Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible top won't go down; doesn't work

Old 10-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: 2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible top won't go down; doesn't work

Originally Posted by abercrombierosy
Yes that's the part I mean, do you have that spring on BOTH sides? I have one only on the left and not on the right. If you have one on both then that means I am missing a sensor and would be the problem.
I have a spring clip on both sides.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmorgan
I have a spring clip on both sides.
Wow! That's my problem then! Thanks so much for checking. Now I guess my question is: How on earth did the top work the other day while at the dealer with only one clip/sensor and will my warranty cover it being broken off (cause it's no where to be found).

Old 10-11-2010, 10:10 PM

Wow! That's my problem then! Thanks so much for checking. Now I guess my question is: How on earth did the top work the other day while at the dealer with only one clip/sensor and will my warranty cover it being broken off (cause it's no where to be found).
Give me a couple minutes, and I will go out and take a couple of pics so you can see what it should look like.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:28 PM

Left side:
IMG_62331.jpg

Right side:
IMG_62353.jpg

It does appear to only have a switch on the left side.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: 2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible top won't go down; doesn't work

I had the same issue with my 2005 Roadster Limited. If memory serves...I think the spring clip is only on the left side. What I did was place a small piece of velcro in the area (and on the rod itself) where the right side rod is placed. This kept the right side rod in place all the time. The partition is a PITA and is very finnicky, the slightest jar or vibration will dislocate it...closing the trunk, closing the door and slightly falling into seat upon entering the car.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:00 AM

Left side:

Right side:

Thank you SO much for those pictures. I really greatly appreciate the time and effort you took to take and post those pics. Okay so now it's confirmed. I have the appropriate sensor, the clip on the right side is broken (no clue if this was done at the dealer or how it broke off) and I will attempt to velcro both sides to make sure they stay in place. Thanks again let's see what happens

Old 10-12-2010, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by CrossfireLTD
I had the same issue with my 2005 Roadster Limited. If memory serves...I think the spring clip is only on the left side. What I did was place a small piece of velcro in the area (and on the rod itself) where the right side rod is placed. This kept the right side rod in place all the time. The partition is a PITA and is very finnicky, the slightest jar or vibration will dislocate it...closing the trunk, closing the door and slightly falling into seat upon entering the car.

Great idea I am gonna do that now and see what happens

Old 10-12-2010, 12:22 AM

Thank you SO much for those pictures. I really greatly appreciate the time and effort you took to take and post those pics. Okay so now it's confirmed. I have the appropriate sensor, the clip on the right side is broken (no clue if this was done at the dealer or how it broke off) and I will attempt to velcro both sides to make sure they stay in place. Thanks again let's see what happens
No problem at all. I am glad that I can help. Lets hope that the velcro trick works. I know that blame thing is very finicky on the position of the divider rod. Good luck

The following users liked this post:
Richard isaac (11-15-2023)
Old 10-12-2010, 02:13 AM

No problem at all. I am glad that I can help. Lets hope that the velcro trick works. I know that blame thing is very finicky on the position of the divider rod. Good luck

It works now!! Okay so it was a combination of the sensor not being squeezed in all the way (so velcro/tape to make divider stay put and ignite sensor. AND we had to push back on the passenger side of the top on the edge in the front in order for the top to fully go down. The combination of both things made the top work. Thanks again for everyone's help! By the way the dealer charged 1003.00 to "fix" the top.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: 2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible top won't go down; doesn't work

It works now!! Okay so it was a combination of the sensor not being squeezed in all the way (so velcro/tape to make divider stay put and ignite sensor. AND we had to push back on the passenger side of the top on the edge in the front in order for the top to fully go down. The combination of both things made the top work. Thanks again for everyone's help! By the way the dealer charged 1003.00 to "fix" the top.
I would print out the pages from this thread/forum...show them what you did and get your money back....its evident that they did not have a clue or a qualified Crossfire Certified Tech.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:51 AM

FML!!!! My top doesn't work AGAIN. It was working that ONE night I had indicated....and it doesn't work again. I put the divider into place with velcro, i pushed on the right side corner, nothing works. As soon as I hit the button it just beeps and nothing happens, as before. I KNOW the divider switch is being engaged because i made sure that area is so plugged in that it has no other option but to be engaged. No clue what else I can do....any ideas?

Old 11-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ambercrombierosy .... I'm looking at a brand new, uninstalled left hand receptor for the divider pins. I will try to post some pics of it at some point but my wife has the camera, and its unavailable till Sunday. Be that as it may, I'll try to describe what is involved from my perspective and see if you can check your left hand side.
If you pop out the pin shown right above the sensor holding the carpet piece in place and the carpet retaining pin located on the lower part of the receptor facing the rear of the trunk, you should be able to fold back the carpet to expose the sensor switch. This switch has a blue and black wire that heads back to an electrical connector that is part of the receptor. Another connector, also with blue and black wires, connects to this connector.
Now ..... maybe these connections have loosened ... try securing. Also the sensor switch has some soldered connections that should be checked. If, when you first look at the exposed sensor, there is no metal springy thing that contacts the push pin of the sensor, this also could be the problem, because any movement of the divider pin in the receptor, could cause the pin the break contact. You can see this springy thing that contacts the the push pin in the pic shown previously of the left hand side.
I realize this verbal explanation can be confusing, and a pic is worth a 1000 words, but right now its the best I can do. Also, you might consider a small mirror to help see some of it. Like I said I'll try to get a pic up of the new unit I have. Good Luck ......

