away after a minute or so of driving. I wonder if I have the same problem. Mine is also an 08.
Thankfully, no oil on the ground. I do not have a diagram. The valve cover lies underneath the engine cover. The burning smell went away after a few miles most likely because the oil has burned off of the manifold. The best thing would be to take it in the dealership.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by IMPERIAL4EVER
Thankfully, no oil on the ground. I do not have a diagram. The valve cover lies underneath the engine cover. The burning smell went away after a few miles most likely because the oil has burned off of the manifold. The best thing would be to take it in the dealership.
Well it looks like I'll be going back to the dealership. I STILL see oil seeping from this contraption sitting on top of the valve cover where the oil cap screws on to. Afraid to drive it so it will continue to sit in the garage until I can get another day off to bring it back again.

btw: Anyone interested in purchasing a 2008 Crossfire with 250 miles on it and never been rained on or driven on wet/salt covered roads? Will sell it for what I paid $22,500.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:39 AM
Thumbs up Re: Burning rubber smell

This post is a bit old but just in case anyone comes along
in the future, I would like to add that I also had the
burning rubber / Plastic smell from under the hood
or the front vent. When Idle or parked after a trip
and it was in fact a valve cover gasket fix.
The oil would leak and burn off causing the smell

I would even get a small amount of smoke visible best at night
and by illuminating slowly with a flashlight around or under the spark plug area the smell is pretty strong you cant really miss it.

The problem can either be on the passenger side or driver side each side needs a gasket and they are both different size / shape
in my case it was the passenger side. So I only needed to replace
the passenger side

The gasket for the passenger side was about 20$ got it online and my mechanic charged me 55$ to replace it, it took about 30 min, . No problems no stinky smell either after fix all was fine

Good luck!