Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

wife's b-day present

Old 05-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wife's b-day present

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Marco from So Cal. My screen name is glockster because, well, I like glock pistols. Have 4 to be exact and I have put myself thru the glock armorers school way back when they first came out. I have been thru 2 harleys, a BMW motorcycle and 3 Jeep Wranglers in the past 5 years so when my wife showed interest in a crossfire I had to do the right thing. With her b-day right around the corner the timing was perfect.

Last thursday I flew into Dallas/ Ft. Worth airport and then hitched a ride to Bonham Texas to pick up my wife's new car. An 07' crossfire showing 1509 miles on her. With 4 months of factory 3/36,000 mi warranty left on her and such low mileage I couldn't pass it up. This dealer has 35 of them.

100_1074.jpg

Here she is amongst the other 30-35 crossfires they have on their lot.

100_1075.jpg

Gas stop in Amarillo, Tx.

100_1089.jpg

I drove straight thru from Childress, Tx. to Chino Ca. in 17 hours. 1150 miles, not including the 250 mi I did thursday night. Total of 1400 miles. Quite a test drive huh?

The TPMS light was on the whole way. Checked air pressure a couple times so that needs to be fixed. With cruise control set at 80-85mph the whole time I averaged 24.8 mpg. The car does have some annoying quirks but it's the wife's car and so her problems not mine.

-Who decided to put the cruise control stalk where the turn signal should be?

-I somehow managed to lock the doors while filling up with gas. I had the key in my pocket but it took a few minutes to figure out why the gas door wouldn't latch.

- I'm not a fan of the throttle by wire crap, too much delay.

- What's up with no spare tire? This was a big concern with my 1400 mile commute home.

- why is there a clock on the dash and in the GPS radio?

- cup holder......enough said.

- not sure I like the rear spoiler being auto up and down, think I'd rather be in control.

I have to give a shout out to Bonham Chrysler,Dodge/Jeep. They are a steller outfit, first class in everyway. They picked me up at the airport and went out of their way to satisfy. When I went across the street to air up the tires for the drive home, I noticed a bubble in the sidewall of the pass. rear tire. Facing the 1400 mile drive home I decided to test them and their pledge of customer service at all cost. I pulled back on to the dealership lot and seeked out my sales guy. Long story short, they pulled the rear wheel/tire off another low mileage XF and had me on my way in 1 hour. They did not charge a penny. They also changed the oil/filter for me prior to my arrival.

I must say you XF owners have stumbled on to something here. I love HER car. I fear my jeep rubicon may sit a little more now than before the purchase. It is quick enough for my 49 year old bones (remember I drive a lifted rubicon) it is much more comfortable than I thought it would be and the quality of construction is readily evident.

I think she made a great choice.

FYI....how did she decide she liked crossfires you ask? Her mother has one. Her mother broke her wrist on x-mas eve and has not been able to drive it. Everytime we go visit, my wife takes it for a drive to keep the battery charged. She came back from a drive 3 weeks ago and said she was ready for her own.

That was all I needed to hear.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: wife's b-day present

Originally Posted by glockster
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Marco from So Cal. My screen name is glockster because, well, I like glock pistols. Have 4 to be exact and I have put myself thru the glock armorers school way back when they first came out. I have been thru 2 harleys, a BMW motorcycle and 3 Jeep Wranglers in the past 5 years so when my wife showed interest in a crossfire I had to do the right thing. With her b-day right around the corner the timing was perfect.

Last thursday I flew into Dallas/ Ft. Worth airport and then hitched a ride to Bonham Texas to pick up my wife's new car. An 07' crossfire showing 1509 miles on her. With 4 months of factory 3/36,000 mi warranty left on her and such low mileage I couldn't pass it up. This dealer has 35 of them.

Here she is amongst the other 30-35 crossfires they have on their lot.

Gas stop in Amarillo, Tx.

I drove straight thru from Childress, Tx. to Chino Ca. in 17 hours. 1150 miles, not including the 250 mi I did thursday night. Total of 1400 miles. Quite a test drive huh?

The TPMS light was on the whole way. Checked air pressure a couple times so that needs to be fixed. With cruise control set at 80-85mph the whole time I averaged 24.8 mpg. The car does have some annoying quirks but it's the wife's car and so her problems not mine.

-Who decided to put the cruise control stalk where the turn signal should be?

-I somehow managed to lock the doors while filling up with gas. I had the key in my pocket but it took a few minutes to figure out why the gas door wouldn't latch.

- I'm not a fan of the throttle by wire crap, too much delay.

- What's up with no spare tire? This was a big concern with my 1400 mile commute home.

- why is there a clock on the dash and in the GPS radio?

- cup holder......enough said.

- not sure I like the rear spoiler being auto up and down, think I'd rather be in control.

