Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

HID in high beams

Old 04-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID in high beams

I want to put HID on my car but dont want them on during the day for DRL, so I was wondering if i put them in high beams , can i adjust them to go lower?

Old 04-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: HID in high beams

From what I know the headlight assembly will not allow you to aim the highbeams lower by themselves. Also, you don't want to put HID systems in the highbeams because of their warm up and cool down time. A halogen bulb reaches full brightness instantly almost, vs HIDs which require anywhere from 4 to 15 seconds to fully warm up to their highest brightness.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian_X
From what I know the headlight assembly will not allow you to aim the highbeams lower by themselves. Also, you don't want to put HID systems in the highbeams because of their warm up and cool down time. A halogen bulb reaches full brightness instantly almost, vs HIDs which require anywhere from 4 to 15 seconds to fully warm up to their highest brightness.

This is all true, good advice.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you were creative enough.. couple relays.. some spade ends.. run leads from lows connector to high bulbs (becomes DRL in high beam position in headlight) with relay - normally closed. Add HID to low beam position fed by high beam circuit which also would be wired to open high beam DRL circuit on the relay. Your high beams would be normal H7 bulbs but you wouldn't have the lows on with it. Makes sense in my head.. LOL.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008XF
I want to put HID on my car but dont want them on during the day for DRL, so I was wondering if i put them in high beams , can i adjust them to go lower?
The only way to properly disable the DRL's in our cars is to change out the headlight switch assembly with a US version. A few of the cnd crossfire owners should have some of the non DRL moduels laying around.

And as a fyi for us canadian owners, DRL's are only a requirement for importation into Canada, once the car is here and paperwork done it doent need to be operational. The only provice that has mandated "a operating DRL system" is Nova Scotia. I found out this tidbit last week

Last edited by Sik Srt-6; 04-26-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Sik Srt-6
And as a fyi for us canadian owners, DRL's are only a requirement for importation into Canada, once the car is here and paperwork done it doent need to be operational. The only provice that has mandated "a operating DRL system" is Nova Scotia. I found out this tidbit last week
Yes, this was pointed out to us some time back by TonyGG, the music man.
It is amazing that we have people in position to pass useless rules, spend a fortune on it and then it is worth diddly squat.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
It is amazing that we have people in position to pass useless rules, spend a fortune on it and then it is worth diddly squat.

Yes i totaly agree!

The concept for DRL's in northen climates makes sense, seeing that days are shorter, and darker and such, but the method of implementing it is a total screw up. The fact that the headlights are used as a DRL is the major flaw. Numerous times ive seen cars going down the hwy, without any tail lights on because of the DRL system on a vehicle without "auto on" headlights. The driver doesnt know hes in DRL mode, and not regular beam mode. Most of the new cars the stupid dash lights up even when in DRL mode. It not easy to spot a car on a dark hwy without tailights.

I dont want to side track the thread much but it must said

Old 04-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: HID in high beams

I have HID in both lamp sets, not an issue, they flash when turned on and the driving with 4 is really quiet the experience. I would not go back and do the h7 for anything. 35 hids are really the ticket, but I run in a different track than some. Enjoy

Weekend Woody
Weekend Woody
Weekend Woody
Weekend Woody