Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Roadster rear window problem solved?

Old 07-27-2015, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

After reading all the comments, I noticed that Canadian owners are not
mentioned...
The car was purchase in Virginia, USA

2005 Limited Roadster Blue with white interior.
Never winter driven, always in an heated garage from Oct to may.

Thank you,
George

Last edited by georges99; 08-27-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by georges99
After reading all the comments, I noticed that Canadian owners are mentioned...
The car was purchase in Virginia, USA

My wife arrived from work today with her window detached from the top.

2005 Limited Roadster Blue with white interior.
Never winter driven, always in an heated garage from Oct to may.

Thank you,
George

Thanks for your input, sorry to hear that your car has joined the vast majority. Virginia is not included in the 2011 Chrysler Warranty for the 2005 model year cars delivered to only 9 (south east & mid-west) U.S. States. Too bad because if your car was under 100,000 miles and close (give or take) to the 10 year sale date , even in Canada, they may have honored their Warranty.
Please try to get an official response from Chrysler, Canada; it may make a huge difference to everyone, if Chrysler filed any official documents with Canadian Transportation Government Officials concerning this defect. Thank you.
(Go Canadiens, Le Habitant)

Old 08-04-2015, 07:24 AM

I am Canadian and in the same situation. My Crossfire was purchased in Georgia. I would be right on the line relative to 100,000 kms and 10 years, but can only imagine the headache I would have to go through to get anyone at Chrysler to deal with this. My top is in MINT condition, always garage stored, never winter driven. Any other Canadians had any luck with this issue. All help would be appreciated.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Forum Regular

Georgia is one of the 9 States that the defective "group" (by VIN #) of Roadsters were shipped to. Chrysler considers all Roadsters shipped to the 9 States to be subject to rear window detachment; clearly the implication of their 2011 Warranty restriction. It won't cost anything to inquire.

I saw something in my research that any action Chrysler may have filed in another country would affect a possible U.S. Gov't action. Any info would be helpful, ASAP. Thanks.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by lovecross
Thanks for your input, sorry to hear that your car has joined the vast majority. Virginia is not included in the 2011 Chrysler Warranty for the 2005 model year cars delivered to only 9 (south east & mid-west) U.S. States. Too bad because if your car was under 100,000 miles and close (give or take) to the 10 year sale date , even in Canada, they may have honored their Warranty.
Please try to get an official response from Chrysler, Canada; it may make a huge difference to everyone, if Chrysler filed any official documents with Canadian Transportation Government Officials concerning this defect. Thank you.
(Go Canadiens, Le Habitant)
Hi again !

I am sorry for my mistake, but I meant to write that the car comes from Florida.
After the car was purchased in Florida, I drove it back to Virginia for a while, before getting it in Canada. The car was really bought from Florida when new.

I have talk with Chrysler Canada, and because the car comes from United States, the warranty is void as soon as it crossed the border to Canada. Otherwise my top would have been covered under that special warranty.

The car only have 65,000 miles.

Last edited by georges99; 08-05-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:10 AM
Forum Regular
Question Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

Originally Posted by georges99
Hi again !

I am sorry for my mistake, but I meant to write that the car comes from Florida.
After the car was purchased in Florida, I drove it back to Virginia for a while, before getting it in Canada. The car was really bought from Florida when new.

I have talk with Chrysler Canada, and because the car comes from United States, the warranty is void as soon as it crossed the border to Canada. Otherwise my top would have been covered under that special warranty.

The car only have 65,000 miles.

One remaining question: Did Canadian Gov't Transportation Officials ever receive any Service Bulletins, etc.,(from Chrysler) concerning Roadster rear window detachment? Thanks.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=lovecross;844329]One remaining question: Did Canadian Gov't Transportation Officials ever receive any Service Bulletins, etc.,(from Chrysler) concerning Roadster rear window detachment? Thanks.[/QUOTE

I really don't know the answer to this one...

Old 08-07-2015, 10:09 AM
Forum Regular

You may have a Canadian Federal Gov't website for your traffic safety Department where you can check by make, model, year etc.( Also, maybe by VIN #)

Old 08-25-2015, 12:09 PM

My window is now falling out.

Called these Chrysler crooks at their complaint number and they flat out told me NO. Unwilling to provide any assistance. Asked for a supervisor call back. Will be filing BBB and NHTSA claims.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:41 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

After Chryslers NHTSA "victory".. wouldn't surprise me if they cut off any "goodwill" co pay help or anything else not straight out of the extended warranty program for the 9 states.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:36 PM

Well, I haven't driven the car in over a year. I took it out of the garage today to wash it. After the wash, the rear glass fell out of the top. Since mine is on 2007 and is not covered under the warrenty, I was wondering if anyone in the Houston area has gotten their top replaced and if they can recommend a shop to get the top replaced.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:32 AM

Thanks to this and other threads I contacted Chrysler about the rear window issue. yes there is an extended warranty, yes my car is still within the 10 year warranty time frame, yes is under 100k miles (actually38k) no its not covered because its not from one of the nine states.

