Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Roadster rear window problem solved?

Old 12-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

Reading them and appreciative of your efforts!

Old 12-12-2010, 03:36 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes hoop237 we are reading this. This thread has been viewed 6,259 times it is very nice of you to keep us informed!

Old 12-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just subscribing....we have an '05 also.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to fix the rear window with some 3M Window Weld and it held up after a couple of times dropping the the top as well as the first rain that it experienced.

As I mentioned before, my dealer is willing to change out the entire top for a $250 deductible. Does anyone know what all comes with a new top? Does it include new seals for the windows and where the rubber meets the trunk? If so, it would probably be worth paying the $250 even though my Window Weld seems to be holding and the fabric is still in great shape.

Anyone happen to have an image from a repair manual or anything that shows this part and what all is attached to it?

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re RAG TOP WEATHERSTRIPPING

I had my Top replaced because of the rear window falling out. I had to pay the dealer because he said the car was 6 months out of my 3 year warranty. I think they damaged the weatherstripping when they removed it from the original top. Unfortunately when Chrysler closed all those dealerships which was a few months after the replacement. I was screwed. my dealer closed and the parent company, Maroone would not do anything for me. Has anybody had a to fix or replace the weatherstripping and did anyone find a reasonable solution....thank you.....Howard

Old 12-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Default Re: Re RAG TOP WEATHERSTRIPPING

Originally Posted by LEXSKY
I had my Top replaced because of the rear window falling out. I had to pay the dealer because he said the car was 6 months out of my 3 year warranty. I think they damaged the weatherstripping when they removed it from the original top. Unfortunately when Chrysler closed all those dealerships which was a few months after the replacement. I was screwed. my dealer closed and the parent company, Maroone would not do anything for me. Has anybody had a to fix or replace the weatherstripping and did anyone find a reasonable solution....thank you.....Howard
Ouch!!! If you're talking about the weatherseal that the windows firm to, I really have no solution ..... but if you're talking about the rear seal that contacts the tonneau .... there is a seller on ebay that has a new rear seal for our xFire for @ $59. Their name is turnersperformanceprogramming .... search for that seller on eBay if that's what you need. Good Luck ..... others will chime in I'm sure .....

Old 12-24-2010, 09:36 AM

Has anyone tried to prevent the rear window problem by fixing with Window Weld before the window begins to separate from the top? I haven't even bought a car yet, but since it seems that every roadster in the hot southern states has the problem eventually, I thought that I might try some preventive maintenance.

I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to break the existing seal between the glass and the fabric with a razor knife, maybe 6"" or 12" at a time, and then re-seal with the Window Weld. I could work my way around the window gradually, and I could be confident that the glass is re-sealed in the correct position.

I guess that some of you have re-sealed a section at a time, as the seal has come loose, but has anyone done as I am suggesting? Also, does anyone have opinions concerning the merits of using black Window Weld vs. amber? Would the black be less noticeable?

Old 12-24-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieO
Has anyone tried to prevent the rear window problem by fixing with Window Weld before the window begins to separate from the top? I haven't even bought a car yet, but since it seems that every roadster in the hot southern states has the problem eventually, I thought that I might try some preventive maintenance.

I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to break the existing seal between the glass and the fabric with a razor knife, maybe 6"" or 12" at a time, and then re-seal with the Window Weld. I could work my way around the window gradually, and I could be confident that the glass is re-sealed in the correct position.

I guess that some of you have re-sealed a section at a time, as the seal has come loose, but has anyone done as I am suggesting? Also, does anyone have opinions concerning the merits of using black Window Weld vs. amber? Would the black be less noticeable?
Hey CharlieO ..... Don't fix whats not broken. Your window may stay good for a long time and never come loose. My car was bought in Florida a year ago, and the window was loose in an area about 12 inches long. I used tighed1's repair method and its still holding perfectly. I definitely wouldn't break the factory seal. Use the KISS principle and Keep It Stupid Simple. Use the black Window Weld, when and if you need it. Just my $.02

