Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Side markers bulb socket

Old 05-26-2014, 08:32 PM
fer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side markers bulb socket

I everyone, I'm starting this post to share a little information I hope could be of use for some. My car has many body-related issues that I'm working on in order to get it back to it's best. Among other things, it was missing three side marker sockets, as well as two of the lenses. Well, I searched the forum and found a couple of other members who asked about the part number for the bulb holder/socket. Since those threads are a few years old I thought it would be best to create a new one instead of bringing them back.

In one of those threads it is suggested to use the regular "194 or 168" socket for the 5w5 bulbs, but the member never came back to confirm if it worked. I tried myself, went to Autozone an NAPA Autoparts, and the conventional 194 socket WON'T fit into the side marker, the socket is too big and won't enter the assembly.

Then I went to an independent store that sells parts and accessories for post-collision reapairs, there I found 194 sockets but instead of solid plastic they are made of rubber. They are actually are pretty cheap and don't seem to be of the greatest quality, but the fact that they are rubber allows you to trim them with a conventional cutter until yo shape them for a perfect fit.

The cost was $25 mexican pesos for each socket+bulb package, which is around only $2 US dollars.

I'm really happy since I really had a hard time trying to find the part number for the sockets and never found it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140526_134056 resized.jpg (372.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg
20140526_134203 resized.jpg (552.0 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by fer; 05-26-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Side markers bulb socket

Originally Posted by fer
I everyone, I'm starting this post to share a little information I hope could be of use for some. My car has many body-related issues that I'm working on in order to get it back to it's best. Among other things, it was missing three side marker sockets, as well as two of the lenses. Well, I searched the forum and found a couple of other members who asked about the part number for the bulb holder/socket. Since those threads are a few years old I thought it would be best to create a new one instead of bringing them back.

In one of those threads it is suggested to use the regular "194 or 168" socket for the 5w5 bulbs, but the member never came back to confirm if it worked. I tried myself, went to Autozone an NAPA Autoparts, and the conventional 194 socket WON'T fit into the side marker, the socket is too big and won't enter the assembly.

Then I went to an independent store that sells parts and accessories for post-collision reapairs, there I found 194 sockets but instead of solid plastic they are made of rubber. They are actually are pretty cheap and don't seem to be of the greatest quality, but the fact that they are rubber allows you to trim them with a conventional cutter until yo shape them for a perfect fit.

The cost was $25 mexican pesos for each socket+bulb package, which is around only $2 US dollars.

I'm really happy since I really had a hard time trying to find the part number for the sockets and never found it.
A really good fix. Thanks.
The part number of the old socket is probably molded into the plastic somewhere.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
A really good fix. Thanks.
The part number of the old socket is probably molded into the plastic somewhere.
Dave, next time you are in Mexico, please pick me up some........thanks

Old 05-27-2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Dave, next time you are in Mexico, please pick me up some........thanks
I have not been to Mexico for fifteen years, Cuba is where I go for a Spanish lesson. But if you want some DIY sockets for a '56 Chevy or something I'm your man.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Dave, their days are numbered.........

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
cuban 57 chevy.jpeg (69.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Dave, their days are numbered.........
Yes they are, when the yanks get in there they will loose every thing they have gained.
They are a proud people but the US$ will corrupt them again.
The US ruined them once and will do it again.

Better the devil you know than the devil, you don,'t.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:39 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The US ruined them once and will do it again.

Better the devil you know than the devil, you don,'t.
I'm all for deportation ... let them take those skills learned here back! What a great country it could be then!