Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Roadster rear window problem solved?

Old 08-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadster rear window problem solved?

Hi folks, As some of you regular readers might remember the rear window on our roadster seperated last February and I reglude it with 3M super gasket seal and it is still holding. However I have yet to put the top down for fear it won't hold. Perhaps there may be a more permanent solution.
My wife and I own and operate Morgan Century Farm B&B in the Endless Mountains region of Pa. We cater to car enthusiasts and recently had Joe Richardson and his wife as guests. Joe is Product Development Engineer with the Eastwood Co. I was telling him about the problem that many of us are having with the rear window and as luck would have it he had developed a kit to address this specific problem. It is Item 50007Zp and can be found at Eastwood's web site. Moreover, Joe said he would personally provide phone assistance to any member who would call him at 1-610-705-5462 extension5462. Check it out - it's called Eastwood Convertible Glass Window Rebond Kit.
Should any members wish to tour the Endless Mountains we would enjoy being your hosts. Ken & Linda Florentine Morgan Century Farm B&B 1-888-335-1583 Give us a call and we'll send a brochure.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

grt info, this should be a sticky....sounds like a grt vacation destination...

Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 AM

I just bought an '05 Roadster a couple months ago and the seal on the rear window just started coming loose yesterday. I bought an extended warranty, but of course they said this is excluded.
My dealer said they would just send the car to an upholstery shop to be re-glued. I'm afraid this will just be a temporary fix and I'll always be worried that it will break loose when I put the top down or the glass could even fly off when I'm driving. However, I definitely don't have the money to buy a new top. Does anyone know how reliable these repairs are?

Old 08-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I repaired my window ( HOW TO )with 3M Window-Weld (08609) over a month and a half ago and it is holding strong.
Cost, $18.

The following users liked this post:
Boresite (07-06-2021)
Old 08-12-2009, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the how-to instructions. We re-glued the window last night and it looks pretty good. It didn't line up exactly perfect but it's hardly noticeable. The glue takes a while to harden and since almost the whole window had come loose, we had to stuff towels in the back window to hold it in place. I'll let you know how it holds up.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Cool Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

My insurance company paid for mine to be repaired. Nearly 2600 for the part and installing the thing. I pretty much got a whole new top. It was outside and considered a comprehensive claim.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:14 AM

Update.
STILL holding since June.
Top has been up and down numerous times.
Trip to San Diego and back in over 100 degree temps.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:38 AM

Mine is 2+ months and holding perfectly with the above repair using the window weld. I highly recommend Tighed's method of repair. Just be careful not to get it where you don't want it!!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:23 PM

After a 1000 mile trip with the top up I noticed that the car has an area (factory seal) right next to my initial repair that is starting to separate.
Time to repair some more. Still have the tube so this is at no additional cost. That is if the stuff didn't harden already.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
After a 1000 mile trip with the top up I noticed that the car has an area (factory seal) right next to my initial repair that is starting to separate.
Time to repair some more. Still have the tube so this is at no additional cost. That is if the stuff didn't harden already.
Where did you buy the 3M product? never mind, I found it on line. DUH

Last edited by RMADERMAN; 10-17-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:02 PM

The 3M super adhesive is available at most automotive supply stores. It comes in black and amber. It is still working on my top since last Feb. However, I have used the car very little and it is stored in a heated garage. Ken

Old 10-17-2009, 10:50 PM

Anyone experience rear window defroster problems on roadster? My defroster on heats top two strips. I know dealership will say that the top will have to be replaced.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a shot in the dark, when old window tint is removed sometimes they are impatient and will use a razor and destroy the traces instead of steaming it off and scrubbing off the glue. If a trace gets cut anywhere that defroster line wont work. I don't know your particular situation however. Just visualy check the traces on the inside of the window from the connectors for small breaks.As far as prolonging the rear window fall out problem listed above, I noticed that when I drove with the top up and the windows down the rear glass would vibrate like crazy in the rearview mirror. When I rolled up the windows it stopped. Maybe keeping the windows closed could delay this problem, or maybe not. Just a thought.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:03 PM

Crossfire family, if you are experiencing problems with your rear window please call 1-800-247-9753 and file a compliant with NHTSA(National Highway Traffic Safety). I plan to file a law suit against Chrysler for this know defect that can cause serious injury if not death.

I understand some people out of warranty did receive some compensation from $500 to $1500 from Chrysler

Old 09-17-2010, 12:21 PM

For those of you who have replaced the whole top with a new one, does it have the same glued-on window, or is it more securely fastened?

I have 2 quotes:

$1,500 custom made, or
$1,900 new from Chrysler

Candy

Old 09-17-2010, 06:02 PM

Candy, I'm sure the replacement will be the same with no improvements. This is why they should have a recall. From what they are telling me they have very little complaints of this known issue and of course I do not believe them! If we band together, we can force them to implement a recall. I plan to go on national TV with my complaint and show the world how unsafe this car really is.

Roster Girl Limited....

Old 09-17-2010, 06:09 PM

Candy, form what I've been told, custom made is the best way to go! However, have you complained to Chrysler about this known defect and filed complaints with various agencies? You may want to follow that process before you pay out of pocket because they agreed to pay for my replacement. This is a mfg defect!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:53 AM

Hey I wanted to let everyone know I'm having the same problem with my top. I repaired it once using the 3m window adhesive everyone is using but my window fell out completely. Luckily the wires for the window defroster kept it from blowing out of the car before I was able to stop and put it in the trunk.

I ordered the Kit from Eastwood and I'll take some pictures of the install and let everyone know how it works. If this doesn’t help next stop Tampa for a new top.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:13 PM

To the readers with the rear glass problem; I filed a complaint with BBB on-line; Chrysler LLC agreed to replace my top because of my complaint. The replacement cost is $3500, I will only pay $300 out of pocket.

Please fill out a BBB on-line claim as soon as possible snd call this Chrylser complaint number 1-800-247-9753 to submit your complaint there too as a paper trail.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I too have fallen victim to the separation issue. I called the Chrysler and I am ~ 1000 mile out of my 7/70K extended warranty. They are calling me back tomorrow to discuss a possible 'good will' fix for me. Crossing my fingers.

Quick Reply: Roadster rear window problem solved?