Old 01-31-2011, 11:27 AM

Ok, I'm a happy camper -- here's my story...
In previous posts, I said that in September I bought a 05 roadster and almost immediately saw that the back window was coming loose. I was out of Chrysler warranty of course, and the dealer recommended a Corvette shop where I could get it repaired on my dime.
Other people on this forum said they had gone to the National Highway Traffic people and lodged a safety complaint, so I did that too, and got a case number.
I then went to Chrysler's consumer complaint department and told them my story. They eventually offered me a $1000 good will credit, but since the top was going to cost $2200, I didn't take them up on their offer right away.
Then I wrote a nice, but firm, letter to Chrysler's CEO telling him of my problem and that they should pay the entire amount for the top, or just leave me the sales tax to pay. In a few days I got a call from the Chrysler executive branch telling me that not only were they not going to pay for the top but that they were rescinding the first offer of $1000!
Quick as a bunny, I called the first Chrysler people back and said I would accept their $1000 offer, hoping I could get them to act before they got the word that the offer was to be cancelled.
I guess that worked, since my dealer got $1100 toward replacing my top, an extra $100, for some reason.
So I got the top replaced, and had to pay $1166 out of my pocket, including tax, but the top was on and looked good.
Then a week or so later I got another call from the Chrysler executive guy who said they had looked at my letter again and found new information that the original top vendor had a quality control problem. As a result they were going to pay for the entire top replacement!
Yesterday I received Chrysler Corporation's check for $1166, my entire expense for the top replacement.
Yippee!
This may not be great information for those who had to pay anything at all for their top, but it may help for anyone else who comes up with that problem...

Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by 05 Roadster Ltd Girl
Crossfire family, if you are experiencing problems with your rear window please call 1-800-247-9753 and file a compliant with NHTSA(National Highway Traffic Safety). I plan to file a law suit against Chrysler for this know defect that can cause serious injury if not death.

I understand some people out of warranty did receive some compensation from $500 to $1500 from Chrysler
deff i just called chrysler and started my complaint on my 05 crossfire. wish me luck probley will need it.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 AM

crossman .... good luck ..... report back with results

Old 03-18-2011, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by 05 Roadster Ltd Girl
Crossfire family, if you are experiencing problems with your rear window please call 1-800-247-9753 and file a compliant with NHTSA(National Highway Traffic Safety). I plan to file a law suit against Chrysler for this know defect that can cause serious injury if not death.

I understand some people out of warranty did receive some compensation from $500 to $1500 from Chrysler
Emailed Chrysler about problem. They paid 1500 I paid 600. Went to a custom shop. New top and window sits in a pocket of material that is glued to the top and window. Looks better than the original.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:55 PM

Today, my 2005 Roadster rear window also separated from the top. I filed a complaint with Chrysler, the BBB and the Gov. recall agency. Don't know what will come of it, but in the meantime I have an undrivable vehicle.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carman
Emailed Chrysler about problem. They paid 1500 I paid 600. Went to a custom shop. New top and window sits in a pocket of material that is glued to the top and window. Looks better than the original.
Do you still have the email address you used?
My window fell today.
Update, I called Chrysler at 1-800-247-9753 to plead my case and they told me they would get back to me tomorrow. I don't have much faith I'll get help but I will try. I bought my car new and have had it 5 years and only have 22,000 miles on it, it is garage kept, only driven in the rain three times and looks better than the day I picked it up.

Paul

Last edited by PAULW; 05-05-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by PAULW
Do you still have the email address you used?
My window fell today.

Paul
My daughter's rear window fell out on Sunday. The dealer is charging me $450 to replace the top completely. Chrysler is paying the dealer $1500.

This will be her 2nd replacement. Mine has also been replaced twice.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:59 AM

I am having this issue also and i am in the process right now of writing the BBB. once that is done i will be calling Chrysler themselves and tell them of the issue and that i did write the BBB this needs to be recalled

Old 05-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chrysler called me back and had me take the car to my local dealer who looked it over and took some pictures, a couple of hours later the Chrysler rep called me to let me know she had received the information from the dealership and would get back to me in a couple of days. I am waiting on a call but from our conversation I believe they are going to help.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:09 AM

k on the BBB site it wont let me list the crossfire in the file a complaint section

Old 05-11-2011, 11:19 AM

we all need to ban together and get this out to the BBB. Chrysler needs to own up to this issue and have it recalled. This isn't something that needs to be left unchecked.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:29 AM

K well i just got off the phone with the BBB, and they said they dont deal with Chrysler so i was told i needed to contact the attorney general

Quick Reply: Roadster rear window problem solved?