Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

What's the fastest you "Allegedy" driven your Crossfire?

Old 07-01-2016, 09:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: What's the fastest you "Allegedy" driven your Crossfire?

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
When they did my NA they claimed they didn't want to go beyond 6800 RPM. Because, we have Hydraulic lifters.
Don't we have both a top speed limiter and a Rev limiter? I think my rev limiter was set to 6500.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:48 PM
X-F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
What I worry about with high speed is the serpentine belt failure. That would be catastrophic. In the NA a simple push on the clutch and control would return for a steady coasting off velocity and eventually ,,,; the highway. All four wheels still on the ground.

I'm not sure what would happen, or the escape procedure if something like that did happen, in the autostick of the SRT. Plus you have that Supercharger either spinning wild or flying apart. Both outcomes not good.
This actually happened to me about a month ago, in my automatic. I was zooming down the freeway on an area that I know is unmonitored by ticket-givers. Lucky for me, I was going in a straight line when it happened, BUT I did not feel the belt system fail. Actually, it wasn't even the belt that snapped, one of the pulleys broke off completely (luckily it was only a $40 fix) and dislodged the belt entirely. After replacing the pulley, the old belt was snapped right back on. I only noticed that the belt system failed when I tried to turn a little bit, the steering wheel resisted like hell. This (obviously) freaked me out, because I was afraid that my car had broken something worse (I've spent A LOT of money keeping this car healthy ). All I did was let off the gas so that it would slow down naturally, went into neutral and braked when it was safe to do so. The car and I would have probably died if I needed to do any serious turning at that moment.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Cool Re: What's the fastest you "Allegedy" driven your Crossfire?

Well, there was this one time where we may or may not have been clocked by a Georgia State Trooper at 126 (so he said) driving along a long rural stretch of I-16 between Savannah and Atlanta.
Thank goodness he showed mercy and wrote it at 95or someone would have spent the night in jail and the other taking a bus home as the car would have been impounded until the fines and impound fees were paid on Monday. It was a weekend.. Always be polite and remorseful friends! I gladly wrote a big check and dropped it into the mail!

Old 08-05-2016, 07:21 AM
Thumbs up Re: What's the fastest you "Allegedy" driven your Crossfire?

I haven't gone as fast as some of you, well not recently. I have gone a 140 mph in my NA. And it was still climbing, ran out of road and possibly nerve. Fast enough. I just did that on my trip to NY. Appox'ly 2 mile straight road. Grew up racing and test driving on this road. Good times and stupid times. But I was fortunate, I survived. I really just wanted to see if a V6 would go that fast, guess so and more.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:00 AM

I had my 05 srt6 to 155 or so on the way to Vegas, totally comfy...

Old 02-11-2017, 10:03 AM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

When I brought my first Red Roadster home, it was about 80F (July 7, 2009) in central Georgia. I'd never driven anything other than pickups, vans and a Jeep. As I was making the super-long arc from southbound 675 to southbound 75 just south of Atlanta, I looked down and realized I was doing around 90 - had no clue I was going that fast.

I later got that car up to 110-120 on 75 early one Sunday morning when there was no traffic.

The Graphite? I got that up to low 130's on a lonely section of 75, again, early one Sunday morning.

The SE Roadster? I have my fun in the curves between 30 and 70 - going really fast in a strait line just does not do anything for me. I've had the car past 90 for brief bursts on interstates, mostly just to admire how it handles - but again, my fun is in the twisties.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:09 AM

>140 although it eight or nine years ago. Don't think I would do it now. I69 east of Lansing Michigan westbound myself and another ZH got into it on a sunny mid afternoon run. It was probably a Friday just out of work. The car really laid down and tighten up felt better at 100+ than 60.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since I don't live in Germany, Top Speed never really meant that much to me. My greatest enjoyment (in just about any car) is how well it accelerates and handles. That being said, you would think I would be driving an SRT. But I discovered 12 years ago (with my 96 Viper GTS) that having a car that's capable of doing 192 mph, and needing a car that can do 192 mph was never really that important to me to start with. It just took my (then new) 04 Crossfire to reminded me of that fact. I'm just glad I got it right when I bought my new 69 AMX.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:23 AM

I have achieved an actual speed of 172mph on 1-88 near Aurora Illinois. I couldn't believe it, but my GPS read out 172 which was what the speedo showed. The speedo is not real precise, but I know I was above 170. I have a 2005 SRT6 with 42,000 miles. I run about 108 in 1/4mile. Not bad for a stock car. Impressive.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:32 AM

I have hit 172mph in my SRT6. That's the fastest, but on another occasion I hit 150 and 160. I know because I have a GPS that reads out speed. My car is factory as far as I know. 2005 SRT6: UPDATE: I put true dual exhaust on the car and achieved 178mph. There's a video on YOUTUBE and the guy takes a video of his car's speedometer and he shows 179mph... no not kilometers. I actually believe I could have gotten above 180 as I was at about 5800 rpm and my rev limiter is set for 6300 as well as speed limiter has been eliminated. I have seen a couple calculations on what actual speed the SRT6 could achieve assuming minimal wind drag, and at 6300 rpm, and 5th gear, it calculates out t0 188. I also have seen another calculation of 194mph. Either number is very impressive considering the price and minimal improvements required to turn these cars into race cars. I do have the Eurocharge pulleys and computer flash. My next item is going to be the Needswings intake and I am forever done. I now plan to just keep the car from blowing up. I think these things are fragile and susceptible to all kinds of silly electrical problems. I have one literally at this minute with charging system. Acceleration causes alternator to stop charging.

Last edited by gkarr123; 05-18-2018 at 06:18 PM. Reason: UPDATE