Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Roadster rear window problem solved?

Old 09-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

Please go on-line and submit the issue to BBB (Better Business ). They gave me the run around from the number I provided below but after my complaint with BBB they called me immedatly with an offer. I made it known this safety issue can cause an accident or someone can lose their life if the glass falls out on the highway. This is a very serious issue and Chrysler must issue a recall.

Please file with the BBB..

Old 09-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Tri_zombie - I bought the Eastwood kit and used it to repair the back window on my Sebring convertible, and it worked very well for me. The kit does not come with instructions. PM me if you want details on how I did it.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05 Roadster Ltd Girl
Please go on-line and submit the issue to BBB (Better Business ). They gave me the run around from the number I provided below but after my complaint with BBB they called me immedatly with an offer. I made it known this safety issue can cause an accident or someone can lose their life if the glass falls out on the highway. This is a very serious issue and Chrysler must issue a recall.

Please file with the BBB..
i did call the nukmber and they opened a case for me. it was late yesterday and they said someone would call today. i will keep you posted.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by 05 Roadster Ltd Girl
To the readers with the rear glass problem; I filed a complaint with BBB on-line; Chrysler LLC agreed to replace my top because of my complaint. The replacement cost is $3500, I will only pay $300 out of pocket.

Please fill out a BBB on-line claim as soon as possible snd call this Chrylser complaint number 1-800-247-9753 to submit your complaint there too as a paper trail.
I tried filing online to BBB, and when I put in Chrysler, the model "crossfire" was not recognized, and couldn't complete the form. Whasup with this? How did you get around this.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Toolman
Tri_zombie - I bought the Eastwood kit and used it to repair the back window on my Sebring convertible, and it worked very well for me. The kit does not come with instructions. PM me if you want details on how I did it.

Thanks Toolman I appreciate the offer, If I need some help I'll PM you. I used Tighed1 instructions the first time and I read all the information on the epoxy and wet sanded the edge of the glass to give me a frosted finish for more adhesion so I'm hoping for success this time.

Ok I filed today with NHTSA and the B.B.B. but I'm going to hold my breath and repair it tonight.

One thing I'm planning on doing is gluing a 2.5" strip of canvas to the top and bottom of the interior of the glass. After the glue cures I'll put a bead of glue around the outside of the glass and set it hopefully in its original position, after it cures I'm going to glue the (black) canvas to the interior of the top creating a pocket for the window to sit in and doubling the surface area of the adhesive. I'll be sure to take pictures and post them.

Both times the glass came loose we were having upper 90° temps. With 80-100% humidity and driving at highway speeds.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:16 PM

Good luck. The adhesive in the kit will dry rock hard, so keep that in mind that wherever the canvas is glue it will not flex. It also works best to put it on thin and find a way to press the two side together.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eruby
i did call the nukmber and they opened a case for me. it was late yesterday and they said someone would call today. i will keep you posted.
Ok, Chrysler Corporate told me I needed to go by my local dealer and have them look at it. I told the dealer I had a case open. They looked at it this morning. When I got home from work, I had a message telling me that Chysler was not going to do anything to remedy the problem. I'll call them tomorrow - a little less nice and see what's going on. I'll keep all posted.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:30 PM

Hey everyone I thought I'd let you know Chrysler said they would not do anything because the car is now out of warranty.

The Eastwood kit lasted one week before the window came out again.

The Epoxy takes almost two hours two set up and during that time it absorbed into the cloth and loosened the adhesive apparently used when they folded the cloth over to make the nice finished edge around the glass. So now I have damage to the cloth. Ironically most of the adhesive stayed with the glass. I’m going to try and glues it one more time this weekend and if it fails I guess my only option will be to get a new top in Tampa.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:09 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. My repair using the Eastwood kit has been in place for 5 months and is holding strong. I applied a very small bead of adhesive and flattened it with a popsicle stick to about 1/2 inch width, I applied pressure holding both sides together (pillow case stuffed with rags to support the inside and oil bottles holding the outside down), and left it alone for 24 hours.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
I repaired my window ( HOW TO )with 3M Window-Weld (08609) over a month and a half ago and it is holding strong.
Cost, $18.

Spend your BIG $$$ at Eastwood if you will.
After nearly 1.5 years my repairs continue to hold.

Just sayin'.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:47 PM

Spend your BIG $$$ at Eastwood if you will.
After nearly 1.5 years my repairs continue to hold.

Just sayin'.
I tried your way the first two times The first and it did hold for a little while but eventually came loose while sitting outside (high heat and humidity). I repaired it a second time and it completely fell out while driving. This time I used the Eastwood adhesive and most of the epoxy stayed with the glass so maybe some remnants the 3M Window-Weld (08609) on the canvas reacted with the Eastwood product. I’ll put up some pictures of the before and after shots. I sanded the edge of the glass and cleaned the cloth, used the primer on both surfaces and applied a small bead of glue and used a acid brush to smooth out the glue. I did the bottom first and clamped the glass and canvas between some wood strips and let it sit for 12 hours. Then I propped up the glass and used painters tape and rulers to put pressure from top and used some shop towel rolls and movers blankets to put pressure from below. I think everything has to do with where you are located. Hot and humid weather of New Orleans 98F-90 humidity verses 104F- 0 humidity. Where else do you need to pressure wash a house three times a year to keep the mold off. Hey DJ, I’m sure you remember the humidity
Oh well I’m not giving up yet… One more try if it doesn’t work I’ll glue in some heavy clear plastic until I get it over to Tampa.