I have to give a shout out to Bonham Chrysler,Dodge/Jeep. They are a steller outfit, first class in everyway. They picked me up at the airport and went out of their way to satisfy. When I went across the street to air up the tires for the drive home, I noticed a bubble in the sidewall of the pass. rear tire. Facing the 1400 mile drive home I decided to test them and their pledge of customer service at all cost. I pulled back on to the dealership lot and seeked out my sales guy. Long story short, they pulled the rear wheel/tire off another low mileage XF and had me on my way in 1 hour. They did not charge a penny. They also changed the oil/filter for me prior to my arrival.

I must say you XF owners have stumbled on to something here. I love HER car. I fear my jeep rubicon may sit a little more now than before the purchase. It is quick enough for my 49 year old bones (remember I drive a lifted rubicon) it is much more comfortable than I thought it would be and the quality of construction is readily evident.

I think she made a great choice.

FYI....how did she decide she liked crossfires you ask? Her mother has one. Her mother broke her wrist on x-mas eve and has not been able to drive it. Everytime we go visit, my wife takes it for a drive to keep the battery charged. She came back from a drive 3 weeks ago and said she was ready for her own.

That was all I needed to hear.
Here goes Glockster...since I was the first to carry a Glock in my county, a 17 at the time, I now have carried my 23 for nearly 20 yrs, no malfunction...not true for the XF though...I can give you a little help with most everything but the cupholder, although you can exchange it for coin holder/flat little pocket...there is a piece of hardware called a sprint booster, kind of expensive for what it is, but it works...its changes the voltage on the throttle in a way to open the throttle body a lot quicker...plugs in line with the throttle wire, the cruise control is what it is, you will get use to it...I know the spoiler has a manuel over-ride others can tell you more about that...the is a lot of info on this site, just use that old search feature up above...and ask away...welcome aboard, and I have owned over 30 jeeps in my life, love them as much as the sports cars I have had

Old 05-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Forum Regular

if i may ask how much did u spend

Old 05-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum Glocster. Nice ride.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by rvd4now
if i may ask how much did u spend
No, you may not ask........ I kid.

$16,995 - a steal, considering she had wanted a G37 coupe at 40K.

Last edited by glockster; 06-01-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:39 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Marco from So Cal. My screen name is glockster because, well, I like glock pistols. Have 4 to be exact and I have put myself thru the glock armorers school way back when they first came out.
Shame you didn't get a Kimber... much more accurate and classy...

You did buy a nice car for your wife and picked the perfect color..

Enjoy...

Old 05-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. You will grow to love the car. There are a few little quirks, but they are minor compared to the "perma-grin" that you and you wife will have driving the car.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:00 AM

Here's a funny coincidence. I bought a Crossfire for my wife last week. But I didn't tell her about it. I just lit out at 4 am with my brother the 350 or so miles to inspect/buy a little-old-lady-owned 35K mile car. It was near perfect, not super clean and possibly *never* waxed but I've rectified that with claybar and Xymol. By the time I got home at 6pm she was waaay pi$$ed at me. Something to the effect of "I love my Denali" "I don't need another car" "We could put the $$ into the house" blah balh blah. I( was *almost* on the couch for the first couple days. We 'talked' about it and I agreed to keep her involved in major decisions like this yadda yadda. The SRT sat for a week while I was waiting for the ice to thaw, then I noticed it had moved one day She has driven it every day since then Can you belive she said she wouldn't mind 'a little more oomph' So needwings and Inmotion it is.

Glockster, I LOVED my 40 cal 23C Glock til I fired my buddies 40 XD. Makes the Glock seem like a dinosaur

Since you are local, you ever heard of Cars& Coffee at the Irvine Spectrum? I'll be there at 6:30 am in the wifeys Crossfire, I'd be glad to park with another

Mike

Old 05-29-2010, 01:15 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Glockster, congrats on your new ride and welcome to the family. Be safe and enjoy the new ride.

MrSix, I felt the same way after I bought my XD40. Put the 22 in the drawer and have only shot it a few times since... Namely just to give myself a good reason to clean it. LOL I thought I would miss the compensation but you don't even notice it's not there with the XD.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the club.... and a very nice Aero Blue....

...I'll keep the Sig229 and the Detonics...

Old 06-05-2010, 07:38 PM

Those of us fortunate enough to live in California get to deal with stiff emissions regulations that tend to take the fun out of serious modifications.

I took our new x-fire to have it smogged last night, a requirement for getting California title and registration on an out of state car. A few minutes go by and the tech comes in and says he can't get the rear tires to spin more than 20 mph on the chassis dyno rollers. WTF? Instant fail and he says take it to the dealer.

