Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

winter wheels and tiers

Old 11-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter wheels and tiers

I recently purchased a 05 crossfire roadster and am looking for advice for winter tires. I currently have 18 inch rims on the front and 19 on the rear.
I am hoping to get some advice from some cold weather crossfire owners.

I have been to three different companies trying to find out about rims and tires for winter. I have been told I can go with 16 inch rims all the way and and 17 inch rims all around. I have been given 2 different sizes of rims and 3 different size of tires, looking at the blizex, please excuse spelling, or possibly studs.

just not trusting all the different information. Hoping someone with practical experience could let me know what they have been worked for them. I live in western Washington so we don't get a lot of snow but we do get a lot of ice.Thank you

Old 11-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: winter wheels and tiers

You can buy blizzak snow tires that will fit your stock rims.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The G-Max's I put on at being of the year are snow rated also, I going to try them out along with a couple tractor plate weights in the back.
Have not had a chance to try them out in snow/ice yet.
But I live in southern IL. Snow/ice is not to bad. Just have interstate driving on Sunday and thursday.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had great luck with Bridgestone Blizzaks on 3 cars and am getting a set for my Challenger this month.
I get tire/wheel sets from Tire Rack and just bolt them on myself. Try them for tire recommendations and wheel size info for your Xfire. They're happy to give you all the info you want over the phone. No pressure to buy from them.

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...21tirerack.com

Old 11-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought 18 inch rims all the way around. They then mounted Blizzaks on all four rims - but taller ones in the rear. You could mount blizzaks on your existing rims, but then you would have to remove them in the spring. That will wreak havok on the tires - it's better to have a set of rims and tires for the summer, and a set of rims and tires for the winter. My local Tires Plus store (where I bought the winter tires and rims) mounts them every spring and fall for free - they call it a "rotation" . It's a good deal.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Blizaks are good tires.
If I do not like the G-Max's I will order the Blizaks asap.
I drive 2-4 hours every Sunday and thursday (mainly interstate). This winter looks like 3 hrs to terra haute in. I-55 N, I-70 E going to put a couple tractor plate weights in back for the little xtra, hopefully that will work.
As long as I do not have to go through KY. Roads again in snow/ice. Was a nightmare last year days after snow fell.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just in case you wanted to hear one more person say it...

Bridgestone Blizzaks.

I have owned serveral brands of snow tires and the blizzaks have been the best. They got me to work with an oversteer-happy BMW Z3. I have a 1st gen Mercedes Benz M-class that was still built on a truck frame with full-time AWD (no electronic trickery); with the Blizzaks on that is unbelievably good in the snow, even ice.

*disclaimer: I have never tried the "performance winter" tires, only the full blown fancy compound.

Winston is right, better in the long run to get a 2nd set of rims.