Its criminal that they don't acknowledge the problem to be all the cars.

Im going to attempt the window weld fix using the suction cup method.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:45 AM

I fixed mine early last June.. still holding fine.. towels and gorilla tape method for the window weld.

Also repaired a local members for her with the same method a few months back.. Still holding for her too.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:38 PM
Smile Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

Originally Posted by 05 Roadster Ltd Girl
Crossfire family, if you are experiencing problems with your rear window please call 1-800-247-9753 and file a compliant with NHTSA(National Highway Traffic Safety). I plan to file a law suit against Chrysler for this know defect that can cause serious injury if not death.

I understand some people out of warranty did receive some compensation from $500 to $1500 from Chrysler
When you file, if it is a class action please let me know thank you, Fred Neilen fsneilen@comcast.net 724-882-9917

Old 04-20-2016, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by bassadude
When you file, if it is a class action please let me know thank you, Fred Neilen fsneilen@comcast.net 724-882-9917
NHTSA has already laughed this off.. there is no danger..no one has lost a window going down the road.. much less causing ANY injury other than personal pride of the car. and if you want to park it outside with the window down.. you don't have a case of defect and damage.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by 05 Roadster Ltd Girl
Candy, I'm sure the replacement will be the same with no improvements. This is why they should have a recall. From what they are telling me they have very little complaints of this known issue and of course I do not believe them! If we band together, we can force them to implement a recall. I plan to go on national TV with my complaint and show the world how unsafe this car really is.

Roster Girl Limited....
Was that local cable or national? Never saw anything..

Old 04-23-2016, 03:00 PM
Forum Regular
Cool Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
NHTSA has already laughed this off.. there is no danger..no one has lost a window going down the road.. much less causing ANY injury other than personal pride of the car. and if you want to park it outside with the window down.. you don't have a case of defect and damage.

Mrmiata is correct. Due to the lack of death, injury and accident data; NHTSA, last year /'2015, stated that further investigation would not likely reveal what they would consider to be a safety related defect. This is the same conclusion they made in 2010, before the Chrysler Service Bulletin/Warranty (by vin # only) of Oct/2011.

However, I believe that there has always been a valid case/claim to be made based upon an "unfair business practice".

Chrysler's Warranty covered ALL of the SPECIFIC vin numbers, that the Company chose, for 100% of the cost. Example: an '05 Roadster from North Carolina is moved to Michigan after a few months, it retains the 10 year/100,000 mile "special" Warranty, (as would ALL of the specific vin numbers regardless of location). Chrysler's "Letter" advised owners to store it's contents for future reference and offered reimbursement if replacement was already done.
Vice versa example: an identical model from New York that was moved to Florida does NOT qualify, even if it was only located in New York for it's first few months.
In Fact: their supplemental warranty covered a specific group of cars by vin number, period. That the chosen group were all sold within 9 States (intentionally of course) should legally be considered nothing more than coincidence. Their limitation cannot even be defined as "regional", since several neighboring States with the same climate were omitted. There are actually NO covered States, rather: a select group of cars. This, despite the fact that ALL of the original roof tops were made over a relatively short time period and years before the Chrysler 2011 Warranty & Service Bulletin.

Simply put: Chrysler cannot justify their restriction, which is very loosely based upon climate. Faulty attachment/adhesion process IS the root cause. A small claims court or arbitrator, if given their "Letter" & Service Bulletin from our forum; with evidence of the widespread occurrence, from safercar.gov, would have to conclude the same. I know this is tired and old, but wish someone could have (had) a victory over them.

Last edited by lovecross; 08-07-2016 at 01:28 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 05-04-2016, 04:26 PM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

About 6 weeks or 2 months ago I re-glued the upper left and lower right corners of the back window, It had separated about 4 to 5 inches on both corners, Repair came out fine. Now the whole rest of the glass has separated from the top. The only places it's still attached is where I had re-glued it. I think I will try and remove the glass completely so I can thoroughly clean it and re-adhere the whole thing. Anyone have any bits of wisdom to offer?

Old 05-06-2016, 12:37 PM

Just prep'd the X-Fire for the summer fun season and noticed the rear window starting to separate, DS lower corner. Have been watching this forum since purchasing the X-Fire 5 years ago.

It is a MI car originally and traded in IL, from where I purchased it, and driven to WI where it happily stays.

Sounds like a lot of owners have done the repairs themselves and was wondering what is the best product to use? Right now leaning toward 3m.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:31 AM

I just used the 3m product with the 3M primer. Repair came out well but I am lookiNg to hear long the repair lasted for those of you that did it a while ago?

Quick Reply: Roadster rear window problem solved?