Thanks again.

BTW.
DJ Major Kudos on the RCM repair write up!!!

Old 10-23-2010, 12:59 AM

Bummer Dude. Guess living in desert conditions has its advantages.
Thanks for the kudos ref the RCM stuff.

I'm looking for a replacement relay so we can tackle the air pump problems with the RCM now. More later.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Cool Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

Has anyone yet come up with a really, really good fix for the rear window problem?
I bought my 2005 black on black base roadster on September 3. Ten days later after several cycles of the top, I noticed that the left side of the back window and top and bottom on that side for about a foot across was coming loose. I have the extended warranty, but it says it doesn't cover convertible tops.
I'm going to start with the dealer with the argument that this is a window problem, not specifically the top. That probably won't work, so I may go the route that's been mentioned here, the BBB, Chrysler corporate, and/or the safety agency. That's had mixed results, I see, and the reglueing has also had mixed results, it seems.
So, although the car is garaged, I can't drive it in the rain, and since this is Florida with rain showers coming down even when the sun is out, I need to find an all-weather fix...

Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 PM

Yo Hoop, can't guarantee the repair will work on BLACK Crossfires.

Welcome to the Forum and the Family!

Old 10-28-2010, 06:59 PM

Hoop, welcome to the forum. I have not tried the 3M solution, so I cannot comment on it. The Eastwood kit did work excellent for me. Part of the solution is how the area is cleaned (glue does not stick to glue), how the adhesive is applied, and held together. The instructions on the Eastwood adhesive stress a thin layer and firmly held together.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went out and bought some 3M Window Weld and was going to reglue my rear window since one side of it came loose, but I decided to have my dealer look at it first.

He is currently trying to talk Chrysler into replacing the entire top with a new one under my warranty. That would be sweet!

*Update: Just spoke with the dealer. Chrysler is now saying that they may replace the whole top, but it will cost me a $250 deductible. I am thinking this is well worth it for a brand new soft top, since I hear these things wear out and get ragged after a while.

I live in Dallas and the sun here can be brutal even though I keep it in the garage most of the time at home and I park in a parking garage at work.

Anyone ever had to replace one of these and have any idea what it is worth to have a new ragtop installed?

BTW: I installed the One Touch button for the top from Accelerated Industries and I love it. It is totally cool to push the button and then get out of the car and watch it go down and watch all of the people checking me out with my badass car. lol Now I just need some Lambo doors and I will be big pimpin'.

Thanks.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of these window issues seem to be with the 05 Roadster. How many 06 - 08 windows have fallen out ? I have the 06 roadster and live in the humid hot south, & luckily no issue yet. Do all Xfire roadsters have the rear window adhesive from the factory?

Old 11-23-2010, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by cajunxfire
Most of these window issues seem to be with the 05 Roadster. How many 06 - 08 windows have fallen out ? I have the 06 roadster and live in the humid hot south, & luckily no issue yet. Do all Xfire roadsters have the rear window adhesive from the factory?
I'm curious also, The Roadster I'm picking up on Saturday had a new top installed about a month ago so I wonder if newer ones have any improvements.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:58 PM

A while back I wrote how my new to me (as of September 3rd) 2005 black on black roadster with just over 23 K on it already had the rear window coming loose. I went to the dealer first, and of course since it was out of warranty they weren't going to do anything except send me to a Corvette (!) repair shop to get it fixed on my dime. Then I wrote to NHTSA to complain about the Roadster's rear window falling out, and they in turn gave me reference number on my complaint. I next went to the Chrysler website where I found I could write them about my problem. Surprise, I actually got an answer back, and after some more communications I now have a "case manager" for my problem. They've told me to get an estimate on repair from the Corvette shop and let them know what it is. They've hinted (not promised) that they will give me some relief on the cost -- we'll see...
Oh, and I also contacted the BBB, but they suggested that I try to work out the problem with Chrysler first.
I'll let the forum know how I make out with all this --

Old 12-11-2010, 11:00 PM

Ok, I said I'll follow up with a progress report on my rear window problem on my 2005 roadster, so here's the latest...
The Corvette repair shop that my dealer sent me to said that this problem also happens on Corvette convertibles, and that there's no good way to fix it other than to replace the top at about $2K. I gave that info to my Chrysler complaint case manager. Eventually they got back to me and offered to split the cost of the new top. But that's a thousand bucks that shouldn't have to come out of my pocket. They "understood my frustration," they said, but that was their best offer, and it would be open for a month, essentially take it or leave it.
Well, for the time being I'm going to leave it (although I may have to eventually take it) and I'll write a letter to the CEO of Chrylser Corp. Maybe that will get me somewhere or maybe I'll be ignored -- I'll give it a try, tho...
As before, I'll keep the forum updated on my progress although I'm not sure if anyone even reads these posts --

Quick Reply: Roadster rear window problem solved?