Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Key won't turn in the ignition...

Old 09-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key won't turn in the ignition...

Have you had problems with your ignition?

Bought my new '04 this last Saturday, 48 hours later my key(s) wouldn't turn in the ignition. I am told that the igntion assembly, steering column, housing & other parts have to be replaced. The parts have to come off the assembly line & will take at least a week to get to LA, CA.
SCORE: ME=48 hours. THEM= 11+days.

Not to mention that Chrysler's Roadside Service tow guy ran the front end of my car into the driveway at the dealership. I also found scratches around the entire car. Now I have a claim with the Roadside Service folks.
It will have to go to the paint & body shop after it finally gets fixed.
SCORE: ME=48 hours. THEM=18+ days.

Stay tuned for final score.

Old 09-03-2004, 08:34 AM

When I picked mine up I could not get the key to turn. The sales rep tried also. After a good 15 minutes one of the techs found the ignition had to be fully in the off position to turn the key. The car had been started then turned off leaving the key is the accessory position. In that case the key must be turned fully counterclockwise before it can be turned clockwise. I have run across this several more times since I have had the Xfire.

Old 09-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Forum Regular

Did you try turning the steering wheel? It has many locking points and sometimes you need to just turn it slightly to get the key to turn. That or pulling the key all the way out and putting it back in.

I haven't heard of anyone else with issues, however you could have something wrong.

Sorry for the bad luck

Old 09-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Default Update:

Update:
I bought my car on Aug 28. In the shop on Aug. 30 for the ignition. Today is September 10. IT'S STILL IN THE SHOP!!! Still waitng for parts!

Old 09-14-2004, 05:03 PM

Still no car. See post: "Don't Break Your Car". Looks like I may get a new car per Calif. lemon law.
Score: Me = 48 hours THEM= 15-27 days

Old 09-14-2004, 06:38 PM
Forum Regular

Have you talked to the general manager? Tech Advisior for the Business Center? Who all has gotten involved?

Old 09-14-2004, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by DFWSBR
Did you try turning the steering wheel? It has many locking points and sometimes you need to just turn it slightly to get the key to turn. That or pulling the key all the way out and putting it back in.

I haven't heard of anyone else with issues, however you could have something wrong.

Sorry for the bad luck
Why can't I have that bad luck?That bad luck is good luck when lemon law hits! That means new car :lol:

Old 09-14-2004, 08:36 PM

Everyone is involved. Not just about how my case has been handled but Chrysler's flawed system of getting parts to the US. Chrysler's customer service is involved as well as the district manager of the Greater LA area. Not feeling much love from any of them. They all have the attitude that "It's not my fault". I started throwing out the "Lemon Law" phrase today. I think it fell on deaf ears. As of Sept. 29th, I'm entitled to a new car per Calif. Lemon Law. It's a shame because the car is not the Lemon but Chrysler's system of part's delivery is the Lemon. Please see my post: "Don't Break Your Car".