Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

DIY Transmission leak fix with photos... TA DAAaa

Old 01-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: DIY Transmission leak fix with photos... TA DAAaa

Here is what can go wrong if you provide too much "help" in putting the sleeve in.

The circle on the left is where the pin came out of the slot (just below it). There is another pin on the right side also. Together they hold the connector in place until you "help" too much.

The bottom circle shows where the runs broke when the connector twisted. You can also see where things are shorted on the left side runs. You will know that you did it wrong when you put the car in gear and you are in limp mode.

IMG_1975m.jpg?t=1263072300

The following users liked this post:
Ship (08-26-2020)
Old 01-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Limp Mode, What is that? You put it in gear and it just won't go into gear?, right?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:14 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HowardJ
Limp Mode, What is that? You put it in gear and it just won't go into gear?, right?
I think it is a sexual dysfunction.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:18 AM
Forum Regular

Nevermind, Google worked.
I started the car and backed it out of the garage, a little up my driveway. But I had quite a bit of ATF leakage and didn't want to go too far with it. I seemed fine to me.
It amazed me getting back into this car after driving my old Grand Am for 2 weeks.. The windshield is half of the grand am's! But I fell in love again

But all seemed fine. I think I am going to check w/ my local chrysler dealership and see if I can get a transmission fluid flush (what's left of it) and have them change the fluid and filter. And have them hook it up to the scanner tool just to make sure everything is OK.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Forum Regular

OK. here is the deal.
I can't find much on doing an ATF change DIY. I bought the fluid Valvoline NAG-1, and the filter w/ pan gasket(?, I believe) I was going to have my local Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep dealership do it for me, with the stuff I bought. I called them today hoping to make an appointment, but they are closing their doors on Friday and are all booked until then.

Anything else relatively close is 1 hour away. Crawfordsville(IN) has a crossfire technician at their dealership. I am afraid to drive the car very far because I have no idea how much fluid is still actually left in the transmission. There was a lot that leaked out, but not 8.5 qts.

So is it safe to drive an hour away?
Can anyone point me into the direction of changing the ATF, with pictures preferrably?

Last edited by HowardJ; 01-19-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 AM

I just spent a bit of time explaining the whole trans fluid changing process and my computer blinked.
Lost it all!!!

Maybe I'll do it again tomorrow.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Forum Regular

If you would that would be so much greatly appreciated.
I'm just afraid of screwing up a $3k transmission..

Old 01-21-2010, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by HowardJ
If you would that would be so much greatly appreciated.
I'm just afraid of screwing up a $3k transmission..
Here ya go Howard!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post455674

Old 01-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks, tighed!
I asked a couple questions over there, hope you don't mind.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Walked in the garage on Monday night to check on my baby and noticed a small river of blood runnin from her. Ya, my turn....had the bushing and O ring set waiting so I worked on her last night. All went well with the much needed "what to do" directions and pics from Waldig ---Thank you Woody. Also the "What not to do" advise from Tighed1---Thank you as well.
Paid $22.00 for a litre of Crossfire/Sprinter ATF from the dealer but only needed half a litre. Also bought the dipstick locking tab from MB dealer for $1.19
You guys are awesome!!!

Old 10-08-2010, 10:36 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Does this leak also affect the NA Autostick as well.
Not sure since its only posted in the SRT6 Discussion.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:24 AM

Yes. All autos.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:15 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Following a weekend wash on the Xfire, when I pulled it back into the garage I noticed a very small spot on the driveway where I had washed it. It appeared to be transmission fluid. (Reading this -- timing is everything). I'm going to keep an eye on it, but thought I'd inquire as to what mileage most people were seeing this occur? I have less than 10K on her right now.

I'm going to take a closer look at it this weekend and if it's as described on this thread, I think I'll opt for a $70 charge at the dealer as opposed to a $20 DIY action right now. This helps tremendously going into the dealer though. (NOTE: I don't have a good lift set and I'd rather blame the dealer for any screw-up on the repair than me................

Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PNA
I'm going to keep an eye on it, but thought I'd inquire as to what mileage most people were seeing this occur? I have less than 10K on her right now.
Mine started leaking around 9k miles. My co-workers Crossfire is still not leaking after 25k miles.

I fixed my leak myself, but if the dealership will do it for $70 that is a good deal.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PNA
I'm going to keep an eye on it,
Just don't wait too long. What happens is tranny fluid wicks it's way up the wiring harness and shorts out the computer... cheap fix if done early, expensive fix later. Just my .02

Old 11-08-2010, 11:14 AM
PNA

Originally Posted by Buggin
Just don't wait too long. What happens is tranny fluid wicks it's way up the wiring harness and shorts out the computer... cheap fix if done early, expensive fix later. Just my .02
Good advice. Your .02 will save me $$$$$$$

Old 11-11-2010, 01:10 PM
PNA

Washed it again today. Tranny is still leaking slightly -- a few drips on the garage. Called the Chrysler dealer. The part is $12 ---- parts and labor to replace was quoted at about $180. No time to mess with this now or over the weekend so I'm going to suck it up and take it to the stealership. I'm hoping it will end up being less -- in the range of 80 to $100 like others have quoted on this thread. Oh well, I guess I'll look into some ramps soon --- not sure how I'm going to get any free time these days though.

The thread helped me identify the issue --- which makes it some much easier going into the repair shop.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you who attempt to replace the transmisson sensor housing, may I offer a small tip to save frustration. I had purchased the new part (they no longer sell only the "o" rings) in anticipation of my SRT6 developing the trans leak. Instead, I needed the part first for my 300C (same transmission). It would leak a few drops when driven on a very short trip in colder weather: I guess the transmission never got warm enough to swell the "o" rings. Anyway the part change was pretty straightforward, and I only lost about 1oz.of fluid, having jacked the car up pretty high on the passenger side only. When I tried to insert the new sensor guide, it would not seat, and I could not engage the 7mm bolt. I checked the guide slots (they were correct), but the new black "o" rings are much thicker than the old white originals. After about 30 minutes of absolute frustration and futile pushing on the part, I took a deep spark plug socket which spanned the 7mm bolt and rested on the plastic ridge above the pins that go through the sensor guide and gave it a light tap. The part snapped in, the bolt engaged, replugged the sensor, and I was done. It should have been a 15 minute job, and it will be when the SRT6 needs the same repair.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:17 PM

did my trans plug over the holidays . everything moving along smoothly then reinstall and i cant get it to seat!! using the previous thread hint i tapped it with a hammer and it seems to have seated. praying i didnt break anything inside!

Old 11-28-2010, 01:13 PM
PNA

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
did my trans plug over the holidays . everything moving along smoothly then reinstall and i cant get it to seat!! using the previous thread hint i tapped it with a hammer and it seems to have seated. praying i didnt break anything inside!
Summarized my ongoing saga on another thread. Bottom line, my connector was leakiing, ended up finding out it was still under warranty, dealer put a new connector in but also had to replace the valve body connector because the center bolt was stripped, had to leave it at the dealer for 3 days until part came in, they made the repair and it wouldn't shift regularly. Now it's back at the dealer waiting on a full valve body kit which I hope they get in tomorrow and get things squared away so I can bring her home. She's been there for about 8 days now. Good new is it's under warranty. Bad new is I haven't had use of my car for quite some time.

Keeping fingers crossed it's back in shape tomorrow evening.

Quick Reply: DIY Transmission leak fix with photos... TA DAAaa