Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Convertible top issues.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top issues.

Has anyone had any major issues with the convertible top motor or hydraulics??

Thanks,

Jim

Old 02-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: Convertible top issues.

No. Pretty much the top goes down in May and stays down until I garage it for the winter in November. So not much up/down wear and tear. It gets cycled maybe six times per summer. When not driven, it lives in the garage under a cover. 37k on the roadster.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesclarkie
Has anyone had any major issues with the convertible top motor or hydraulics??

Thanks,

Jim
The biggest issue most have seen is the failure of that pesky divider switch in the trunk, that's located on the top left side, which indicates the divider is correctly in place.

This is the killer that drives many a new owner to drink.

Once you get it nailed down, it's a no brainer.

I think I saw one thread on low hydralic fluid.

But pretty much it's that poorly aligned little switch...

Old 02-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

And those pesky little flap cables

Old 02-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a problem with ours, but it might be an alignment issue...details in a different thread...

Old 03-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Forum Regular

Oh, and the other common issue is with the back window coming loose, especially in high heat, high humidity, areas of the country.

Chrysler has a limited recall for full replacement, or seach the Forum, as many have fixed with some cleaning, and a re-glue of the window...

Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
And those pesky little flap cables
X2 Mine have seized up as you know.Ordered two new ones at £60 ( $93 ) each.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:28 PM

Should the flap cables be lubricated periodically?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by stargzr
Should the flap cables be lubricated periodically?
I'm on a business trip, but when I get home, I'm gonna look at mine. I am thinking they SHOULD be lubricated.

Now, as to how and with what.... well, I'm gonna look at this when I get home.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 AM

I have a 2005, owned since 2007. The convertible top has worked flawlessly until recently. When I put the top up, the window latch doesn't seat itself (I have to get out and push down so it catches), then the motor quit (or so I thought) working completely. I took it to a dealer and told me they had fixed. It quit working again (assumed motor thing) and took it back to the dealer. The mechanic told me that it's because the cardboard divider ?? in the trunk must always be vertical or the top won't have a place to go). I told him this had never been the case for 4 years, but of course he dismissed me. And now, I have to get out and push the window down again, too. UGH...has anyone heard of this? I want to go back to the dealer and make them fix it, but want to be sure that I have something to present. Thanks!

Old 03-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dgon
I have a 2005, owned since 2007. The convertible top has worked flawlessly until recently. When I put the top up, the window latch doesn't seat itself (I have to get out and push down so it catches), then the motor quit (or so I thought) working completely. I took it to a dealer and told me they had fixed. It quit working again (assumed motor thing) and took it back to the dealer. The mechanic told me that it's because the cardboard divider ?? in the trunk must always be vertical or the top won't have a place to go). I told him this had never been the case for 4 years, but of course he dismissed me. And now, I have to get out and push the window down again, too. UGH...has anyone heard of this? I want to go back to the dealer and make them fix it, but want to be sure that I have something to present. Thanks!
The purpose of the divider is both as a safety factor, and to ensure nothing is in the way of the Top, as it lowers into the trunk.

If your Top went down without the Divider properly placed (Vertical), then either the Sensor Switch failed, or someone disabled the Switch.

I find it hard to believe that the Dealer was not able to test/fix the Switch for proper operation.

I would make sure this is right, as this pesky little Switch, could be the cause of some of your issues.

The Switch is located on the top Left hand side, where the Divider slips in when correctly in place...

Last edited by Kodebuster; 03-16-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kodebuster
The purpose of the divider is both as a safety factor, and to ensure nothing is in the way of the Top, as it lowers into the trunk.

If your Top went down without the Divider properly placed (Vertical), then either the Sensor Switch failed, or someone disabled the Switch.

I find it hard to believe that the Dealer was not able to test/fix the Switch for proper operation.

I would make sure this is right, as this pesky little Switch, could be the cause of some of your issues.

The Switch is located on the top Left hand side, where the Divider slips in when correctly in place...
I agree with this statement. If the Divider is NOT in place and the Microswitch has not activated, the top will NOT move at all, and NEVER will. The microswitch will also not activate if the divider is not properly seated.
If it has worked for the last 4 years and you obviously did not by-pass the microswitch, the shop did, which puts YOUR top at risk of damage.
You probably need a new microswitch assembly.
You can buy the switch assembly for about $25-30, and any layman, even me, can fit it in 10 minutes.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Forum Regular

No, I have 2 of them with no problem at all. Now when the wife and I were rookie owners and put items in the truck wrong it moved the security wall where the top will lie, and when had concerns witht eh top going up and down, but both of us know now and seem not to have any more problems.

KJ

Old 03-17-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I'm on a business trip, but when I get home, I'm gonna look at mine. I am thinking they SHOULD be lubricated.

Now, as to how and with what.... well, I'm gonna look at this when I get home.
I think if the tonneau cover were to be raised manually to a vertical position, perhaps a cable lubricating device like the ones used for motorcycles and bicycles would work. My roadster didn't come with the special tool for releasing the tonneau cover latch and I haven't found a substitute tool yet. I'm not sure that I have what is needed to make one.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:16 AM

I think if the tonneau cover were to be raised manually to a vertical position, perhaps a cable lubricating device like the ones used for motorcycles and bicycles would work. My roadster didn't come with the special tool for releasing the tonneau cover latch and I haven't found a substitute tool yet. I'm not sure that I have what is needed to make one.
I open mine with a 5.5mm allen wrench and a 10mm hand wrench...easy once you know the procedure. There is a thread covering that here!

Old 03-17-2012, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by lildaddym
I open mine with a 5.5mm allen wrench and a 10mm hand wrench...easy once you know the procedure. There is a thread covering that here!
HOW LONG does that 10mm wrench that unlatches the tonneau cover have to be?

I did find a 6mm allen today and located the rear window latch. Put it in my glovebox just in case.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:41 PM

HOW LONG does that 10mm wrench that unlatches the tonneau cover have to be?

I did find a 6mm allen today and located the rear window latch. Put it in my glovebox just in case.
Mine's about 6"...I might do a video of the manual process...

Old 03-18-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kodebuster
Oh, and the other common issue is with the back window coming loose, especially in high heat, high humidity, areas of the country.

Chrysler has a limited recall for full replacement, or seach the Forum, as many have fixed with some cleaning, and a re-glue of the window...
I saw that Chrysler recalled some 05's with the window problem. Mine is an 07 and I was able to fix it with some duco cement. Of course, that was 2 weeks ago and there's no telling how long it will hold.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by tom diehl
I saw that Chrysler recalled some 05's with the window problem. Mine is an 07 and I was able to fix it with some duco cement. Of course, that was 2 weeks ago and there's no telling how long it will hold.
According to Chrysler, there is no recall, but the X31 program is an extended warranty program that is for certain VINs delivered to certain areas of the country. Search for it...

Old 03-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lildaddym
Mine's about 6"...I might do a video of the manual process...
Looking forward to the video!

Quick Reply: Convertible top issues.