Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

how to align headlights

Old 12-03-2012, 02:59 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to align headlights

Pretty foggy out right now comming home and noticed my hi beams and low beams needed to be re aligned , how do i do it ?

I Googled this and found someone saying on an "ask" website that they are electronic..is this true? If so how and where is the button or **** ?
If not how do i do it manually , it was really bugging me

Old 12-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: how to alighn headlights

Originally Posted by Jackerman
Pretty foggy out right now comming home and noticed my hi beams and low beams needed to be re aligned , how do i do it ?

I Googled this and found someone saying on an "ask" website that they are electronic..is this true? If so how and where is the button or **** ?
If not how do i do it manually , it was really bugging me
They are NOT electronic, there is a white **** on each unit that effects both high and low :

from the manual -
HEADLAMP ALIGNMENT PREPARATION
1. Verify headlamp dimmer switch and high beam indicator operation.
2. Inspect and correct damaged or defective components that could interfere with proper headlamp alignment.
3. Verify proper tire inflation.
4. Clean headlamp lenses.
5. Verify that luggage area is not heavily loaded.
6. Fuel tank should be FULL. Add 2.94 kg (6.5 lbs.) of weight over the fuel tank for each estimated gallon of missing
fuel.
8L - 112 LAMPS/LIGHTING - EXTERIOR - SERVICE INFORMATION ZH
ALIGNMENT SCREEN PREPARATION
1. Position the vehicle on a level surface perpendicular to a flat wall 7.62 meters (25 ft.) away from the front of
headlamp lens (Note: If necessary, tape a line on the floor 7.62 meters (25 ft.) away from, and parallel to the
wall).
2. From the base of the wall, measure up 1.27 meters (5 ft.), and tape a line on the wall at the center line of the
vehicle. Sight along the center line of the vehicle (from rear of vehicle forward) to verify accuracy of the line
placement.
3. Rock vehicle side-to-side three times to allow suspension to stabilize.
4. Jounce front suspension three times by pushing downward on front bumper and releasing.
5. Measure the distance from the center of headlamp lens to the ground. Transfer measurement to the alignment
screen (with tape). Use this line for up/down adjustment reference.
6. Measure distance from the center line of the vehicle to the center of each headlamp being aligned. Transfer
measurements to screen (with tape) to each side of vehicle center line.
HEADLAMP ADJUSTMENT
A properly aimed left and right low beam headlamp will project the center of the low beam hot spot on the alignment
screen below the horizontal center line and 152 mm (6 in.) to the right of headlamp center line. The high beam
headlamps cannot be aligned. The high beam pattern should be correct when the low beams are aligned properly.
To adjust headlamp alignment, rotate alignment screw to achieve the specified low beam hot spot pattern.

NOTE: There two covered horizontal alignment screws per unit, there were intended to be factory only adjustments, but you can search for onehundred80's thread on this if you like.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire
They are NOT electronic, there is a white **** on each unit that effects both high and low :

NOTE: There two covered horizontal alignment screws per unit, there were intended to be factory only adjustments, but you can search for onehundred80's thread on this if you like.
Not my thread, it is James1549 who wrote it.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks guys , so after aligning the head lights my high beams should align themselves basically right?
Kinda wishing they were electronic

Old 10-25-2014, 12:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally a thread that tells how to adjust them and not one that says they CAN'T be out of alignment!

THANKS for this!!!

Old 10-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Default Re: how to align headlights

There is an adjustment for the hi beam as well. The little light grey piece that is in the lower inside corner of the back of the fixture can be adjusted if you remove the insert that covers the screw adjust. It pops out and then you can see the white adjustable screw head inside.
This was shared to me from a mechanic that services Crossfires.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just always be sure that if you changed your headlights that they are in properly - I would think this is more common than out of adjustment issues. If they are pointed too low and have been changed they are likely not seated properly. Just saying as the dealer replaced the passenger assy. on mine and it ended up the bulb was not put in properly

Old 10-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Default Re: how to align headlights

I had the same thing. Dealer replaced the bulb and I could then use it for squirrel hunting, just not for driving.
The adjustment with the white end controls both the low and hi when it is turned, so by using the other, you can do the beams independently, and this helps. Mine were set up so if the hi beams focused correctly, then the low beams focused very close to the car, which makes it tough for driving on winding-onlit roads.