Old 11-06-2010, 12:49 PM

Left side:

Right side:
Here's the pic of the left hand side showing the sensor push pin and metal thingy thing ....... also shows the carpet push pin holding the carpet right above the sensor receptor. Once you get the carpet out of the way, maybe everything will make more sense.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

FML!!!! My top doesn't work AGAIN. It was working that ONE night I had indicated....and it doesn't work again. I put the divider into place with velcro, i pushed on the right side corner, nothing works. As soon as I hit the button it just beeps and nothing happens, as before. I KNOW the divider switch is being engaged because i made sure that area is so plugged in that it has no other option but to be engaged. No clue what else I can do....any ideas?
Speaking as someone who has fixed electronic equipment for 30 years in order to earn a living, let me respond.

I KNOW the divider switch is being engaged because i made sure that area is so plugged in that it has no other option but to be engaged. No clue what else I can do....any ideas?

Ok, I am not right there with you, but the history here is that messing with that switch fixed the problem. Sounds to me like the switch itself is flaky. Just because the switch is "engaged" does not mean it'll work IF the contacts of the switch inside are bad OR the wires attached to it have a bad connection. (I have not seen the switch, I suspect the wires are not soldered to the switch, which would assure a good connection - I am sure they used some kind of Crimp connector - which SHOULD be ok, but maybe not.

I really think that switch is bad. You MIGHT be brave enough to bypass the switch.

EDIT: Ok, if you can gain access to the switch, cut off the wires and splice them together. This will indicate, at all times, that the divider is deployed. If the switch IS the problem, the top will now work reliably. But just remember to KNOW for SURE that the divider is deployed before you put the top down!

Last edited by pizzaguy; 11-06-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Speaking as someone who has fixed electronic equipment for 30 years in order to earn a living, let me respond.

I KNOW the divider switch is being engaged because i made sure that area is so plugged in that it has no other option but to be engaged. No clue what else I can do....any ideas?

Ok, I am not right there with you, but the history here is that messing with that switch fixed the problem. Sounds to me like the switch itself is flaky. Just because the switch is "engaged" does not mean it'll work IF the contacts of the switch inside are bad OR the wires attached to it have a bad connection. (I have not seen the switch, I suspect the wires are not soldered to the switch, which would assure a good connection - I am sure they used some kind of Crimp connector - which SHOULD be ok, but maybe not.

I really think that switch is bad. You MIGHT be brave enough to bypass the switch.

EDIT: Ok, if you can gain access to the switch, cut off the wires and splice them together. This will indicate, at all times, that the divider is deployed. If the switch IS the problem, the top will now work reliably. But just remember to KNOW for SURE that the divider is deployed before you put the top down!
well, we aren't on the road today and I see you are still having problems...do as pizza stated....this way you take the switch out of play...hot wiring it so to speak....it is there so something in the trunk doesn't get crushed or mess up the mechanicals while deploying the top...but taking it out of play will tell whether it is the switch or not...my money is on the switch...the tops are very realiable but that divider board and switch are a pain....good luck some switches make a circuit, some break a circuit, and I don't know which this switch is...I will assume it makes a circuit, so wire the wires together...

Last edited by oledoc2u; 11-06-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Administrator

It does "Make" a circuit, Doc.

The Manual shows it in series with the "top open" switch. If they both close, a connection to ground is made. When they both close, it pulls the "Roof/Cargo Divider Sense" line low at C1-pin 7 of the Top Control Module.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:15 PM

sorry .... trying to post pics

Old 11-06-2010, 03:27 PM

Hooray ......

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

EDIT: appears that connections to switch are soldered .... AND BY THE WAY, I HAVE A SOURCE FOR ANOTHER UNIT LIKE THIS IF YOU WANT. NOT EXPENSIVE, AND KEEPS YOU OEM. Just my $.02

Last edited by IBLUBYU; 11-06-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Which means the switch itself is bad OR the pins in the plug on that assembly are bad (probably not, but if water got in there and corroded them.....)

Old 11-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by IBLUBYU
Hooray ......

Attachment 19774

Attachment 19775

Attachment 19776

Attachment 19777

EDIT: appears that connections to switch are soldered .... AND BY THE WAY, I HAVE A SOURCE FOR ANOTHER UNIT LIKE THIS IF YOU WANT. NOT EXPENSIVE, AND KEEPS YOU OEM. Just my $.02
how much? of PM me...this might be a part I want on the shelf...lol

Quick Reply: 2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible top won't go down; doesn't work