Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Do it yourself DIY Belt Wrap Kit for less than $25

Old 10-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Do it yourself DIY Belt Wrap Kit for less than $25

I see no one has found a smooth pulley for your set up tighed1...so I am ordering the ribbed one and doing this mod this week before returning to US 41....no rain this time, I hope...unless there is something I missed thru all this read...32krazy, this worked for your C3 set up, right???? Cause that is all I am running....may go ahead and put my new belt on while I am at it...

Old 10-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I'll have to relook at all of the pulleys available at the Zone (AutoZone). When I first went this route I was looking for an exact sized pulley. Now that Woody has presented us with his Pulley Bearing Saver setup I may be able to figure something out.
May have to wait till the weekend.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:29 PM

I can do that, but I think your idea is the way I want to go...a ribbed pulley won't hurt anything, but the smooth would "look" better...lol

Old 10-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I see no one has found a smooth pulley for your set up tighed1...so I am ordering the ribbed one and doing this mod this week before returning to US 41....no rain this time, I hope...unless there is something I missed thru all this read...32krazy, this worked for your C3 set up, right???? Cause that is all I am running....may go ahead and put my new belt on while I am at it...
i have some fotos posted here. the belt ran so close to itself i wasnt comfortable running it so i removed it. dj has machined his grooved pulley down and is running it. im hoping he will do mine or find a smooth pulley to replace the idler pulley with. if you look thru the hread you will see the fotos. now goodgenes79 has the c3 setup and the same closness issues but hasnt had any problems with the belt rubbing see post 32

Old 10-22-2009, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
ok ill be sending mine !!
Don't send it. DIY! Here's what "I" did.

Had the pulley off and decided to try and smooth it out. Might want to have a spare on hand in case this doesn't work for ya. Started by breaking the ribs off piece by piece with my Leatherman. Only took a minute to figure out this wasn't gonna work. Time for the grinding wheel to get the bulk of the material off! Wear hand and eye protection! Grind till the ribs are just about gone.

Ok here's where I expect to catch some flack from you folks. Mount the pulley back on the car and hook everything back up.

Did he say put it back on the car?
Yep.

Get a shop vac and a file or a chisel or screwdriver with a sharpened end. Figure out a way to position the shop vac wand so it will catch the crap yer fixin' to shave off of the pulley (a friend or a trusted kid will work). Everybody have their hand and eye protection on?

Start the lathe, I mean car and shop vac.

Be careful! There are pulleys and a belt moving in there and they want a piece of you!

Working from the passenger side rub yer tool (keep it clean) against the now spinning rib-less pulley. Won't take long before you get the hang of it. Kind of fun actually! Cut till you feel it's smooth enough without taking too much material off. Be sure to make the smooth area wide enough for the belt to settle in.
In your case Krazy, enjoy yer extra clearance. For the rest of us just feel better that you aren't running your belt against the ribs anymore.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:46 AM

Guess a photo might be nice.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Don't do this at home folks.
What you have seen was done by a stunt man and is not to be attempted at home by any sane or insane person. This is crazy!
Have you seen what a moving belt can do with a tool jammed in to it, the tool can leave the belt at the same speed as the belt.
It did not happen to tighed1 and it may not happen to you but it will happen to somebody.
Don't take chances, use a lathe.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-22-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always meant to try this but didn't have a spare and was worried that the pulley was shelled instead of solid. Great job tighed1!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Don't do this at home folks.
Originally Posted by onehundred80
What you have seen was done by a stunt man and is not to be attempted at home by any sane or insane person. This is crazy!
Have you seen what a moving belt can do with a tool jammed in to it, the tool can leave the belt at the same speed as the belt.
It did not happen to tighed1 and it may not happen to you but it will happen to somebody.
Don't take chances, use a lathe.

Thus all of the WARNINGs in red in the post.
Not to encourage anyone (sane or insane) to try this but to be honest it went very smoothly. Not once did the pulley try to grab my cutting tool. I was more concerned with the belt grabbing me than the pulley grabbing the tool.
180 is correct. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! I do krazy stuff like this for a living, I'm a professional!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1

Thus all of the WARNINGs in red in the post.
Not to encourage anyone (sane or insane) to try this but to be honest it went very smoothly. Not once did the pulley try to grab my cutting tool. I was more concerned with the belt grabbing me than the pulley grabbing the tool.
180 is correct. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! I do krazy stuff like this for a living, I'm a professional!
Sorry this scared me, I have worked around machines for over 50 years and I have seen some bad scenes because of a split second of inattention.
When you get to the point that the sound of a machine does not chill you slightly then you have reached the point that an accident is not far away.
A machine will rip or cut anything you put in its path, they have no feelings and no soul.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:57 AM
She can ride with me ;)

LOL!

Eye protection! That's funny. Those silly plastic goggles are gonna help when that "lathe" kicks your chisel out of your hand and fires it right back at you.

Just keep your cell phone out, and dial 9 and 1 before you start. That way you only have to press the last 1 for the ambulance to come.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just tried this and it is not working for me.

I set everything up exactly as told, but the belt is actually completely touching in the spot everyone else was getting about 1mm of clearance. I would be happy with 1mm of clearance in the belt, but there is 0 clearance. This sucks!

Old 10-24-2009, 05:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so after the failure of usability from adding the new pulley and routing of the belt. I figured why not remove the supercharger idler pulley, similar to the design of the pulley saver kit. It does give more wrap than stock, but not as much as having the supercharger idler pulley in place to push the belt down.

I am worried about the addition of the new pulley above the alternator. I will be looking at getting a bracket made up, but will running it like this cause more stress on the bolt of the added pulley as opposed to when the stock SC idler is in place as well?

Here are some pics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC02146.JPG (2.13 MB, 159 views)
DSC02147.JPG (2.00 MB, 141 views)
DSC02148.JPG (2.09 MB, 132 views)

Last edited by Ryououki; 10-24-2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:22 AM

I was looking at that, keep us posted on how this worked for you, in the meantime, I am looking for a smooth pulley, and tighed, I could just rig up something to spin the pulley while filing it down...but will look for a smooth one first, then file if not...thanks to all....

Old 10-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Forum Regular

Why does the code3 offer more potential for slipping? Is it not grooved the same as stock, or what's the reason? Why doesn't the tensioner stop the belt from slipping?

Old 10-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Do it yourself DIY Belt Wrap Kit for less than $25

Its smaller and has greater load on the belt due to higher RPM. Less area for traction. I never had an issue till I stacked it with a 178 pulley.Woody

Old 10-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Forum Regular

So it's not slipping specifically off of the C3 pulley ... it may slip off any of the pulleys (but if so, the c3 would've caused it by the higher rpm)?

Old 10-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the NW pulley kit on my Aero so I had the factory SC idler on the shelf. I decided to see how hard it would be to turn it down on my lathe. Here are pics of it setup, turned down and with the belt set in.

This was not too hard, just a PITA since I didnt do any tooling to hold the part real tight to the head stock. I just put it up between centers and used friction. That means I couldnt take very big cuts or it would stop the part from spinning. After I cut down all the ribs, I had to open up the channel so the belt would sit down in the bottom. The finished diameter is 2.2" or about 56mm. That was cleaning all the ribs clear. Kind of looks like a spool for a fishing reel.......

Old 10-26-2009, 06:13 PM

ok, I'll order a new one for you Mike just put that one in the mail for me.....lol

Old 10-26-2009, 06:15 PM

miker thats awesome!! would you consider doing mine?

Quick Reply: Do it yourself DIY Belt Wrap Kit for less than $25