I went home & started reading the owners manual and found out about the ESA defeat switch. Went back to the same shop this morning, told the tech where the switch was and it passed easily. Only problem was the ABS light and BAS/ESP lights were on when I got back inside. They fortunately reset themselves once I got up to about 10-15 mph. The rear spoiler was also all the way up with the light flashing in the switch. Seems the crossfire didn't like the emissions test so much.

My wife has not driven her Tahoe since I got back from Texas with the crossfire.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:58 PM

LOVE the color

Old 06-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You bought the right color and at the right price ,,congrats to your wife

Old 06-05-2010, 09:46 PM

you rich guys and your kimbers....lol....remember, mine is just a tool in the toolbox....lol

Old 06-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those of us fortunate enough to live in California get to deal with stiff emissions regulations that tend to take the fun out of serious modifications.

I took our new x-fire to have it smogged last night, a requirement for getting California title and registration on an out of state car. A few minutes go by and the tech comes in and says he can't get the rear tires to spin more than 20 mph on the chassis dyno rollers. WTF? Instant fail and he says take it to the dealer.

I went home & started reading the owners manual and found out about the ESA defeat switch. Went back to the same shop this morning, told the tech where the switch was and it passed easily. Only problem was the ABS light and BAS/ESP lights were on when I got back inside. They fortunately reset themselves once I got up to about 10-15 mph. The rear spoiler was also all the way up with the light flashing in the switch. Seems the crossfire didn't like the emissions test so much.

My wife has not driven her Tahoe since I got back from Texas with the crossfire.
Smog test! That is why I happily don't live in CA! Just another excuse for the state to take more of your money. Even when they find a million ways to take your money they are still bankrupt.

Great car. Congrats

Old 06-06-2010, 01:32 AM

Ya know, it's funny. I used to think it was all about increased revenue for the state but the fact is it only cost me $37 for the emissions test and that includes $8 for the certificate. The smog lab gets some, the technician gets some and I'm sure the state gets some but I doubt it's really that much. Of course when you figure in the millions of vehicles 1976 and newer registered in California it's surely in the $$$$$$. Plus now we (republik of kalifornia) are smogging diesel pick up trucks.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:12 AM

Ya know, it's funny. I used to think it was all about increased revenue for the state but the fact is it only cost me $37 for the emissions test and that includes $8 for the certificate. The smog lab gets some, the technician gets some and I'm sure the state gets some but I doubt it's really that much. Of course when you figure in the millions of vehicles 1976 and newer registered in California it's surely in the $$$$$$. Plus now we (republik of kalifornia) are smogging diesel pick up trucks.

Yeah, I got a notice last week that it is time to re-register my 06 VW Toureg V10 TDI. It says I need a smog cert and at first I thought it was an error I had heard CA was only requiring smog on 2008 and up diesels with DPF's. I guess I'll find out next week

Mike

Old 06-06-2010, 03:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: wife's b-day present

Originally Posted by MrSix
Here's a funny coincidence. I bought a Crossfire for my wife last week. But I didn't tell her about it. I just lit out at 4 am with my brother the 350 or so miles to inspect/buy a little-old-lady-owned 35K mile car. It was near perfect, not super clean and possibly *never* waxed but I've rectified that with claybar and Xymol. By the time I got home at 6pm she was waaay pi$$ed at me. Something to the effect of "I love my Denali" "I don't need another car" "We could put the $$ into the house" blah balh blah. I( was *almost* on the couch for the first couple days. We 'talked' about it and I agreed to keep her involved in major decisions like this yadda yadda. The SRT sat for a week while I was waiting for the ice to thaw, then I noticed it had moved one day She has driven it every day since then Can you belive she said she wouldn't mind 'a little more oomph' So needwings and Inmotion it is.

Glockster, I LOVED my 40 cal 23C Glock til I fired my buddies 40 XD. Makes the Glock seem like a dinosaur

Since you are local, you ever heard of Cars& Coffee at the Irvine Spectrum? I'll be there at 6:30 am in the wifeys Crossfire, I'd be glad to park with another

Mike
Sorry to hijack the thread...but I have to agree with you on the the XD, I have the XD Service and the subcompact both in .45 ACP and just purchased an XDm 3.8 also in .45ACP. and love them also own a Kimber.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:44 AM

what are you doing up so late crossfireLTD? I'm working what's your excuse....not to hijack this thread, but pm me and tell me about Pearl Black Clear Coat...and I am keeping my Glock....lol...none of that new fancy stuff for me...although a Kimber Carry II would be nice....

Old 06-06-2010, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by MrSix
Yeah, I got a notice last week that it is time to re-register my 06 VW Toureg V10 TDI. It says I need a smog cert and at first I thought it was an error I had heard CA was only requiring smog on 2008 and up diesels with DPF's. I guess I'll find out next week

Mike
It's 1998 or newer. Here's a document for you.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/vi...09/09vin28.pdf

Quick Reply: wife's b-day present